Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Alan - You are correct! Fortunately, the new and improved handy dandy Slotcar Racer Today Index made it easy to find the post about static balancing!

Here 'tis: Static Wheel Balancing

Raymond - thanks for posting the pics! (I knew I had seen pics somewhere). A picture is worth a thousand words - much easier to understand with the pics... (but hopefully SR's & my explainations helped as well).
    Yup, there is it way back in the old days. Just to repeat why you may want to do this. I've calculated a eurosport rear axle as averaging about 15,000rpm. The better the balance, the smooth the rear axle and rear tires. Smoother = better contact with the road. Better contact with the road = better lap times, consistency, ease of driving. IT'S JUST BETTER!!!!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Ahh static wheel balancing. Thanks

I remove material from the gear to balance that.

Some people saw me doing it at the NJ race and was asking me what I was doing.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Glue the gear on with Loctite #638, then turn down the hub to almost nothing on the Unimat. Ernie M puts a 4-40 aluminum screw in to fill in the set screw hole. Said he uses Associated screws....it's true, that was about the only place I could find them.

You can also turn it down on a old Com lathe that you can pick on ebay cheap from some RC guys.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

And I just did my aluminum screw research. I would probably use Associated #6935, these are blue anodized 1" aluminum 4-40 screws. I'm thinking put a very small flat spot on the axle, apply a bunch of #638, then finger tighten the screw on to the flat spot....kind of a safety screw. Then cut it off. Use the remainder of the screw for more axle/gear assemblies. Gotta call Hutchinson for more 2mm drill blank stock.

The static axle balancers are real nice. I use a German one that Thomas Trantura (from Austria) got for me at the Worlds. It's like the ones above, but more aerodynamic. :-)

BTW, there is a second use for them: You can balance entire rear axle assembies in them (both wheels and the spur or crown gear). This is less precise than balancing every component, but in terms of quieting down the car, it is just or almost as good.

Related to this: I check my rims on a run-out guage prior to remounting them with rubber, and also toss rims that have any play at all on the axle. It is amazing how out of round rims can get.

Greg

SR,

Have you experimented with gluing turned down spurs instead of setscrews? Seems like that's the next frontier on this front. I asked Gugu about this at the Nats. He doesn't do it, tho he does have a static balancer.

Greg

All the top europeans use glued on gears. I haven't had the courage yet but then I'm not a top european!

I ran glued down gears in my 1/32 ES at the Nats. The lack of set screw really helps with balancing the rear axle...that along with balancing the tires. I did not use the glued gear for 1/24 ES, but then again it didn't matter cuz the axle bearing blew up instead.

Richard Mack told me to use Loctite #638 which is thick green goo. Lately I have been roughing up the axle where the gear goes, then putting a good glob of 638 on the axle so when I slide the gear on, hopefully the gear picks up enough goo. Then I put some down the set screw hole. I have had some slipping with 1/24 ES in practice, that's why I didn't race with it.

At the 2010 Worlds I spoke with Ernie Mossetti about all this and he was the one who told me about the Associated 4-40 aluminum screws he uses for the set screw hole in the gear.

I'm going to order those aluminum screws and incorporate them into the glued gears. Axles are available in bulk by purchasing drill blanks in 3 foot long sticks. As I mentioned before, I will put a small flat spot on the axle and tighten the aluminum screw down to the flat spot, only finger tight needed. This along with the Loctite should make it good and safe. After this dries, it goes on the Unimat and the entire hub gets turned down to maybe about .125" diameter. Once I am convinced this works without letting go I'll start racing with them regularly. Again, it worked great at the Nats in 1/32 ES.

I would think knurling the axle & pressing on the gear would hold better with a drop of super glue through the set screw hole. BTW: those 3 foot long drill blanks are not harden, so I would not get those (I already tried). Get the shorter, but oil hardened drill blanks from McMaster. Trust me on this. Burrito out.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

Good luck Knurling something that is hardend and only 2mm and not bending it.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

I enjoy reading this thread so much.
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Good luck Knurling something that is hardend and only 2mm and not bending it.
    Yeah, never mind that idea, but trust me about the 3' unhardened drill blanks.
    Russ Toy
    I am team burrito and I approve this message.

I think that the Czechs use a high quality epoxy made by Uhu, a German glue manufacturer. This would suggest the use of jb weld here in the US. Epoxy has the huge advantage of plasticity/flexibility over the much more brittle super glue. The Czechs also have gears without a set screw, I think. I like the idea of one time aluminum setscrews while gluing, but you'd want to measure the axle run-out before and after setting the set screw.

Looks like I'll be in the market for a small lathe. Are there good choices other than the Unimat? Wallbasher, you know a lot about this stuff, what do you think? (Wallbasher is a machinist when he's not racing toy cars.) Can you use these small lathes to more exactly machine 2 mm arms down to 1.5 mm?

Greg