Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

yes robin this is about euros and getting the best balance for gears and tire assembly
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks for clarifying that for Robin. It would be nice to glue on spur gears for all classes, but it is really only feasible for 1/32 and 1/24 eurosport where the motor angle is flat enough you can pull the tire/gear/axle out as Mom explained....of course without gluing the axle to the bearings as Mom also explained....dooohhhhh!

OK, I have all that glue, axles and gears ordered for further research, but the next eurosport race isn't until mid July in Seattle at the famous Pacific Slot Car Raceways, Site of the 2012 Flat Track Worlds.

Right now, I need to get my mind wrapped around my last NORCAL race in Fresno on the CRASH CODGER designed yellow road course....what a fun track! I'm taking the whole day off on Friday May 4th and driving down to Fresno early. Brian, I hope you'll be around, we can hang out and work on our cars together. Should be a productive day. Last night I built up another 38* Contender motor to continue the testing of 8 tooth pinion cars. I'm still not convinced about this mode, but I am still playing with it.

On Sunday I did an interesting experiment that was pretty successful. I took the set up I used in GTP at the Nats and put a 42* Super Wasp arm in it. This is a Cahoza UL set up with Koford .500"L magnets! Airgap very narrow, only .550". The motor was actually pretty soft as I had it geared with the 8T pinion. Very driveable and ran 4.0s on the Testarossa. The car I won in Modesto with could only do 4.1s on Sunday, so maybe there is something to this weird motor I put together!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

If you're wondering what I am using for a controller, I'm using the FET.2 the new Parma handled controller. Used it at the Nats and used it at Modesto. Howard did a wonderful job integrating the toroid choke into the controller box and he made it much more user friendly.

photo (17) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Note the ease of use for the choke wire with a single clip. The original set up was a bit confusing. He turned the toroids upside down and they fit into a plastic box that normally houses the FET meter. Also, a twin fan is installed along with the track bracket so it can be hung on the side of the track. I'm really happy with it.

The new "Parma Board" is a huge improvement over the FET.1. The graphics are excellent with each knob now with numbered dials. I've always been into taking notes on my controller settings for different cars and with the new graphics it makes it very easy. I've really gotten used to this controller and I think it has improved my driving technique by helping me stay more in the upper range of the trigger throw. Keeps me off the brakes and more into the gas. It's really changed my driving style. Howard gets a big attaboy for redesigning his FET.

SCR - Looking to hold a GT12 / Euro24 race at BPR on Friday June 1 the weekend of the wing nats warm up race. SAVE THE DATE! 2011 USRA rules at this point.

You guys really love your aligator clips nice piece of work! And thanks for the explination.
    Mini Racing Team Uden
    http://www.mrtu.nl/

SCR
    Question when gluing and balancing do you do the gear and tires as a whole assembly and mark tire position with marker and do you point all your axles.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    Question when gluing and balancing do you do the gear and tires as a whole assembly and mark tire position with marker and do you point all your axles.
    Mic, it works differently. Gluing the gear to the axle has two purposes: 1) no set screw means no steel lump on one side of the gear making it out of balance, and 2) no set screw crunching down on the axle bending it. So think of the gear/axle as a prefabricated unit.

With the tires, you have a static balancer like the magnetic ones in previous photos. The static balancer relies heavily on an axle with perfectly concentric points. You then balance each tire one at a time using the pointed axle and magnetic static balancer. When you mount those balanced tires to a glued gear/axle unit, you are much more in balance. Makes the most difference with the really fast stuff like eurosport.

Pointed axel is for balance only. You're not doing the James Bond setup.

SCR
    Thanks thought maybe the next step would be the hole assembly
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Back at the workbench last night getting ready for the Fresno race on May 5th. Fresno is really a three day event. I'll be taking all of Friday the 4th off and driving down to Hobbytown where I will buy an all day pass and get to work learning that track. Kind of got my feet wet last time I was down there. Wait a minute, I think I won the GT12 race. Anyway, need to get my feet even more wet and hope I don't catch a cold.

So last night I finally pulled the race motors out of the Modesto cars. I'm just going to give them a quick freshening up. The thing I am thinking a lot about is this issue of pinion gears and gear ratios. I've always used 7 tooth pinions on my C Can cars at all tracks. Could be the late Super 8, The Twister, The Corkscrew, Testarossa, Midwest Monster, Speedshop MTT....doesn't seem to matter, I have always used a 7T. I am now curious to play around with 8T on some of my high timed motors to see if it just kills them (not enough torque) or simply makes them unwieldy. If the lap times are the same but an 8T makes it harder to drive, then it makes no sense. Anyway, that will be much of the experimentation down in Fresno on the 4th.

That will be my last NORCAL race of the season as I am unable to make the final race. After that is the Flat Track Worlds in Seattle in mid July. Mike K's invite to Buena Park is a possibility but they keep scheduling eurosport for Fridays meaning taking another vacation day. I'll have to check on that one, not sure if they will let me off on the first week of School of Optometry....bad timing. Our school year starts right after Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mike K's invite to Buena Park is a possibility but they keep scheduling eurosport for Fridays meaning taking another vacation day. I'll have to check on that one, .
    This race is in addition to the wing races on that weekend. The thought was to schedule with more racers in town we could have a viable E24 race. Hopefully Crash Codger will see this. We talked about the possibility of a regional race(s) when I spoke to him at the nats. This might be a "jumping off point" to start something. We would love to have the experience and numbers for E24 that NorCal has!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    This race is in addition to the wing races on that weekend. The thought was to schedule with more racers in town we could have a viable E24 race. Hopefully Crash Codger will see this. We talked about the possibility of a regional race(s) when I spoke to him at the nats. This might be a "jumping off point" to start something. We would love to have the experience and numbers for E24 that NorCal has!
    ***Sounds like it would be fun to take a day off on a friday to play with eurosports!! Cant promise anything but I might be down for a June 1st race since mike is trying to get some euro raceing going in socal again and since there are "2 flat tracks" now in so cal it would be nice to get some regional racing going again!! What time of day were you planning the gt-12 and euro24 at buena park on june 1st at buena park???
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

SCR, About the 7 tooth pinion vs. the 8 tooth.... I always thought 7's were the x-12 thing and 8's were the contender/wasp thing to do, until the other day when I put the NORCAL LMP (that was set up for Modesto) on Rocklin's MTT and I noticed it to be quite a bit sportier with the 7 than with the 8 and the motor was very happy at the end of the straight... but what the hell do I know....lol
    Jay Herrod

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    SCR, About the 7 tooth pinion vs. the 8 tooth.... I always thought 7's were the x-12 thing and 8's were the contender/wasp thing to do, until the other day when I put the NORCAL LMP (that was set up for Modesto) on Rocklin's MTT and I noticed it to be quite a bit sportier with the 7 than with the 8 and the motor was very happy at the end of the straight... but what the hell do I know....lol
    Hi Jay, I always thought that both classes were the 7 tooth thing until I tried an 8T with a low timed Contender on Frank's track. Somehow turning a 3.89 told me there was something to it. I'm going to be down in Fresno all day Friday and look forward to trying both pinions on both classes. Much of the Fresno track is high speed momentum once you get past Banana #1 and into that section leading to the donut. I agree with you that a 7T feels more "sporty" because the car pulls better out of corners. The 8T gives you more top end speed....however, you need to really push the car and keep up the momentum to take advantage of the top end. Seems to me if you are in a race with 20 track calls per heat this might be a problem....

Last night I concentrated on the GT12 program doing some prep work on set ups. Managed to get two motors put together one of which sounds very smooth and even. The other one turned out to be a problem child and I finally narrowed down the issue to bad brushes. They were kind of an older pair, a bit long in tooth, so I retired those brushes and brought out a new pair.

Over the past year I sure haven't used new brushes very often, I have found that used brushes seem to work fine....until they don't work fine!

I'm also looking again at the issue of why some motors become push starters. I'm pretty much convinced that when motor brushes get really broken in, they spread out on the contact patch so much that both brushes will just barely touch one segment of the comm. For those of you who have experienced this same thing, you'll notice that it shorts out on the same spot each time. How come? Take a timing tool and you'll notice that comm segments are usually pretty assymetrical. I believe the short occurs with spread out brushes on the shortest comm segment. I believe the solution is to knock off the spread edges on the brushes, actually bevel them back a bit so they can continue to wear for another race. I tried this minor bevelling and it works great.

Some have said it happens when the comm gets small.....this could be true, but doesn't explain why it also happens on newer comms.