Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Hi George,
    the 2012 ISRA Rulebook is now online at the ISRA website and also the 2012 Worlds website.

Woody
    Woodyatoaklands

Question Protodog 3

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Just got back home from NORCAL, had to use CPR on the two beagles from lack of food. Wife is working this evening in SF so they didn't get the usual 5pm feeding. Anyway, we eventually ended up winning GT12 by 7 laps over locals Tracy Chin and Frank Gawronski. We all ran 3.679 fast time too! Today I ran an old favorite, the Protodog 3....one of the first Bulldog 3 prototypes Richard sent over to test last May I think it was....ran it at the ISRA Nats in Philadelphia. The usual motor, Pro Slot .540" 42* arm in Cahoza production set up with .560" hole. Doesn't get any simpler. We need to figure out how Chris is running so much faster than anyone else in the LMP program. His car is two tenths faster than really good cars. His motors have some kind of steroid applicator or something.

Tomorrow picking up Ron Southern to dust off the cobwebs and put in some practice. Watch out Jerry123. Also meeting Berteinstein and Don Raeburn up at Frank's. Should be a good practice session, the track has good rubber on it now.
    George,firstly congrats on your GT12 win, with Protodog 3. Looks like you had an exiting race in LMP as well. Secondly,can you tell me the difference between Protodog 3 & a standard Bulldog 3? Also, with your experience, what is a good base setup for Bulldog 3? One thing I noticed is that Bulldog 3
    has a lot more pan side play than Bulldog 2.

Who is Frank Gawronski? OMG, now there is two of them I have to worry about!

Quote Originally Posted by LoudCat View Post
    Who is Frank Gawronski? OMG, now there is two of them I have to worry about!
    Paul's son......and yes, he is fast too !
    Alan Ingram

new 1/32 euro

Ready for final assembly cahozza .610 ID can Valiko radial single .470 tall cut down to .440 tall x .300 long honed to .518 for an atom arm .500 dia its a double wind same as 25 26 Where testing this arm out for Bill B.will give report after testing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.32 euro motor..JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	10553  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Ready for final assembly cahozza .610 ID can Valiko radial single .470 tall cut down to .440 tall x .300 long honed to .518 for an atom arm .500 dia its a double wind same as 25 26 Where testing this arm out for Bill B.will give report after testing
    Mic, that's a wild lookin' set up! With an i.d. of .610, you can easily fit a Gulliver motor inside that can! I'm curious as to the o.d. of the can, how wide is it? I guess I'd be concerned about running 80 pitch gears with that much motor angle. The smaller the motor, the more you can go towards a full sidewinder. It'll be interesting to see how this one tests!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Paul's son......and yes, he is fast too !
    You've hit the nail on the head Alan, PG's kid has a good finger on him like his pappy. Most of all, he's a really nice quiet young man, REALLY tall for 13 years old. He was fast but had never driven the traffic situation in NORCAL...but his result of third behind me and Tracy was impressive considering his first time out. It was pretty funny, he started the first heat on green and literally ran over the poor guy on white in the donut...it was like Frankie was running 3.8 laps and the guys next to him were maybe running 5.0s!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    George,firstly congrats on your GT12 win, with Protodog 3. Looks like you had an exiting race in LMP as well. Secondly,can you tell me the difference between Protodog 3 & a standard Bulldog 3? Also, with your experience, what is a good base setup for Bulldog 3? One thing I noticed is that Bulldog 3
    has a lot more pan side play than Bulldog 2.
    Hey 46, thanks for that, the car was awesome. Protodog 3 is the same as a Bulldog 3 except for some details with the front crosswire. The crosswire goes through a small tube in front instead of the little "D" shaped piece you get with the current kit. And the front wheel uprights do not have the little holes for the crosswire. One of the really big changes from Bulldog 1&2 is the front hinge which allows the pans to move sideways quite a bit. The crosswire is actually optional, I think CRASH CODGER has been running without a crosswire so the pans move a lot independently.

As for a base set up, I'd suggest .047" rails with minimal rear steer....use the .047" i.d. tubes that come in the kit. Speaking of the kit, I just got two in the mail I need to build.

Interesting. Please explain what you mean by double wind same as 25/26. What kinda blank?

Hey 46, thanks for that, the car was awesome. Protodog 3 is the same as a Bulldog 3 except for some details with the front crosswire. The crosswire goes through a small tube in front instead of the little "D" shaped piece you get with the current kit. And the front wheel uprights do not have the little holes for the crosswire. One of the really big changes from Bulldog 1&2 is the front hinge which allows the pans to move sideways quite a bit. The crosswire is actually optional, I think CRASH CODGER has been running without a crosswire so the pans move a lot independently.

As for a base set up, I'd suggest .047" rails with minimal rear steer....use the .047" i.d. tubes that come in the kit. Speaking of the kit, I just got two in the mail I need to build.
    Thanks for that George, but when when you say minimal rear steer, how do you minimise it? Do you solder it solid, like you do with Bulldog 2?

Cheers,Paul

Mic, that's a wild lookin' set up! With an i.d. of .610, you can easily fit a Gulliver motor inside that can! I'm curious as to the o.d. of the can, how wide is it? I guess I'd be concerned about running 80 pitch gears with that much motor angle. The smaller the motor, the more you can go towards a full sidewinder. It'll be interesting to see how this one tests!
    SCR the od of the can is .650 we have been runing this setup in 1/24 for a couple of years now 80 p gears are no problem

Quote Originally Posted by LoudCat View Post
    Interesting. Please explain what you mean by double wind same as 25/26. What kinda blank?
    the double wind is 2 wire of smaller dia wound in parallel
    Its an atom blank this is an experimental arm from bill B.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SCR the od of the can is .650 we have been runing this setup in 1/24 for a couple of years now 80 p gears are no problem

the double wind is 2 wire of smaller dia wound in parallel
    Its an atom blank this is an experimental arm from bill B.
    Don't forget we are dealing with 0.500" diameter arms here. When we use the small block Camen can, the arm is ground to 0.495"

........Thinking back to how those .540 arms changed things. Hershman made the first ones when he was working with RJR. They worked so well that Lou Pirro asked me to make them again when I was with Viper. The big dia euro arms seem to have the same characteristics as the big dia "group" arms.

I am afraid I lost track of what wind that double actually is. It was from before the flood.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson46 View Post
    Thanks for that George, but when when you say minimal rear steer, how do you minimise it? Do you solder it solid, like you do with Bulldog 2?

Cheers,Paul
    Paul, the way I usually minimize rear steer is by maximizing the length of the rail so it fits tightly within the front and rear stops. I think the rails measure around 3.316" or something like that. Alternatively, you can shorten the rails (to say, 3.305") and solder the front of the rail up against the end of the stop, then there is a certain gap left at the rear and the rail can then move inside the tube giving a steer effect. You don't necessarily have to be that precise with the rail length either, if you jam the rear of the rail up against the rear stop (inside the tubing) and solder the front end of the rail while in that position, you will eliminate the steer effect. What you end up with are the unsoldered rear of the rails inside the tubing. I suppose you could say this is the adjustment between a chassis with rear steer and a chassis that is soldered solid.

Thumbs up Bulldog 3 rear steer adjustment.

Paul, the way I usually minimize rear steer is by maximizing the length of the rail so it fits tightly within the front and rear stops. I think the rails measure around 3.316" or something like that. Alternatively, you can shorten the rails (to say, 3.305") and solder the front of the rail up against the end of the stop, then there is a certain gap left at the rear and the rail can then move inside the tube giving a steer effect. You don't necessarily have to be that precise with the rail length either, if you jam the rear of the rail up against the rear stop (inside the tubing) and solder the front end of the rail while in that position, you will eliminate the steer effect. What you end up with are the unsoldered rear of the rails inside the tubing. I suppose you could say this is the adjustment between a chassis with rear steer and a chassis that is soldered solid.
    Thanks for that presise explanation George.

Paul

Hi Scr,

Do you feel that taking the rear steer out of the chassis by moving the rails is as effective as soldering solid?