Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    George,

Is the flouro pink that you use, rattle paint? If not, what is it?

I have painted my cars floro pink for years - mainly 'cos I can see the flouro colours better

The only difference being that I paint the front part of my bodies white.
    This is Tamiya Flourescent Pink, I really like it....might have to switch to it, I've been stuck on orange for years. I'll see how it shows up on Saturday in Modesto. Theoretically a highly visible color. Hermanator uses a flourescent yellow which is kind of greenish, that is also quite visible.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    You must have got it from me I have been sick since last thursday and I am still waiting for my ears to pop.
    Yeah Mike, maybe I got it from you. I spoke with a Doc at Kaiser a little after 11:00 this morning and he said this thing is really going around like there's no tomorrow. I just got back from the pharmacy at Kaiser Richmond with an inhaler and some codeine cough syrup....problem is, I am starting to feel better so I might not need the meds now!!

Gotta go finish mounting another Audi R10 on a NORCAL LMP.

I wish I had a pair of those hot pink bodies for 1/24 Euro last Saturday. The red/yellow bodies I painted up disappeared on the track. That caused me to switch to the single body I had used last year in Chicago. Then in the third heat of my semi, I sucked the body through the gears and had to quit due to not having a second body.

Neadless to say, I won't be painting up that color combinination again! At home, I usually run Florescent Yellow and Florescent Pink in some combination. But I thought I would try something new... Bad choice!
    Gary Johnson

Painting bodies with laquer based products will surely clear up an upper respertory issue very quickly.

The Tamya for polycarbonate bodies "hot pink" is what I painted Jim Radfords car with, and a few others. Not easy to find but SCR track had a whole line of them on the shelf. I just transfer the rattle can product into a small airbrush friendly jar and dilute a bit more with acitone. Would be nice if it came in jars instead of rattle cans.

I am like Mike Mazer I like the hidden colors (that I can only see) so I can slide up on thier butt when their not expecting me. Nats colors candy purple/gold. Trouble is Mike an I were using it to advantage in our euro race (butt) to our own disadvatage we were on each others butts.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 04-06-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Friday and still home from "work" getting better. Of course the goal is to be well enough to go racing tomorrow, WORK. Looking pretty good at the moment too. Just finished up tearing down and straightening out the 1/24 Horky chassis from the Nats. That was a pretty rough A Semi, and one of the pans needed flattening

DSCN4603 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Then, on to the center section. Gotta make sure the rails are centering OK where they meet the rear of the chassis. One rail was bent up a bit but cooperated and is now lying down flat like it should

DSCN4605 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

OK, the Horky is all back together, oiled and getting a heat lamp treatment so the oil creeps into all nooks and crannies, then into the zip loc bag for the next race.

Quote Originally Posted by team burrito View Post
    Burrito here. Yesterday, I let George try something new to clean off that pesty rust on his nice GT-12 chassis & he immediately fell in love with it. In fact, he was being a bit compulsive.

I get mine from McMaster-Carr & the part number is 4494A19 (same as 4494A52). It's called "Abrasive-Bristle Mandrel-Mount Disc 3/4" Diameter X 1/16" Thick, 80 Grit (Yellow)" & costs only $1.08 each. I use three on a mandrel & it lasts a long time, much longer than anything else I've tried. The best thing is it can clean in-between the teeth on 72P pinions, without rounding out the tips. George loved it so much, I had to let him keep it.
    got some of the bristle mandrel dics WOW the best way to clean a steel chassis . Thanks russ toy
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

You're not kidding Mic, they are great. I ordered mine yesterday from Amazon for $0.93 each, picked up 24 for six sets. I'm still using the one Russ gave me at the Nats, finished cleaning up all my eurosport chassis this morning. It was also time to order some new Hakko tips and tip enclosures for my Hakko 888. Seems like the tips get fused to the enclosure so you pretty much have to replace both. Just one of those pesky expenses that's necessary. By the way, I don't know if I mentioned it but the abrasive bristols are great for cleaning pinion gears...you gotta try it!

The power of the internet. I read about abrasive bristles on here then search amazon in the us. They don't dispatch to the UK so search amazon in the uk to no avail. Post on the BSCRA facebook page. Woody answers from a bus ride in Sweden heading to the Swedish Masters giving me a source in the UK. I order that afternoon and they arrived the next morning. How would slot car racing survive without the internet??? But I have to ask. What are bristols?

And pat, what's the source in the UK?!

That's very true about the Internet. And when we have such a good forum going with lots of sharing of info, all the better. I have to say that Russ Toy has shown me some of the best tools I have in my box. I remember Russ once said something that sounds really simple, "you have to have the right tool to do any job right" (or something to that effect). And certainly with cleaning steel chassis I have been struggling finding the right tool. Sand paper, fast orange, silicone discs...tried it all!!

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    ..........?? But I have to ask. What are bristols?
    Large knockers

Go on BSCRA facebook page. Full link on there

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Large knockers
    I had Benny Hill in mind, but maybe Zip is right. Either way I don't see how they are going to clean rust off spring steel chassis... I think I'll just order the little whizz wheels!

The Church's 2 Big Knockers by D.G.Flickr, on Flickr
    Phil Matthews

Phil I did a pinion of john madest's that was real dirty and it looks brand new. I also cleaned a chassis I had rebuilt for rob geibel and it just didn't look finishedeven after a hour or so of cleaning until I used these bristle brushes on it looks great for a 3 year old chassis. took about 10 minutes.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Looks like Russ Toy has produced a real winner with the bristle (not bristol) cleaner. I better pick up some 3M stock this week.

Another nice day of slotcar racing at the beautiful TNT Raceway in Modesto, California. Wonderful as always to see Roy and Anne, the track owners. Their programs are doing really well and their drag strip is set up and drawing a lot of interest. They have a huge customer base and are fortunate in many ways not to have to do birthday parties. Anne told me that neither of them like the idea of doing parties, it doesn't interest them. I think that's pretty cool! They are taking really good care of the racers and providing good race programs.

Let me tell you, the local racers have developed into a mighty force at TNT! Many of them came out for the USRA Scale Nats the previous week and had a good showing. All of them have made tremendous technical and driving improvements. I now know that when I go to TNT, it is always going to be tough local crowd. Reminded me quite a bit of the local gang up in Seattle on The Twister. Corkscrew.....Twister......lots of similarities here! Actually I heard that in Modesto the racers are really favoring the Corkscrew, they find it more fun and more challenging. I have heard similar remarks regarding the Seattle raceway, the flat track is getting much more support.

Anyway, that said, it was another tough war on the Corkscrew yesterday. After the qualifying format at the Nats, we went back to a 28 car mixed round robin in LMP and a 25 car mix for GT12. I think the GT12 race had an incredible number of track calls. When I had finished on purple and was turn marshaling the lead on, there was a string of track calls with only perhaps a lap of running in between. By contrast, other heats were very clean with almost no stops. That, of course, makes the playing field quite uneven.

The LMP race was pretty smooth. I ran an X25 center with C11 .025" pans, Audi R10, Cahoza UL set up, T5s and a Pro Slot Super Wasp arm, gearing 7:42. Pretty standard stuff. The car was the best of four I brought to the race. Jason Hooper and Don Raeburn applied constant pressure with really good runs. It's great to have such good clean competition from racers who keep their lips zipped during the race and have big smiles on their faces afterwards.

photo-31 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

As mentioned before, GT12 was kind of a crash fest, but I gotta give the winner Doug Lemmons a big attaboy for his win. He came to the race very confident, he was obviously well prepared and knew he had the car to beat. It was quite fast, and he was one of the fortunate few to run in some clean heats. AND, his car is green! By the way, many thanks to Rocky Rommel for loaning me a 42T spur gear. Mine blew out in my 7th heat with more than a minute to go, I had to screech around the track like a wounded animal until the lane change. Thanks Rocky!

photo-32 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

We missed Chris Chakires who is recovering from a work injury. He said it isn't too bad, but he was laid up this weekend unable to race. Hope he gets better soon.

Next month we return to the not-so-new road course in Fresno. That will be a two night trip at the extended stay motel.

OK, time to take the beagles out for an Easter Egg hunt....
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 04-08-2012 at 09:30 AM.