Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Looks like a pretty easy day at "work" today....only two days to the next NORCAL race, then it's time to store those lumps and get ready for The Nats in Chicago. So last night I pretty much finished preparing the four cars for Saturday, new braid, new tires, checked tech, made sure all motors securely soldered in with adequate bracing. Full safety checks. Everything looks good. Show up, hook up, GO.

Slotcar Racer
    Tested the tazer last night on The red lighting Jerry Herbert's track at the Race Place. Showed a lot of promise need ALU hub tires and a little ride height adjustment and it should be pure .One question do you trim the body's for the front wing ?Again thanks for your Help.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Slotcar Racer
    Tested the tazer last night on The red lighting Jerry Herbert's track at the Race Place. Showed a lot of promise need ALU hub tires and a little ride height adjustment and it should be pure .One question do you trim the body's for the front wing ?Again thanks for your Help.
    Hello Mic Byrd, sounds like a promising chassis. Front clearance should be pretty much nil. Body should be trimmed for side to side movement, trim it for the front winglets and I also trim the area under the front body mount so it does not hang up there either. Keep us posted on the Tazer progress Mic.

Pretty much ready for NORCAL tomorrow. I got the final two pairs of Brick (truck) tires finished off and balanced. Before going to The Worlds I would have thought balancing tires for a 16D race would be over the top, but you know, it really does make a difference in how smooth the car runs. Got a shipment of body shells, mostly Audi R10s, both long and short version, and now starting to do the interiors on them. This is probably one of the more tedious exercises in slotcar racing. After the interiors comes the masking. On LMP slotcar bodies, I've been masking the rear winglets so that they end up being clear plastic. I've been with the Speedshop School of Aerodynamics by leaving the rear of the body in full, not cutting it off somehow. I've tried cutting it off and the car really loosens up a lot. That may have been a smart idea for the Worlds in October when the track was too tight....wish I had thought of it then....gotta get going here....

Just had to say this is a great thread. Read it every day.
    Is it difficult to balance wheels?
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

I think this thread needs it own forum.

It is that cool.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

And lots of photographs to better show us ignoramuses "how to" do it

Thanks for the positive thoughts guys...glad this is good reading and helpful. Dustyn, the balancing is pretty easy, it is static balanced using a balancer I got from Dave Harvey in the UK. Actually, there's an ebay auction for one of these from ABSLOT. The main problem I had was the axle I got with the balancer was a throw away item. Static balancing depends on the tips of the shaft being a sharp CONCENTRIC point. The axle that came with it was way off of being concentric, not even close. I had Numarc make me a couple of axles, a 2mm and a 3/32". He's our local machinist. I recommend going to your local friendly machinist to have new axles ground for this balancer. Also, I balance the whole wheel and tire once it has been trued to size, and being sure there is no dirt, glue, rubber dust etc. Then, I just cut pieces of blue masking tape about 3/16" wide, maybe 1/2" long and stick the tape on the inside of the hub opposite the heavy point. You will not be looking for perfection, but even adding a little ballast helps offset the weight of the set screw. Also, if you use the short hollow set screws (I get mine from Alpha) you don't need as much ballast.

I couldn't agree more with Dustyn and Mike, this is the best read on the blog. Who ever this "Slotcar Racer" dude is, I sure hope Mom is sharing some of the wealth!

Stay tuned for race results from NORCAL on Saturday.

Also, coming soon is discussion of "2MM" drill blanks, bearings, wheels and motor shafts. Interesting research out by Hermanator.

Herman has givin me some very interesting info on 2mm axles. Its goin to be good reading.
    By the way, the ones I have been using From Roger are 1.97, seems to work well. Will be interesting to see what is more accurate, if any.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

slotcar racer any test news on carbon Fiber hubs ?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    slotcar racer any test news on carbon Fiber hubs ?
    Mic, I've been running the carbon fiber hubs on my new Horky ES24 and the results have been really good for that car. Can I attribute how good the car is performing just to the new hubs? Good question. I had to put in a 3/32" axle, first time I've run that on a ES24 for a long time. One thing I can say is, the change is not detrimental. This particular car is exceptionally good though. The first time I put it on the track, it got down into the 3.1s on the Testarossa which is quite fast. Best time I've seen is high 2.9s. The track is very up and down depending on how clean/used it is, temperature, etc. But this newest car feels really, really good. All I can say about the carbon fiber hubs is they are almost perfectly true, very close tolerance. Once balanced properly, they seem to work well on a rear axle estimated to be turning up to 15,000 rpm. Oh cool, almost time to go home from "work".

Waaaaahhhh Waaaaaahhhhhhhh Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh somebody send the Waaaahhhhbulance....I woke up with a fever and can barely move. Not good. What do you do when you have four bullets for four classes and you have to put the safety on it and put it away? This is very disappointing. Hermanator was just here a few minutes ago, I loaned him one of my Bulldogs, I hope he does well with it. Last year when I was still playing in the Peninsula Symphony, we had Tchaikowsky Symphony #5 all prepared and ready for two performances, Friday and Saturday. In the Tuesday dress rehearsal I felt just like I do now....then for the Thursday dress I had to call the Maestro and cancel....he had to call in a substitute bass trombone at the last minute, but it worked out OK....but very disappointing. Oh well, keeping in mind slot cars are a lot of fun, but without health, you don't have much to work with. So, today is the official start to preparing for The Nats.

OOPS! Sorry about the axle, The first few were maybe not so good. They have improved markedly since then. If anyone has a problem with our products, it always a good idea to drop us a mail at abslotsport@aol.com and we can usually sort things out no problem. Best Regards and happy balancing Andy Brown-Searle
    Andy B