Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Last night I installed my new BOW 16D arm, just arrived in the mail. Many thanks to Monty for fast forwarding that job, I didn't know if I would have it today for testing in Modesto. I decided to put it in the old faithful Brazilian set up with the D2 angle tip magnets, Frank just zapped em. Gave it a new pair of Bigfoot IIs and Cahoza brushes, broke it in and then installed into the NASCAR. I run a Cheetah 11 thin center section, heavy pans. Decided to try something with gearing, just to start with. The Hillclimb at Modesto is pretty short, so I am going to try an 11T pinion and a 40T spur instead of 12:44. The chassis is jigged for 44T gears because NORCAL still has a minimum tire rule of .750" unlike USRA which eliminated that antique a while ago.

Heading out to Modesto this morning at 11am after an appointment in Oakland. Hermanator is meeting me down there and we're driving out together. From Oakland it's about 80 miles, roughly twice the drive to Frank's. Last night filled up the green Camry hybrid with something like 13.8 gallons of gas and paid $51.80....Yeah, that's $3.74 per gallon, thanks a bunch Colonel Khadafy. Hey, he's only a Colonel too, at least Eisenhower had been a General, like Grant, Washington, did I miss anyone? Anyway, we'll get out to Modesto just after noon and test our stuff for next week.

Got out to Modesto at 12:39 after stopping to pick up a tuna sandwich at Mr. Pickles in Tracy, CA. Walked in and saw Howard working on a controller, then saw a purple box and set up next to it, my friend CRASH CODGER. Bought a three hour track card for $20, a good buy, and proceeded to testing on orange on the Hillclimb. The NASCAR had the new BOW arm in the Kelly set up and was really stout, but I would have liked more brakes. Turned a 4.92 which is probably not spectacular, but serviceable for a race. One thing to keep in mind about racing, it is very possible to have a car that is too fast and the closing rate will get you in trouble during the race. We've seen this happen over and over with fast qualifiers going down in flames with eight cars on the track. Better to have a competitive car that is driveable, then race to the front.

The 4.5" Brick was another matter, I could hit the bank full punch, but needed to brake right before coming out of it or the rear end would just kick out around the black and purple drivers panel on the right side, and it would deslot. Kind of a drag I can't punch it all the way to the deadman in front of the blue panel, but that was how it worked. I tried different tires and some rear weights, it didn't help. I think it might just be the chassis and the massive truck body which doesn't handle worth a damn.

The next 15 minutes was on the Corkscrew on yellow. The track felt a lot more familiar this time. I was happy with my LMP with a Koford Competitor arm in one of the new Cahoza set ups, this one honed to .530", a little tighter than usual, but a .518" arm. This one turned 3.6s on yellow, so I put it away. I seem to remember that was a competitive time, and the car drove really well. Next I put the 2009 Bulldog on with the other new Cahoza set up. It felt a bit soft, but I could do 3.4s easily and consistently. Also tried a USRA legal GT12, the Tazer with Audi R10, Cahoza set up with the PS .540" arm from the Worlds Production car. It turned 3.4s also, but had a ton of motor. Not sure about running a Tazer with an R10.....it runs great with a high downforce body, but not sure the lower downforce is as good....may have to go back to the Bulldog....more on that later for Nats preparation.

Next, back to the pit space and take out all the tools and proceed with game plan. Pulled motor out of NASCAR and replaced with the all Pro Slot motor. Changed tires on the truck and added weight. Pulled motor out of GT12 and replaced with a Kelly three hole with Koford magnets, then ready to test again. The hillclimb was, by now, full of rentals and casual users which was great to see for this new raceway. I went to the Corkscrew, this time on blue. The different motor in the GT12 seemed faster, but it was not as smooth. I came to the conclusion that the Cahoza set ups are best for scale racing. The Kelly is also good, but just not as smooth and driveable. Next I pulled out the Horky eurosport and was pleasantly surprised that the Corkscrew is now familiar enough that this type of car seemed viable to race. Got it down to consistent 3.0s, but there was a lot of traffic and I didn't want to smack some C Can car.

I waited until 3:30 to get back out on the Hillclimb and took my chances on blue with a lot of kids on the track. It actually worked out fine. The Pro Slot motor in the 16D also did a 4.92! But, I liked the brakes. The changes to the Brick did no good, it still launches out of the bank. It's gonna be a weird race next Saturday!!

So, last night I pulled the arm out of the Kelly three hole motor, it's a better arm. I opened up the airgap on the Cahoza set up all the way to .535" for the GT12 and put in the better arm. Pretty much same thing for the NASCAR plan...pulled the BOW arm and swapped it into the Pro Slot set up for more brakes. I just need to bullet proof things for Saturday and I'll be ready.

Waiting for three new PK arms and a couple of new Camen eurosport set ups. After the NORCAL race next Saturday, it's only a month to the Scale Nats.

George,

Just for the record, I won't use taper tip magnets even if you put flame to my feet. Try the arm in an FX setup, it will stop better. It should GO beter too...
    A clean slotcar is a happy slotcar!!

Thanks for the verification on that one Monty! Yeah, this morning I pulled that new arm out of the Kelly set up and put it in the nice FX set up. It sounds very good on the Wright Way, so I have a 12 tooth on it and it's bolted firmly into the Cheetah 11 up against a 44T angle spur. Thanks also for setting the record straight on the angle tips, I have never gotten enough brakes out of that set up....ALMOST enough after zapping it....but I like to have braking reserve. OK, I better glue up some more tires. CRASH CODGER suggested trying some small hubs on The Brick to try to keep the rear end in check.

George,

Hate to make more work for you, but keep that 11 tooth open as an option. 12/44 is usually good for King length tracks. Last time I saw the Chico hillclimb it was a bit rough, 'course, that was IN Chico. I can't remember what gears Radisich ran, but he was dialed in.

Is it the former Chico Hillclimb that's in Modesto? Somehow I had thought I read before that it was the one from Foster's in Santa Maria.

I raced on the Chico Hillclimb at the first 2 Chico 6 hour enduro races... what a blast! Even with though it had the different donut and was mirror image from the Hillclimb at WSSH, Matt, Neal, & really felt like home on that track. It really drove so much like our old home track in West Seattle, it was a lot of fun.

I vaguely remember the Foster's Hillclimb, as I visited there once, but the race that night was on the Paperclip. I think the Foster's Hillclimb was much longer then the Chico one. If so... that would effect gear ratio choice.

Anyway - I am just curious and wanted to verify which Hillclimb it is. I'd love to see some pics of the Modesto tracks and raceway.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    I'd love to see some pics of the Modesto tracks and raceway.
    http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...-in-Modesto-CA
    Mind on a permanent vacation
    The ocean is my only medication
    Wishin' my condition aint ever gonna go away

PK,

At 110' and no donut, sure looks like Chico. The Foster's track (still in place AFAIK) is about 150'.

Slotcar Racer
    Question about tazer.What effect would floating body mounts have versus fixed with regards to bite
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monty@B.O.W. View Post
    George,

Hate to make more work for you, but keep that 11 tooth open as an option. 12/44 is usually good for King length tracks. Last time I saw the Chico hillclimb it was a bit rough, 'course, that was IN Chico. I can't remember what gears Radisich ran, but he was dialed in.
    Allright my friend, I will put the 11 tooth back on the lump....besides it ran well that way on Saturday....not sure what my thinking was with going to 12:44, maybe you could say there wasn't any thinking involved, just doing! Haaa haaaa. You know more about these fishing weights than I do. My main concern for Saturday is The Brick...CRASH CODGER gave me a hint that his guys got the thing to hook up coming out of the bank by using small hub tires...so, I glued up some Pirahnas on a pair of .400" and also a pair of Kelly pencil hub rims....will true down to .795" tomorrow. Better go now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Slotcar Racer
    Question about tazer.What effect would floating body mounts have versus fixed with regards to bite
    Hey Mic, I have found in general that less movement translates into tighter handling. Think of a Womp, no movement. How to get it to handle? Look for the best tires with just the right amount of slippage, but not too much. A very thin line, no adjustment with this example. Now to a chassis like the Stinger, the Tazer, Slick 7 ASP IV and the old Speedshop eurosport (plus others I'm sure) with minimal chassis movement vis a vis hinges, pans, etc...these depend mostly on the flex of the chassis. These chassis all do best with the addition of floating pin tubes, just that little added movement of the body versus the chassis gives you that little bit of "forgiveness" to keep it from being too tight. Symptoms of too tight: chattering, helicoptering off the track on to the floor, hooking up too much then letting go and cartwheeling. Too tight gives you spectacular single car wrecking with fast cars. Of course, the other main variable is the correct motor with the right amount of torque for the chassis, but that is a much more difficult road to follow, much more time consuming and expensive. Chassis adjustments such as floating tubes give you quick results when looking for a handling change.

Slotcar Racer
    Thanks for the fast reply and the insight. The reason I asked is a few of us have the tazers now and I built mine with solid pin tubes and alittle per load in the spine and a buddy had his built by Lou Pirro and his has floating pin tubes with no per load in the spine.His chassis is way tighter then mine so trying to figure out an adjustment for him to loosen it up a bit . raced mine yesterday and a few of the racers said mine was the best car on the track now if only I could drive it better LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, sounds like you have the right setup for your track. The cool thing about the Tazer is you can even put short floating tubes on the rear mounts, he provided two brackets for each rear body mount. Great design by Richard Mack! One experiment I need to try is a eurosport motor in a Tazer. I have tried this already in a Bulldog and it ran 3.3s on our local track. A good eurosport will do 3.0s, so not far off.

Didn't get much done last night except true down some tires too small....good work. Actually, they are supposed to be .790" minimum and they are exactly that, but will probably have to soak in lighter fluid for tech. Better go now...

Quote Originally Posted by Monty@B.O.W. View Post
    PK,

At 110' and no donut, sure looks like Chico. The Foster's track (still in place AFAIK) is about 150'.
    Not to keep dwelling on the the Modesto Hillclimb... since it would now be a bit off-topic here... I posted pics of the Chico Hillclimb on the Modesto thread back here:

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/galler...serialNumber=2

At least I think I cleared up my suspicions that the Modesto Hillclimb is indeed a different track then the former Chico Hillclimb.

I now return you to the Slotcar Racer program... already in progress.

PK
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Slotcar Racer does not know where the Modesto Hillclimb came from. Slotcar Racer only knows that a 4.5" Brick will deslot coming out of the bank of said Hillclimb. So, last night I put on a pair of .400" hub tires Piranha donuts hoping for more grip....in fact, I got this clue from CRASH CODGER who said the Fresnoids were using the small hubs. Unfortunately, I found one of the bad magnesium hubs in the process....got the rear width all spaced with washers and was tightening the opposite to gear wheel and....ugh...it stripped. Upon closer inspection I saw it was one of the hubs where the set screw hole is too close to the edge of the inner boss and therefore weak. We just sent a bunch of these back to the manufacturer as returns, but this one got away from me. So, this morning I had to glue up a few more pairs of this hub/donut combo.

Also changed the gearing on the 4" NASCAR and on the 4.5" Brick following Monty's advice. The NASCAR now has 11:44 in 72 pitch. I couldn't find an 11tooth pinion for the Brick, but I did find a good 64 pitch gear set 10:40 for it. Nice FAAS angled pinion. Now both cars have 4:1 gearing which should be perfect for this Modesto/Chico/Fosters Hillclimb. Better go now..."work"...