Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Hey George,hopefully who ever took my Gt12 from in front of your box would hopefully give it back and for who ever took just please bring it to tnt and drop it off or to Fresno next month ,no questions asked thanks Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Wow,

What a couple of incredible races. Very close lap times and total laps in both LMP and GT12.

I had thought about coming out to join you but after a 16 hour drive Thursday just couldn't get myself to drive another 4 plus and then another 12 hrs at the track on Sat. Looks like I missed another good turnout though.

Nice wins George and Greg. Hope that misplaced GT12 shows up soon.
    Alan Ingram

I had a great time I looked like the amature that I am. The track is real quick next time I hope to at least not be in the way. Greg I hope you get your car back and I will see you guys in fresno
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I had a great time I looked like the amateur that I am. The track is real quick next time I hope to at least not be in the way. Greg I hope you get your car back and I will see you guys in fresno
    Brian it was great seeing you in Modesto even though I was concentrating so hard on my cars I had no idea of what was going on around me! Like you said in another forum, that Corkscrew is a postage stamp! Every time I go there, when I first hook up my controller I look at the track in amazement....it really is tiny. But, once you start racing on it, you really can't tell the size. Those local boys out there really did their homework for this race, they were ready.

Over the past few days I've just been pulling motors out of chassis and cleaning stuff. Threw used tires into the lacquer thinner bottle for a few hours to remove the rubber.

Something I need to work on, maybe this evening, is to try making a new axle for my magnetic balancer. Berteinstein said he ground his own using his Mr. Dremel and I think a tire truer, lathe or something....maybe comm lathe??? I will use the Unimat, I can hold Mr. Dremel securely on the tool holder. The axles I have now do not spin freely. They are nice and concentric, but I believe the angle of the tip is too steep. Gotta do some experimentation.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Wow,

What a couple of incredible races. Very close lap times and total laps in both LMP and GT12.

I had thought about coming out to join you but after a 16 hour drive Thursday just couldn't get myself to drive another 4 plus and then another 12 hrs at the track on Sat. Looks like I missed another good turnout though.

Nice wins George and Greg. Hope that misplaced GT12 shows up soon.
    Sorry we missed you Alan! Were you up in Seattle or Sacramento?

Alan, LMP was a great race. I looked at the numbers last time we were there.... my totals would have got me 11th overall and second in the advanced/amateur division.... this time it got me a 17th overall. I'd say everyone is improving by leaps and bounds. You missed some great racing! will you be in for Fresno? As far as Greg's missing GT goes, that is not what any of us want to hear. Someone else decided they wanted my 1/32" tech tool more than me as well....bummer
    Jay Herrod

Berteinstein said he ground his own using his Mr. Dremel and I think a tire truer, lathe or something....maybe comm lathe??? I will use the Unimat
    I used my "mini" lathe to spin the axle and used my diamond cutoff wheel (not the edge, but the top) to grind a point on the axle- it "turned" out centered enough that I marked the axle with (oddly enough) a marker and spun it without a tire or gear and it did not stop in the same place twice.

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    I used my "mini" lathe to spin the axle and used my diamond cutoff wheel (not the edge, but the top) to grind a point on the axle- it "turned" out centered enough that I marked the axle with (oddly enough) a marker and spun it without a tire or gear and it did not stop in the same place twice.

Bert
    Einstein, here is how I did it last night

DSCN4607 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

I should get a diamond cut off wheel like yours, it probably did a little nicer finish than my Dremel cut off wheel. Do you use the Dremel diamond cut offs, or some other brand?

Just like we talked about on Saturday, sure enough if the tip is cut at the wrong angle, say 45 degrees, somehow it has more friction and won't spin. On my 3/32" axle I cut it at a very flat angle. Now a tire on the axle spins for about a minute before stopping! Change of angle really cut down on friction.

Next question: what to use as ballast for balancing. Right now I am using 1/8" strips of blue masking tape. Sticky enough to hold to the inside of the rim, but comes off easily when removing the used rubber from the rim. I wonder what others use....

Do you use the Dremel diamond cut offs, or some other brand?
    I use the Dremel Brand cut off wheels- seem to work well-

I really am digging the way you use the com lathe as a well... a lathe!

On my 3/32" axle I cut it at a very flat angle. Now a tire on the axle spins for about a minute before stopping!
    Nice! are you using a piece of glass or some fancy crystal between the magnet and axle? the point of my axle is more like the point of a pencil. I am not sure what degree that is but it is pretty sharp!

Right now I am using 1/8" strips of blue masking tape.
    I use that blue tape, but I custom cut the width of the tape.

I think the next thing that the slot world needs to come out with is a "dynamic" wheel balancer! TYRES... Balanced by Beuf!?

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

I'm not following what you are trying to accomplish. Is it balancing the axel or? I'm lost. I missed out on the front of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Finger View Post
    I'm not following what you are trying to accomplish. Is it balancing the axel or? I'm lost. I missed out on the front of the conversation.
    I think they skipped the front end and jumped right to making the pointy axle for a "magnetic balancer"... so I'm sure you are not alone, Chuck.

A magnetic balancer is basically a pointed axle suspended between two magnets. The two magnets are mounted on opposing sides of a "U" shaped bracket. The "fancy" ones might have an adjustment on one end to accommodate different length axles or shafts (kinda like a "C" Clamp).

You put a gear or wheel on the axle, then give it a spin and mark the spot that stops at the bottom with a Sharpee pen. You can spin it a few times to be sure you've found the heavy spot. Then drill a small hole in the gear or wheel hub where you marked it, and spin it again. Repeat until it no longer appears to have a heavy spot always finding bottom.

The magnetic balancer is a sort of an updated version of the old "2 razor blades in a block" version of balancing armatures used "back in the day" (and still used by many HO racers). I'd call it a "poor man's Hoffman".

The pointed ends of the axle suspended between magnets results in an extremely low spinning resistance - MUCH lower then ball bearings - so that you can visually detect even the slightest variation of an imbalanced object at a fraction of the cost of a commercial dynamic balancing machine.

While this method would also work for armatures... at the speeds turned by modern day armatures, it is worth the cost of a few bucks and shipping for the accuracy and quality available from the slot car motor balancing services with the high-tech Hoffman balancing machines. For wheels & gears, however... the magnet method works good enough.

A pic of the magnetic balancer would be very helpful to show what is being discussed here... and would help explain the need for the pointy axle.

We slot car racers LOVE gadgets!

P.S. - Kinda makes me wonder how they balance the "Wheel of Fortune"... I'm picturing a REALLY BIG version of the pointy axle and two REALLY BIG magnets... "Oh Vanna..." "I'd like to buy a vowel please..."
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 04-11-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    I think they skipped the front end and jumped right to making the pointy axle for a "magnetic balancer"... so I'm sure you are not alone, Chuck.

A magnetic balancer is basically a pointed axle suspended between two magnets. You put a gear or wheel on the axle, then give it a spin and mark the spot that stops at the bottom with a Sharpee pen. You can spin it a few times to be sure you've found the heavy spot. Then drill a small hole in the gear or wheel hub where you marked it, and spin it again. Repeat until it no longer appears to have a heavy spot always finding bottom.

The magnetic balancer is a sort of an updated version of the old "2 razor blades in a block" version of balancing armatures used "back in the day".

A pic of the magnetic balancer would be very helpful to show what is being discussed here... and would help explain the need for the pointy axle.

We slot car racers LOVE gadgets!
    I think SR mentioned this whole process a while back.
    Alan Ingram

Then drill a small hole in the gear or wheel hub where you marked it, and spin it again. Repeat until it no longer appears to have a heavy spot always finding bottom.
    Paul I think blue painter tape as George is using is the standard for balancing, vinyl tape if you got it instead of drilling which is perminate. You want something like tape on recycle items as rims. Kind of like the lead they stick on your rims to balance big cars tires and rims and removable when you fix the flat or replace the tire (but in 1/24th or 1/132 scale).

Courticy of our friend Andy at ABslotsport http://www.abslotsport.biz/page100.html
    Also the all important The instructions in PDF: http://www.abslotsport.biz/darkside%...20balancer.pdf

courticy of Gofast thier version:

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 04-12-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    I think SR mentioned this whole process a while back.
    Alan - You are correct! Fortunately, the new and improved handy dandy Slotcar Racer Today Index made it easy to find the post about static balancing!

Here 'tis: Static Wheel Balancing

Raymond - thanks for posting the pics! (I knew I had seen pics somewhere). A picture is worth a thousand words - much easier to understand with the pics... (but hopefully SR's & my explainations helped as well).
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Alan - You are correct! Fortunately, the new and improved handy dandy Slotcar Racer Today Index made it easy to find the post about static balancing!

Here 'tis: Static Wheel Balancing

Raymond - thanks for posting the pics! (I knew I had seen pics somewhere). A picture is worth a thousand words - much easier to understand with the pics... (but hopefully SR's & my explainations helped as well).
    Nice reminder to get back to work on the INDEX Mom! After that I'll mow the lawn and clean up my room.....