Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

David Liebenthal, is Proformance correct? How do you get the Hogger?
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    David Liebenthal, is Proformance correct? How do you get the Hogger?
    http://www.proformanceracing.biz/vco...roducts_id=487

Dustyn, I believe David has a very reasonable raceway discount, so give him a call.

Slotcar Racer, Over and Out

I put the HOGGER away a few hours ago, got 28 pairs rough cut. The new Speedshop rubber I got is really hard, even the Hogger was working hard. But the Piranhas cut like butter. Once all the rough cuts were bagged up and marked, I pulled out the new Horky chassis and readjusted the pans. With some practice this procedure has become easier and I eventually got the pans to lift simultaneously with the center section. Next, I installed a new pair of Koford axle bearings, rear axle and a Cahoza 44T 80 pitch 3/32" axle gear. At the front end, put in a new Koford guide which I sanded down a lot to get the front of the car as low as possible.

Right now the tall block, the 480 tall single set up, is breaking in a Valiko 22t24.5, so I'm getting pretty close to finishing it up. I'll probably leave for SCR around 1:00pm. Lots of rain in the Bay Area, I don't think much of a chance of getting the beagles out, but maybe a short neighborhood walk before I leave for Rohnert Park. Testing report following tomorrow.

This is what beagles do on a cold, rainy day when they cannot go out for a walk....
    DSCN4025

The testing went really well yesterday. The new 16D in my 4" NASCAR is a monster, really makes a lot of power. I didn't have the right rubber on the car (too hard) and the tires were way big, but still managed some 4.94s.

The Truck needs more brakes, the Brazilian angle tip mags just aren't creating enough braking for that big ol brick. Even with the lack of brakes, it ran consistent 5.4s and one 5.38 hare lap. So, I built another Pro Slot set up last night and brushed the comm on the old RJR 16D arm....will probably go up again today and try it.

I'm in good shape with GT12, the older Bulldog has a good stout motor, and the newer one could use more motor, so I'm breaking in a Kelly 3 hole set up with a Koford arm right now, will also try that today.

LMP is more of a problem. I've been disappointed with my new arms recently purchased, so last night I put a Koford Competitor in one of the new Cahoza T5 set ups and it sounded scarey on the analyzer. Again....will test that today.

Finally, the new Horky was incredible. I put a Valiko 22t24.5 in the tall set up, used 3/32" axle with the new Cahoza carbon fiber hubs. I don't know which ingredient worked, but right out of the box it ran 3.1s and the tires were wagon wheels, I was about .040" under the rear end. Right now I am going to throw the 455 tall single mag set up in the older Horky and try that...today also....better go now, heading over to Home Depot to get tire glue.

Home from work today being one of those damned collective bargaining employees with all the holidays and causing all the budget problems for the State of California. Oh yeah, but pretty cool we helped Jerry Brown so much and he is going to be on our side. Oops, Slotcar Racer delved into politics...very bad....will stop now. I was going to drive up to Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif., site of the 2006 & 2008 USRA Scale Nats, but they were closed so I stayed home and worked on the parts I already had. I did some semi finished tire work on the 28 pairs I built last week, all the 3/32" magnesium hubs are trimmed down to .700" and those Cahoza carbon fiber hubs are down to .680".

I did go ahead and convert my first Horky chassis back to 3/32" rear bearings. It was a little tedious because it had 2mm flanged bearings in the rear uprights which meant the holes were a little too big. That necessitated the use of jig wheels and alignment of the rear axle. It turned out well, so I just polished up the chassis using the usual Fast Orange hand pumice and tooth brush, then oiled it and put it away in a baggy. I won't be able to use it for three weeks anyway, next week being a warm up on Saturday for the NORCAL race which is the following Saturday March 5th.

The Scale Nats is coming up fast, just over a month away. Better go stir the spaghetti sauce now....

George,

A question.

How do you get all those "raw" tyres onto your Hudy for trimming?

Do you glue the donuts onto each "weenie/stubby" and then let them dry and unscrew them from the individual "stubbies" before remounting them on the Hudy abor?

I am confused at your procedure - which I think I am going to like
    Last edited by Zippity; 02-21-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Happy Holiday Slot Car Racer,

I ran across some mounted speedshop tires on .900 hubs I didn't realize I still had. They might be good for practice and such as I am not sure of their age, but I seem to remember you mentioning some time back about cutting yours down to .815 and wondered if you cut off the excess from the inside or out.

Also I wanted to thank you for that Horky pan adjustment tip. I used it this weekend on my Open12 chassis and was able to run the tires down and actually drag the center section. Easily got a couple more heats from a set of tires.

If you have time could you please take a look and give me your thoughts on a post I made in Slot Car Talk regarding my scoring problem at the Masters.

Glad to hear you will be making it to the Scale Nats in April, I hope you will be bringing your side kick with you.

Hi Kevin,

Are those Speedshop .900s with the 2mm or 3/32" hole? If 2mm, my preference is to first make the outside of the hub and the inner hub flush. Then, trim the outside of the hub down to .815 or whatever you'd like. On the other hand, if they are 3/32", then do the hubs have an inset inner hub like the Speedshop 815 wides? I think if they are the older 3/32" axle .900s then just replicate the regular hubs. Going back to the 2mm, my favorite 800 wides were converted from 900 wides, and like I said, I do not like them with an inset inner hub. More consistent on fast tire changes in terms of maintaining the overall car width.

As for your computer issue, I was sort of puzzled by that. Were you robbed of laps by the computer? This is a drag for any slotcar racer. I do not have any experience with that software. When I was a Slotcar Track Owner I just used SRT and it was always perfect. See ya in April. I think Sidekick Tire Maker will be along too.

Zipp:

George,

A question.

How do you get all those "raw" tyres onto your Hudy for trimming?

S.R.: I trim each wheel individually. The raw donuts get rough cut by the Proformance HOGGER....I take them down to within .020" of final desired diameter.

Zipp: Do you glue the donuts onto each "weenie/stubby" and then let them dry and unscrew them from the individual "stubbies" before remounting them on the Hudy abor?

S.R.: That's right, you have the idea. The "weenie/stubbys" are just 1 1/2" long axles....I make them out of piano wire and polish them a bit so the hub fits nicely....this way you can make a box full of those "weenie/stubbys". I let the donuts dry at least a few days, then use a .047" drill to drill a hole through to the set screw, then I can unscrew the hub from the axle.

Zipp: I am confused at your procedure - which I think I am going to like

S.R.: Well, I hope the above explanations helped, if you have any more questions, fire away. And yes, you are going to like making tires. I thought you made tires already....

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    And yes, you are going to like making tires. I thought you made tires already....

I do, but I use lots of old axles and or piano wire, but in 2 1/4" lenghts

Slotcar Racer Today, yesterday and the day before yesterday.....Tuesday went up to SCR and worked on 16D stuff. I don't know why I'm doing this when the USRA Scale Nats is in just over a month....but, the NORCAL race is in Modesto on the 5th, so I'd like to be halfway competitive. A lot of racers seem to like the Brazilian 16D set ups with the D2 angle tip magnets, but I am preferring the Pro Slot set up as it seems to have a better airgap. I prefer slotcars with brakes. Looks like I will run the old RJR .560" arm in the Truck, that arm now in a new PS set up. Lots of brakes for the big brick. The 4" car has a ballistic PS motor that I blueprinted....has a PS arm. For the NASCAR race at SCR on Tuesday night, I pulled that good motor and put in something sort of interesting. It was a Brazilian can/endbell with the Pro Slot FX magnets. Gave me about a .583" hole and I had an old PS 42 degree arm in .518" diameter. The airgap was massive, and it lacked brakes, but sure went nicely down the straightaway, and great torque curve for the turns. SCR's King track is an older Ogilvie which is more of a driver's track. Unfortunately with so much less brakes, my straightaway was 5 feet shorter than everyone else's!! Interesting experiment. I might try it once more but straighten out my Cahoza springs, maybe to as much as 180 degrees and see if that gives enough brakes. Gotta go...

I'm so bummed out about Rob that I couldn't look at any slotcar stuff yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I'm so bummed out about Rob that I couldn't look at any slotcar stuff yesterday.
    Sounds like he was very well liked and respected by everyone who knew him. Tragic loss. I'll keep his wife and family in my prayers.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Thanks Ken. He was a great friend and we will all miss him terribly.

I know exactly what you mean George! I feel the same way.
    Gary Johnson