Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Pat
    Thanks for the picture just see 1 thing different on James's chassis not a big deal but will keep it in mind for tuning
    SCR
    been working on the motor and your right no room to spare using old 714 Proslot can and endbell the 1 with the hole close together on the endbell.super wasp arm 42* .540 arm t5 mags .565 hole may go to .570 on hole.should have this car ready for end of month testing .Waiting on some 2 Mil gears , axle ,bearing for rear
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I think I still have 3 or 4 of those cans. I might have to pull the SMQ mags out of them and put in some Kofords and give it a try. Those were always good cans. I think I even have a couple of the thinner ones.

Nice picture Pat! That looks like a fun class!
    Gary Johnson

Finish the C can euro Proslot can 714 Motor and it sounds very stout jay has the 3 roid choke so it will be easy to tame. Also finished new 16d Motor also for jay Speed FX can camen Mags .580 air gap new cahoza spring set at 5.6 ounces for a little more brake Proslot .560 Dia 45* arm.Wish they made those magnets .005 thicker you could tighten airgap up a little and hone them for a nice finish.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

The old proslot can is used alot in the uk. new models of this can are a very high qulity. No straightening or very little is required. We use them in 24 production as well.

Hey Mic, I hear a lot about the spring tension. Lately, I've heard about some folks running an extra 10% on the axle side of the motor on 16d's. Have you ever done this? Is this something to consider? All motors?
    Jay Herrod

Jaybird
    I've never done that in my mind I want everything to be equal on the spring tension and I'm sure there are guy's that have different opinions . I pay a lot of attention to my spring tension and use a xipp spring dyno to set the tensions I've found that you can adjust the spring tension up and down and get different motor characteristics like less brake more brake and overall power band a lot of trial and error with it but I now have guide lines for each motor set up. a couple 3 years ago we would do this with air gap but now I do it mostly with spring tension. Imho spring tension is the finishing tough to a motor build.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

And here I thought "spring tension" was when you couldn't get a date in March....
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Funny Paul but I thought it had to do with being married in March...oh wait, that's all year long .
    Mic, I've ordered the same dyno and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I plan on trying both equal and +10% settings soon. Thanks for the feedback!
    Jay Herrod

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Funny Paul but I thought it had to do with being married in March...oh wait, that's all year long .
    Mic, I've ordered the same dyno and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I plan on trying both equal and +10% settings soon. Thanks for the feedback!
    Damn Jay you trying everything aren't ya ?!?!?! Just bust out a fiddle stick bro!!! Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Finally broke the log jam of trying to get work done this week. Got a lot accomplished this morning, now just taking a coffee break. I repaired the UL set up with new T2 magnets, the magnets that were in the can got careened by spitting arm laminations. Got out Mr. Skinner last night and glued in the T2s and a fresh set of T5s into the "O" can that the T2s used to live in. How's that for switching stuff around? Thought I'd give the "O" a try, looks like a good can, a little meatier than the UL. Trued the comm on my NORCAL Super Wasp and stuffed that into the new "O" set up. Had to straighten one pan on the LMP, a .025" C11 pan (dangerous) then mounted the new motor with my favorite arm. Testing is tomorrow.

Meeting Hermantor at Frank's tomorrow. Gotta mostly test the FETroller with the Tworoid Choke I got from Bugenis. Probably ES32 is the best class to test the choke. More to come later....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Got the car packed up, heading up to Frank's in a few minutes. First got my personal training at the Apple Store at 9am, then headed over to the grocery store, got home and off loaded the goods. Main testing today is the new RUBBAH from Proformance. Mounted 25 pairs yesterday, meeting Hermanator in an hour and we will need to cut down the rough tires. Initially it looks like really good rubber, but of course the final test is on the track. David has maybe only 1000 pairs of donuts left but expects more soon. I have some mounted on 2mm for 1/24 ES, a pair for ES32, and several 3/32" .810W pairs. Results coming in later today.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Jenson46 yes I did 95% of the soldering from underneath very clean job doing it that way. Thank you for the complement
    Mic, started building my one, have put the spine in & soldered in from below. The result is the best looking solder joints I've ever done! I do have a problem though. I've put the motor box brace & pillow blocks in place( not soldered yet ) & I can't see how the motor will clear the axle, without grinding a huge amount of the can & magnet away. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. Also, is it necessary to use a 2mm axle for every thing to fit?

Cheers,Paul

Jenson46
    It depends on what gears your going to run .7/43 with a 16* gear the motor fits perfect with out any grinding If you go 7/40 you have to cut down the motor mount bracket and cut a good cut in can and magnet the 7/40 mess is very finicky I would recommend 7/43 or7/42
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks Mic, I'll go & solder in the motor brace & pillow blocks. (I just love the result from soldering from below)
    So, can I get away with a 3/32axle?

Cheers,Paul

Paul
    3/32 axle is fine
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com