Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SCR
    we could have 14 f-1's Saturday on the UK black .I'm really looking forward to this race .F-1 are very interesting have to pay 100% attention to them.I put it into the wall a few times so I pretty sure I learn a good lesson from my practice session. Took it apart changed gear and reset motor and cleaned it all up had a little tweaking to do but think its going to be real good come Saturday.I'm going to pick up a note pad so I can write things down Not getting any younger LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    we could have 14 f-1's Saturday on the UK black .I'm really looking forward to this race .F-1 are very interesting have to pay 100% attention to them.I put it into the wall a few times so I pretty sure I learn a good lesson from my practice session. Took it apart changed gear and reset motor and cleaned it all up had a little tweaking to do but think its going to be real good come Saturday.I'm going to pick up a note pad so I can write things down Not getting any younger LOL
    I knew you guys were building up a program, but 14 F1s is beyond what I was thinking! That is awesome. These are the most rewarding and most punishing cars all at the same time. They are fun though. Wait, they aren't fun. Why don't you tell me what you think after the race?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I can't believe I spend most of my President's Day sitting at the workbench grinding tires. Incredible. I did figure out a good way to turn down a lot of tires quickly without having to buy a huge tire truer like Hermanator's. I used both my R-GEO tire coring needle and the Proformance HOGGER. I got the coring attachment adjusted nicely to get the tire down to about .715". I find you have to put a slight angle inward towards the inside edge of the tire, maybe just a few degrees to get a straighter cut. If you just mount the attachment so the piano wire is parallel to the tire truer shaft, the point of the piano wire will wander and you get a cone shape. It only takes a small compensation to adjust for this.

Once down to .715", the Hogger takes it down to .700" immediately. This leaves the tire as a perfect size rough cut as I use .680" for my 42T cars and .665" for my 40T cars. With the finishing diamond wheel it doesn't take much to get the tires finished.

I did 25 pairs yesterday and have another 25 which I glued up yesterday. This should take me through the Nats as I don't want to look at gluing tires again for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    Mic,
    You think any of the Jersey guys will be making the tek to SCR for the 2011 Nats to un the USRA/ISRA classes at the Nat's It should be a fun time and the rules are all the same.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Mic,
    You think any of the Jersey guys will be making the tek to SCR for the 2011 Nats to un the USRA/ISRA classes at the Nat's It should be a fun time and the rules are all the same.
    Mike I would love to but business has been anything but steady so I won't be able to go and haven't heard any talk from the rest of the guys but haven't been around the club much the last few months.will ask this weekend and let you know
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George:

Sorry to hear your so tired...
    Guess I got it easy.... have to remove magnets from the can...oh yeah... bake new ones in the can and hone it....then paint my body.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 02-22-2012 at 07:41 AM.

[QUOTE=Slapshot;287833]George:

Sorry to hear your so tired...
    Guess I got it easy.... have to remove magnets from the can...oh yeah... bake new ones in the can and hone it....then paint my body.

Thanks Raymond, I was tired, but now I am retired. So, time for a tiresome review of the past few days.

DSCN4582 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

This is the R-GEO tire coring device. When set up correctly, it does a really nice slice job with minimal tire heating. I had it set to .715" last night, then had the Proformance HOGGER set to .700". This gives me a good rough cut tire to take to the track and finish off on the day of the race.

DSCN4583 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

The trick with the R-GEO tire coring attachment was a simple modification to the piano wire...the above photo, although a bit out of focus, shows the wedge shaped point. This helps the point track straight through the rubber....only a 2 degree angle inward is needed to get the straight cut.

Tonight I'll be tired again.

Hermanator text messaged me this morning, he was on the way to the Oakland International Airport to take a plane to Boise, Idaho for the race this weekend. Good luck this weekend Hermanator!

Pretty much got the tires finished up last night. Trued the F1 tires down to finished product, the UFRA rubber is so smooth, really nice stuff. You can get two tires out of one donut as the donuts measure 1.350" wide.

Next project is some bodies for the NORCAL race coming up in two weeks at Frank's. Results from Rocklin are posted on the NORCAL website. In GT12 I did end up with fast time 3.508.....however a dismal 5th place finish! My favorite heat though was heat #17 when I was on blue lane (47 laps) with Berteinstein next to me on yellow (48 laps!! high lap count). That heat made the entire trip worthwhile, both of us really enjoyed it. The only thing I can figure out is that on many heats during that race there were countless track calls. I remember muttering to myself, "I think I got in a lap that time"....one of those races. At least I know the car had speed. Congrats to Don Raeburn (1st) and Berteinstein (2nd) and CRASH CODGER (3rd), and a great result for Third Eye Howard (4th).

I keep looking at the GT12 results and the more I look the more things I see. One thing I noticed is that almost everyone had big problems on the red lane. Codger only turned 35, he said he kept deslotting. I know that I turned only 37 because I kept coming out in the kink before the lead on. Notes to self: 1) practice on red (I didn't...oops) 2) turn down brakes on red, white and green to slide through the kink more smoothly.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 02-23-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Notes to self: 1) practice on red (I didn't...oops) 2) turn down brakes on red, white and green to slide through the kink more smoothly.
    We need to ask Mr. Rocha how to drive those "upper" lanes- He seemed to do pretty well on those-

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Pulled the motor out of the Mack ES32 last night. This one is a Camen set up, single mags but taller than the usual small block. Instead of .400" tall, these mags are .455"T which happens to be same as a Gulliver motor. Only thing is, this is the standard width can, about .625" wide o.d. This evening I'll be pulling the .500" hone through it and will try a PK 23t25 arm. The arm has been run hot, then reground and reconditioned at Camen, so it is pretty new and not really tried out.

Got the tires finished last night, plenty of tires ready for NORCAL next weekend, and then the Nats at the end of the month.

Haven't gotten any updates from Hermanator from Boise yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Haven't gotten any updates from Hermanator from Boise yet.
    His cars seem good and he knows the track well. Hes gonna be tough to beat
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    His cars seem good and he knows the track well. Hes gonna be tough to beat
    Dub, I don't care about the slotcars, I just want to find out where he is having breakfast.

OK, just in from Boise....Denny's has a 15% discount for those who are staying at the hotel. Those are all the details I've gotten so far.

Hermanator had scrambled eggs with cheese, turkey bacon and chicken sausage. He says the track (Canadian White) is nice. I'll keep you updated.

Good luck over there Herman! I wish I were there. I love the Canadian White. But I need to concentrate on getting my fleet ready for the Nats. That means any extra funds have to go in the piggy bank for my trip south right now.

I think I just might pick up a BD3 kit tomorrow if Jim has any left for my trip south. That will give me 3 BD's (one of each version) and 1 PMP for the race. The new chassis will get a brand new .540" ProSlot arm in a Cahoza can with either Koford magnets or maybe even Mega III magnets. I'll have to wait to find out what body, but it will likely be the JK BMW.
    Gary Johnson