Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Tomorrow our club is having it;s monthly "Flat Track Fever Race" We race 1/32 c can eursports chassis with Falcon's or Puppydogs with GTP bodies. The second class is LMP flexi.s with Falcon or puppy dogs motors. The third class is GT12 with 12's C can or mini motors and big dog arms and mini motors will be legal till april 1st then we go C can only after that with GTP bodies. I tested this afternoon for several hours my
    1/32nd was great I run a Mack Saloon put togrther by George and it runs really good I have a problem in the donut about every 20 laps it goes straight off on exit but every where else it is awesome to drive and runs fast really fast. My LMP flexi was the best it has been in 3 races. My GT 12 is a hurting unit it is .3 slower then it has been with a faster motor!
    Could it be more rear steer in one side of the chassis making the car inconsistent and making the car slower?
    We will see Tomorrow I get up early and head to the track to race 3 classes hope to have great time with all my buddies. Our club has been getting many new racers and the Saturday races are a great time for them to get there cars worked on by me and other advance racers and it has seem to make them a lot better racers!
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Tomorrow our club is having it;s monthly "Flat Track Fever Race"
    Could it be more rear steer in one side of the chassis making the car inconsistent and making the car slower?

We will see Tomorrow I get up early and head to the track to race 3 classes hope to have great time with all my buddies. Our club has been getting many new racers and the Saturday races are a great time for them to get there cars worked on by me and other advance racers and it has seem to make them a lot better racers!
    Brian, I'm looking forward to seeing how you did, and how the event went. Sounds like great classes, especially the 1/32 scale class. As far as the rear steer goes, yes it makes a big difference if the car is set up assymetrically. Personally, I try to use only a minimum of rear steer on GT12 chassis, and sometimes none at all. At a recent NORCAL race I saw one Bulldog chassis set up with double steer! I have no idea of how that car could make one lap. There were .032" piano wire rails floating between a front and rear pin tube. Anyway, that is not how I would set up a car and I let the owner know it. Sure hope he fixed it.

Tomorrow will be an interesting meeting with Peter Lentros of the Purple Mile fame. Peter is the man who runs Modelville Raceway near Boston where Gary Gerding restored the Playland Sovereign track. Peter wants to visit a museum called Playland Not At The Beach which is in the small town of El Cerrito....it's where I grew up, I mean tried to grow up....I only live a few miles from PNATB. The museum is apparently a lot of stuff from the old Playland amusement park at Ocean Beach in San Francisco. That's where the world famous slotcar raceway was located. I'll find out more about what brings Peter out here tomorrow, we are meeting for lunch at Tubby's near Slot Car Raceway, then visiting Frank's place. Actually, I plan more of a testing session than a visit!

Rebuilt four 1/32 Eurosport motors today, very painstaking process. Replaced some endbell bearings and unfortunately one went out of alignment so I had to nuke it out of the endbell and reglue it. Second time was the charm. So I have some little eurosports to test tomorrow. Then I need to try out a new Super Wasp motor for next week's NORCAL race at Slot Car Raceway. With the Scale Nats coming up at the end of March and NORCAL on the first Saturday, it feels a bit overwhelming right now. It will all fall together.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Well any story that starts out with well didn't end well! I practice my 1/32nd scale car and it was really fast .2 faster then any one has run. I ran 5.4 but it would be the fast lap with my old car. The new car would average 5.4 and the fast lap was 5.2 my fast lap in LMP was only 5.10 so the 1/32 was flying. Nobody wanted to race 1/32 after that!
    Next was flexi LMP the race was good Victor R. came and race he has been preping for the Nats and it showed he was flying turned 263 laps with a hawk7 motor thats 4 laps less then he turned when he came in 2nd at the Norcal race. I came in 2nd with 257, Victor had a fast time 4.9 and I had fast time of 5.1. After the race I regeared my car and it was turning much faster times. I'm trying to transition away from Hawk Motors and making a puppy dog motor run the speed I need is harder then I wanted it to be. My PD motors are starting to go fast as my Hawk motors did. I have month's in testing Hawk motor's and 2 weeks on PD's and gearing and brush tension is totaly different. Hawk motors are illegal as of April 1st and the club is starting payouts next month so I better work harder!
    In GT 12 Victor just plain spanked us he is a very good driver and put it to us my gt 12 was inconsistent and it needs some more work. Since I got into that wreck in the last race it hadn't been as good. I will rejig it and check it for straightness because it is not close to being right I may have to build a new one it is so Inconsistent in it's handling. So Victor had 2 wins on the day
    Go fast or go Home.

Wow, that's a drag they didn't run 1/32!!! Shouldn't have showed your hand Brian! Sometimes you gotta keep the car in the box. My illegitimate nephew Victor did well as usual. Yes, the lad is very talented, it's in his slotcar racer blood for sure.

Gotta get ready to go to Frank's now, but first to the grocery store. Looking for results from the GTP race last night, see if Hermanator could pull one out of the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post

Gotta get ready to go to Frank's now, but first to the grocery store. Looking for results from the GTP race last night, see if Hermanator could pull one out of the hat.
    Herman had a fast car last night. Brought the horsepower. The race was rough. Herman shredded gears, Randizzle shredded gears, Odie shredded gears, broke guide flags. Ripped bodies everywhere. Fun race to watch. The marshals were sweating more than the racers.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Had a lot of fun yesterday meeting Peter Lentros of Modelville Raceway near Boston. Peter owns the original Playland Sovereign, the "Purple Mile". We got together at Tubby's Restaurant near Slot Car Raceway, site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats and track owner Frank Sarkela met us. Peter told us the story of the Sovereign and went on to tell us why he had travelled all the way to California this week. The main attraction is a big HO scale meet up near Eureka, CA. Peter is going to take a puddle hopper up there on Wednesday. He was a treasure trove of stories and knowledge having been in slotcar racing since 1965 with a brief respite during the late 80s.

After an enjoyable and leisurely brunch, we went to SCR and I tested cars for this coming Saturday's NORCAL race. Found a couple of serviceable cars, good enough to try to dodge all the debris and chaos that will ensue. Also tried out all four 1/32 Eurosports and was very pleased with the motor in the newer Horky that I had to install the endbell bearing twice on Saturday. The extra work paid off as the car ran in the 3.5s on purple. Also Baby Piero's new motor is sweet, got 3.6s with that one....a Camen single mag set up with .455TX .300L magnets and a PK 23t25 reconditioned by Camen.

After I was finished thrashing around the track, Frank loaned Peter a Hawk powered flexi LMP. Peter brought his Difalco 1/24 controller (and his Difalco HO controller) and I was really impressed with how quickly he picked up the Testarossa. Very smooth driver. It was a great afternoon, and I even had time to get home and walk the beagles after chow time.

Put the finishing touches on three G12 motors last night and found one that sounded pretty good at 5 volts, so that one is sitting next to the Bulldog 3 I plan to run this Saturday at NORCAL.

Also got in my new Pro Slot 1/32 F1 armature in the mail...really excellent quality on this piece, timing around 5 degrees and a 45t29, my favorite F1 wind. This arm goes into a new Camen "Piero Spec" set up...this is the same spec as what Piero won the 2010 Worlds in Chicago with. The armature is ultrashort, but I am hearing about some even smaller motors, I think Cahoza. If we raced this class more in the USA it might make sense to do a lot of R&D on these cars, but one race a year doesn't support a whole bunch of effort.

Anyway, I think the Pro Slot armed motor will go into Mr. Horky and my old Camen armed motor will go into Mr. Mack and we will see who gets the job at the Nats in a month.

SCR
    We are going to try and run them once a month next race will be the end of March Saturday will be all euro and jrl then Sunday will be our last Garden State Isra Race for the year championship to will be in April at the Speedzone then hopefully Isra Nats this summer. The first outing for the f-1 didn't last long 19 laps and got rydered into a wall six feet from the track car took it pretty well but gear didn't make it fun while it lasted have to make gear keeper for it will try again at the end of March.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    We are going to try and run them once a month next race will be the end of March Saturday will be all euro and jrl then Sunday will be our last Garden State Isra Race for the year championship to will be in April at the Speedzone then hopefully Isra Nats this summer. The first outing for the f-1 didn't last long 19 laps and got rydered into a wall six feet from the track car took it pretty well but gear didn't make it fun while it lasted have to make gear keeper for it will try again at the end of March.
    Hey Mic, what are you hearing about the ISRA Nats, and would you like to share?

Kvan
    Just talk right now so I don't want to say anything until it gets finalized
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks Mic. It sounded like a good time last year, so I don't want to miss it again!

Hey KVAN! Just show up and experience them. There is plenty of room for you and with a highly welcome mat included. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by caprikinggus View Post
    Hey KVAN! Just show up and experience them. There is plenty of room for you and with a highly welcome mat included. Gus in Sacto
    Hey Gus !
    You and Jerry in for the Nats ?
    Hows the ticker ?
    Bringing any Bookers this time ?
    Alan Ingram

SCR now i know how you feel after tire-aplooza.
    Just finshed masking and currently airbrushing 18 plus bodies for four of the Seattle contigents plus myself.....
    Spleef...smurf...drool/sleepy...too much acitone and Pactra/Testors......

Raymond

Hey Alan! The Nats are in our sights, of course. I'm doing so much better the last month that I'm scared, scared for my competitors. It's my mental stability the last two weeks that are of question. That I'm working on. I've had several events in my personal life lately that have kept me from playing with my toy cars. How's it going back east? Have you had time and resources to look for any tracks? Gus in Sacto