Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

While looking at photos, I was wanting to take a look at Paolo's F1 motor from the Worlds last October to see how short it was. Sure enough, the can is ultra short. I need to email Piero to see if he can get the can dimensions for me...

DSCF0347 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

That is short. I think I have a can like that in my old stuff from when I raced at SHS. That arm looks like it is a 250 long stack with really small wire. I wonder what wind he used?
    Gary Johnson

It also looks like it got a healthy air gap
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

DSCN4639 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

This is the car I won the Nats with last month. The motor looks massive compared to Paolo's.....but it fits into a motorbox only .570" long! Comparing to the photo of Paolo's car, it looks to me like the gear end of the Camen can could be made more like a 90* angle eliminating the extra length. Gotta contact Joel to see if he can do this. The idea is, it looks like it would move the whole thing back about .030". That's one of the Slick 7 .030" brass motor spacers in my arm....that's too much spacing for these cars. Every little bit we can move the motor rearward the better. I better look into new cans...

Mic, you're right, Paolo runs probably .505" or maybe .510"....I know that is what Piero said they were playing with huge gaps. I believe he ran a 41t29. Mine is 45t29 and I ran about 33' choke.

George,

Koford probably has what you are looking for. I know my old cans are Koford.

That is one of the reasons I sold my car. The need to have all special stuff that is totally different than anything else in my box was just too expensive for something I'll only race once a year if I'm lucky.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,
    I'll only race once a year if I'm lucky.
    But they are a ball to race.
    Why do I do this to myself?

George
    It looks to me that the arm spacer (gear end) is ground down alot compared to yours. Your motor looks longer because the Camen can is longer compared to Paolo's. Looks to me that all the length is in the front of the can.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    George
    It looks to me that the arm spacer (gear end) is ground down alot compared to yours. Your motor looks longer because the Camen can is longer compared to Paolo's. Looks to me that all the length is in the front of the can.
    James, it may have helped if I had read my November BSCRA magazine. Paolo wrote about what he ran. Vlado made a custom set up to Paolo's spec. So, this is a Voki ten mag and he said the arm is only .472" diameter...the Gulliver theory of low c.g.? It makes sense it's a Voki with that endbell and torx screws.

SCR
    on another note the motor I built for the Monty raffle car won its first race today Casey didn't run the open 12 chassis but ran the 12 motor I built for it.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Wow if I won that car it would of went in a glass case and never came out.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Wow if I won that car it would of went in a glass case and never came out.
    Mike he didn't rae the chassis or body just the motor and it was built to race . I think Monty would have liked it that way.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Mike he didn't rae the chassis or body just the motor and it was built to race . I think Monty would have liked it that way.
    Mic, you're absolutely right. Casey did the best thing by using the motor, but saving the roller....Hermanator and I discussed the future of the car and we were both hoping it would remain a collector car. That was a nice comment Ruzam, a glass case would be very cool! For sure the raffle car was a race motor meant for racing, and a collector roller meant as a tribute to the great Monty Ohren.

Well, in a little while I'm gonna load up the car with some stuff and head up to Frank's to try a few LMPs. Testing the new Proformance 300 donuts and some donuts from Jim in Seattle. The rubber looks pretty much the same, a nice tight pore fish rubbah.

Hey SCR, was that November issue of BSCRA the last issue you received? I've not gotten one since that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Hey SCR, was that November issue of BSCRA the last issue you received? I've not gotten one since that issue.
    KVAN, there's been a February 2012 issue with Part 2 of the electric motor article.

Kevin
    I'm concerned you didn't get the Feb issue. I have e mailed you direct regarding this and will make sure you get any missing copies.

George
    if you look on page 18 of the Feb 2012 issue you will see the new Voki F1 motor which is a replica of Paolo's winning motor. Voki uses a Koford can and then works his majic. They look and go fantastic.

Picture is attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0686..JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	10931