Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Mack C can Euro

Finished C can Euro after a 2 hour delay looking for the last tiny piece that shot out of the needle nose pliers Mack makes the best kits very easy to work with 1/32 stuff is a little tougher then 1/24 but a lot of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mack c euro1..jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	10403  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mack c euro..jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	10404  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, SPECTACULAR work! Yes, that is very much like the ES32 chassis I have, just a big motor box. That'll be a very cool car. What bodies do you run? Don't you hate that when the last little bit goes screaming across the room like a miniature missle landing somewhere. Also amazing how many spacers you find in the process of looking.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

2 hour delay looking for the last tiny piece that shot out of the needle nose pliers
    I find it amazing how focused you can become telling yourself that the tiny piece you are looking for is pretty much worth $120.00!

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

After the last time looking on my hands & knees for longer than I care to admit....... I use a old sheet. I drape it out across everything as wide deep & high as possible. I will even lay it on my lap. Then I use an old D can magnet to hold the cut off small pcs. Anyone have a better way? For a while I was thinking a small alligator clip & string, attached to the small part before I started cutting, or threading a small fishing string thru all the holes before starting.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by slotcar racer View Post
    what bodies do you run?
    red fox audi r10 open cockpit
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

Quote Originally Posted by mic byrd View Post
    finished c can euro after a 2 hour delay looking for the last tiny piece that shot out of the needle nose pliers mack makes the best kits very easy to work with 1/32 stuff is a little tougher then 1/24 but a lot of fun.
    very happy you found that last part, looking forward to makin laps with my newest car of the fleet.....

Thanks mic, awesome chassie building...
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    After the last time looking on my hands & knees for longer than I care to admit....... I use a old sheet. I drape it out across everything as wide deep & high as possible. I will even lay it on my lap. Then I use an old D can magnet to hold the cut off small pcs. Anyone have a better way? For a while I was thinking a small alligator clip & string, attached to the small part before I started cutting, or threading a small fishing string thru all the holes before starting.
    Or, you can just order the chassis assembled and leave the inverted camping tent in the garage with the fishing tackle

Some time ago on another thread somebody was having trouble with the magnets coming out of the Cahoza production cans and said Cahoza used super glue for an adhesive. Actually, it is an epoxy glue, not super glue. This glue works fairly well temporarily. The set ups are a great deal for less than $40, perfect brush hood alignment, perfect airgap, good quality bushing in the can. However, I have found the magnet epoxy is really only temporary, maybe good for a few races. As a preventative measure, I am starting to knock those magnets out and regluing with Skinner Epoxy. This morning I took a new Cahoza "O" set up, got a glob of solder on the iron and applied to the can while putting mild downward pressure on the small exposed section of magnet....it only took 10-15 seconds for the magnets to let go. That's not really very good. Koford epoxy takes less than a minute, but longer than this. Skinner epoxy can take sometimes four minutes to unglue.

What I noticed is the inside of the can was not scored or roughed up at all. I think if they just scored the inside of the can (which takes a little more time) the "production epoxy" they use would probably hold up about the same as Koford. Actually, the scoring of the inside of the can is really important no matter what epoxy you use.

So, tonight I am going to reglue those magnets and install a Koford 12 arm. I was rummaging through the junk box and found a Nukestar motor...a Falcon set up with a Pro Slot Euro can endbell, and inside was a virtually new Koford G12 arm rebalanced by Alpha! Again, I need to go through that box more often. Arm looks great, so I'll try it in this new O Set Up with around a .530" airgap.

SCR funny you mentioned the cahozza epoxy I have 3 cans on my bench that there epoxy let go in about 2 or 3 race' 1 let go from grinding to get it to mesh with &/40 gears
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic remember when assembling anything complex the distance the part flies is solely based on how hard it is to get a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR funny you mentioned the cahozza epoxy I have 3 cans on my bench that there epoxy let go in about 2 or 3 race' 1 let go from grinding to get it to mesh with &/40 gears
    I had an arm blow up a few weeks ago, destroyed the T2 mags in a production set up. They were pretty much cracked in half. So, it kind of amazed me how easy it was to knock them out for replacement....kind of freaked me out as a matter of fact.

As for parts flying, the ones you really do not want to lose are the Horky ones! You can also lose those to damage cuz they are so darned delicate.

Cool Mack soldering method

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Finished C can Euro after a 2 hour delay looking for the last tiny piece that shot out of the needle nose pliers Mack makes the best kits very easy to work with 1/32 stuff is a little tougher then 1/24 but a lot of fun.
    Nice job Mic. Did you use the Richard Mack soldering method, soldering from underneath? I've got one of these to build & want to try this method.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    Nice job Mic. Did you use the Richard Mack soldering method, soldering from underneath? I've got one of these to build & want to try this method.
    Jenson46 yes I did 95% of the soldering from underneath very clean job doing it that way. Thank you for the complement
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Finally found the pic of the upside of the mac as used so successfully by James Cleave here in the uk. This car is seriously quick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0040..jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	10422  

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Finally found the pic of the upside of the mac as used so successfully by James Cleave here in the uk. This car is seriously quick.
    Pat, that sure looks exactly like the latest Mack ES32 except with a Pro Slot C Can motor. I would imagine it is very quick. The Exterminator can set up must be a really nice fit for the small chassis, that one is much like a strap can, but I seem to remember it made gobs of gauss because of the thick gauge can material. But somewhere in the back of my mind is saying they may have lightened the gauge of the can metal. Do a lot of Saloon cars have the Exterminator can?

Also note the very, very close tolerances around the gears! Looks like everything is very tightly wedged in with these little cars. Good tech photo, thanks!