.

.

Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

  1. #2386
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by chlpper85 View Post
    How was the consistency of the handout motors throughout the field?
    I can't answer this because I didn't try any handout motors. I only raced on the flat track. I watched the A Main for the 4" NASCAR race and the cars were about as fast as fully blueprinted $100 16D motors!!!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  2. #2387
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    South of the City
    Posts
    1,054
    Burrito here. Yesterday, I let George try something new to clean off that pesty rust on his nice GT-12 chassis & he immediately fell in love with it. In fact, he was being a bit compulsive.



    I get mine from McMaster-Carr & the part number is 4494A19 (same as 4494A52). It's called "Abrasive-Bristle Mandrel-Mount Disc 3/4" Diameter X 1/16" Thick, 80 Grit (Yellow)" & costs only $1.08 each. I use three on a mandrel & it lasts a long time, much longer than anything else I've tried. The best thing is it can clean in-between the teeth on 72P pinions, without rounding out the tips. George loved it so much, I had to let him keep it.
    Last edited by team burrito; 04-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

  3. #2388
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by chlpper85 View Post
    How was the consistency of the handout motors throughout the field?
    Consistency was pretty good. Down the straights they seemed to be pretty close to the same speed. In LMP, 3rd 4th and 5th finished within 15 feet. In 4" NASCAR, 2nd and 3rd finished within 3 feet.
    that's a wrap!

  4. #2389
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Land of Excitement "Bensenville"
    Posts
    1,326
    Motors where really good.

    Some guys had them geared 14/42 and they lived. Amazing. I was hear geared 13/42.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

  5. #2390
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    564
    If Mazur's going to wear tights I sure hope he has a big cape!
    Why do I do this to myself?

  6. #2391
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    If Mazur's going to wear tights I sure hope he has a big cape!
    Generally he uses Swanson's cape, we keep Ken locked up somewhere in the Bat Cave working on motors.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  7. #2392
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Thanks Kevin, it'll be an interesting journey for sure. I think Milton Gamble has finally turned USRA around evidenced by the fact the minimal controversy and a very smooth Nats event. Kevin, maybe you can keep the Batmobile oiled for me and Mazur? Oiler in Chief.....
    Oiler in Chief....... has a nice ring to it. Would I get a badge and can I carry a gun?

  8. #2393
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Slotcar Racer, back at work on Sunday. I used my new best friend, "Little Gus" (see Russ Toy's post a few ago) to clean up the Bulldog 3 I ran at the Nats. Little Gus is for sure the best thing to clean steel chassis. I put in new axle bearings and then rebuilt the Nats motor including new can bearing. Got the car back together for NORCAL this Saturday. This was my primary car I didn't run last month for NORCAL (saving for The Nats) which is why I ran Protodog 3 at the beginning of March.

    Tonight I'll paint drivers for four Audi R10s (LMP) and four Startfighters (GT12) for Modesto. Can't wait to get out there on the Corkscrew, it's a blast.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  9. #2394
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Great Valley,NY
    Posts
    1,227
    Unfortunately, Raceways are few and far between in my neck of the woods.
    The track closest to me ran a Series race this weekend that follows retro flexi car rules.
    Front wheels rolling hard on the track and .015 minimum front chassis clearance.
    I strongly dislike this rule, but the guys are stubborn about it and claim it`s to keep the track from being damaged.
    The track owner uses Wing Cars for rentals with no fronts and never any track damage.
    I keep saying that the JK chassis is designed to run with no fronts, or the wheels off the track anyway.
    If you run the guide spaced properly, no damage will occur to the track surface by the chassis gently rubbing in the turns.
    Having the front wheels pushing up on the pans makes the cars edgy and somewhat unstable in my opinion.
    These guys have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to discuss it, saying "If you don`t like it don`t race".
    I`m talking about Flexi Cars on a King and an Orange.
    What are your thoughts on this after this year`s Scale Nats.
    Thanks.

  10. #2395
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    426
    Mike

    You need to tell the WHOLE story...

    The West Penn Series you referred to was intended to be a 'beginners' class to involve three raceways that did not have a racing program. The original concept was to use JK RTR cars to make it easier for new guys to get involved. The rules have morphed a bit, but it was never intended to be an all out , no holds barred flexi series. It was designed for BEGINNERS.

    You seem to butt heads with peoople constantly regarding rules. Fact is, you have to learn to accept what other people race in their sand box. No one forces you to play... correct?

    Stick with ISRA and the Falcon wing car stuff that is starting to regroup in the area. I think that is more your cup of tea...

    LM

  11. #2396
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    Unfortunately, Raceways are few and far between in my neck of the woods.
    The track closest to me ran a Series race this weekend that follows retro flexi car rules.
    Front wheels rolling hard on the track and .015 minimum front chassis clearance.
    I strongly dislike this rule, but the guys are stubborn about it and claim it`s to keep the track from being damaged.
    The track owner uses Wing Cars for rentals with no fronts and never any track damage.
    I keep saying that the JK chassis is designed to run with no fronts, or the wheels off the track anyway.
    If you run the guide spaced properly, no damage will occur to the track surface by the chassis gently rubbing in the turns.
    Having the front wheels pushing up on the pans makes the cars edgy and somewhat unstable in my opinion.
    These guys have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to discuss it, saying "If you don`t like it don`t race".
    I`m talking about Flexi Cars on a King and an Orange.
    What are your thoughts on this after this year`s Scale Nats.
    Thanks.
    Mike, when you go to a race, set up your cars according to the rules. That's what I did for the Scale Nats last week. Same idea applies anywhere.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  12. #2397
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Great Valley,NY
    Posts
    1,227
    I set my cars up and passed tech.
    I only complain about the rules when I feel they are flawed and the racing would improve with a change.
    There is no real racing near me, I need to move to a different part of the country...
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 04-02-2012 at 03:13 PM.

  13. #2398
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, TN
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    I set my cars up and passed tech.
    I only complain about the rules when I feel they are flawed and the racing would improve with a change.
    There is no real racing near me, I need to move to a different part of the country...
    You would probably like NorCal...lot's of choices to race in a couple of hour radius. Strictly on a slot car basis, somewhere between So Sacramento and Modesto would be perfect. With Fresno, Rocklin, Vallejo, Rohnert Park, and TNT right in Modesto that's 5 tracks. Add in Morgan Hill, Antioch opening new ventures and even Reno, NV only a couple of hrs away you would have lot's of racing choices along with the NorCal series. If I would have found work there last summer, that's where I would be.
    Alan Ingram

  14. #2399
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    155
    So Sacramento and Modesto would be perfect. With Fresno, Rocklin, Vallejo, Rohnert Park, and TNT right in Modesto that's 5 tracks. Add in Morgan Hill, Antioch opening new ventures and even Reno, NV
    The Reno track is actually in Carson City-
    Asking all things relevant-

  15. #2400
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, TN
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    The Reno track is actually in Carson City-
    That's right, even better !

    Thank you for that correction Mr D2 Assistant Tech Director.
    Alan Ingram

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •