Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

It's 11:40pm on Saturday night. Staying another night at "Casa d'Hood" in Madera,CA. Crash Codger and I sat down 10 minutes ago each with a big mug of Budweiser with tons of ice. It's May in Fresno and the weather is heating up. Codger and I were talking and suddenly his eyes closed and he stopped moving. I suddenly thought to myself, "oh no, this couldn't be the end for this geezer". I looked at his with great concern and he was absolutely motionless. I honestly thought he had left. Then he started breathing and I was relieved. About ten minutes of snoring ensued and just as suddenly as he was gone, he was back! Now he is in the kitchen grabbing a bowl of the smoked almonds I brought and talking with his grandson. Phew, that was a close call. Time to get to bed
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

narcolepsy? or just sleep deprivation?

I think I may have had narcolepsy myself over the past few years... used to doze off suddenly at the keyboard or when on the toilet!

I don't remember the last time it happened now - it's been quite a while! It might be something in my change of scenery, climate, diet, lifestyle, lack of stress, or whatever, but I seem to be cured now!

Tell the ol' Codger to be sure he's getting enough sleep! Hate to have it happen when behind the wheel!

Thank goodness it hasn't happened to me for a long

qwertyuiop[asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./qwertyuiodfghjklzxcvbnm,.rgyoruieyvpvsa
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No Mom, not narcolepsy, just sheer exhaustion from a long day of racing!

I toyed with the idea of racing NASCAR but my car just didn't have enough brakes. That's the part about 16D motors I cannot figure out.

Racing on the flat rack was, uh, challenging. In LMP I may have had narcolepsy myself! In the opening heats I had no driving skill at all, like taking an overdose of Idiot Pills. My crowning achievement in LMP was deslotting three times from track braid up and only Marshall the Marshal finally called track to fix it. But that full punch hit from behind did me in, knocked out the motor and so it was time to ride out the second half of the heat in toothless gear mode. Not a good race.

Next was GT12 which may have been one of the most gruesome races in a long time. I went to sleep last night not with motor noise stuck in my head, instead the sound of crunching lexan. Really bad. I knew my lap total each heat was not bad, just not all that great. Funny thing was, the race director did not hit f8 between heats...perhaps out of fatigue, indifference or dismay, or all the above. Finally with two heats to go we saw the lap averages. Back shortly, my Denny's food is here...

I have never raced in a worse race the drivers didn't drive well and the turn marshalls were worse. The marshalls were so slow picking cars up it was compounding the problems and causing more carnage then they were fixing. After that I probaly will never race Norcal again.
    Norcal needs to divde the classes or drivers or something to improve this situation for the best guy's in Northern cal to have race like that is ridicules. These races should be a showcase of what it is like to race with guy's that can stay on the track and drive like the best driver in the state you guy's are.
    Go fast or go Home.

I lied....not "back shortly" after Denny's in Merced. Drove home and got back around 1:00pm, good to see wife and the beagles. Wife was cooking bacon so the beagles were concentrating very hard in the kitchen, hardly noticed I came home. Wife said things went OK over the past two days and said she left a few notes for me to take care of some things....like this....

DSCN4640 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

So, I went out to the garage and found the old Fastrax refrigerator that I bought at COSTCO back in 1995. It's probably an energy hog but fits on the cabinet in the office closet

DSCN4641 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Then went to the main food refrigerator, took out all the latest Proformance donuts and now have 300 pairs of donuts in the mini fridge with room to spare.

DSCN4642 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Getting back to the last two heats of the 21 heat GT12 race. Ryan hit the f8 key and there was Rocky Rommel, Jr. with the highest lap average of 36.0. Mine was 35.8 and I had two great lanes left, yellow and orange. Things were looking really good on yellow until there was sudden carnage strewn all over the track and I had to tip toe and dance like crazy. It was strange the way each heat seemed to start out OK, but somewhere around a minute to go (3 minute heats) all hell would break loose. Zillions of track calls. Anyway, I only managed 35 laps and it wasn't looking good with one heat left and my lap average slipped. If the job was to be done, it would have to be done on orange in three minutes. Really weird racing against someone who finished the race a half hour before and was nervously waiting on the sideline. Somehow the seas parted as I had a good driver, Bruce, next to me on blue and whoever was supposed to be on green was now carnage and off the track. Raced like I stole it. Rocky and I ended on the same lap and someone said I finished only five feet ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I have never raced in a worse race the drivers didn't drive well and the turn marshalls were worse. The marshalls were so slow picking cars up it was compounding the problems and causing more carnage then they were fixing. After that I probaly will never race Norcal again.
    Norcal needs to divde the classes or drivers or something to improve this situation for the best guy's in Northern cal to have race like that is ridicules. These races should be a showcase of what it is like to race with guy's that can stay on the track and drive like the best driver in the state you guy's are.
    Brian, your frustration is still fresh. You and I discussed this last night and I have to agree with you that the quality of the racing leaves something to be desired. Last night was my last NORCAL race of the season as I may not race at the next race in Vallejo. That said, I look back on the year with a sense of a love-hate relationship. It's rewarding to get good results, and it's humbling when the results aren't so good. Over the past year I have learned to look inside myself to find what went wrong and what went right. At first, I too tended to blame the NORCAL format. But, this race series is really the only program in which I can participate on a regular basis....it's all I got! Brian, you have a fall-back which is your very healthy weekly race program at Hobbytown. You may think differently if you lived where I do with no viable weekly programs within convenient driving range. I'd love to race on Thursday nights in Rohnert Park, but weeknights just aren't viable for me.

Yup, I do hear your anguish....first time in NORCAL can be a rude awakening. But, you have to wonder why the series is perhaps the biggest in this country. There are no monthly series with regular 100+ entries on a Saturday. If anyone knows about it, please post! I don't think it exists. If you have 40+ racers each month with all those entries, there has to be something to it that goes beyond what meets the eye. I think I alluded to what works for me, and I've thought about what the other guys in the series get out of it. I respect them for racing each month.

George I love to race but I really think all could get more out of it! Everybody wants to have a chance to win there class and race against people on there own level and hope to win there class an drive well enough one day to be able to compete against you fred and the other expert drivers. There would be alot less carnage if there werent drivers going a million miles an hour and drivers going 5mph. I believe the participation in NORcal would go up if they divided the classes. Many of our local guy's didnt race the LMP race because they didn't want to get in the way. If the amatures and the advance drivers raced together it would be a better race they would not crash or get crashed into at the high rate it was happening yesterday maybe many of the guy's that race Nascar might race on the flat track instead of going home!! Also sandbagers like me and rocky would race in the expert class to race against you and Fred in real clean race, A race with you Don,Fred,bruce,rocky, Carl would be a real show. It would be a race to watch not race to winse listening to cars getting slamed The LMP and GT12 races were painful too watch to have some of the best drivers in California beat there cars to death! I also know it would lengthen an already long day maybe we might have to have a Nascar day and a Flat track day. I don't know waht to do if you are staying the same you are going backwards.
    Last edited by Flyin Brian; 05-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Go fast or go Home.

Hey George!

Although I have not raced in this series, I think the Mid-South USRA (Div II) gets about 100+ entrants for all classes on a racing Saturday. I believe each class uses the round-robing format.

I stand to be corrected.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

The glass is half full...........(single malt of coarse!)

And then on the other hand, If one can learn to race,stay clean, survive and place in Nor-Cal SCRA, One can race survive and place just about anywhere.

Been away for a while due to among other things injury but, hope to return to action soon.........
    Last edited by backintheslot; 05-06-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: missed my lip
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

Maybe FX George can re-open his slot car center!

Qualifying....A,B,C,etc. mains with move ups.Works everywhere else.Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam pan View Post
    Qualifying....A,B,C,etc. mains with move ups.Works everywhere else.Just sayin'.
    With four classes in one day, That just might work if we started racing at five in the morning.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

With over 100 entries and four classes a 3AM start might work.There are other ways to seperate the wheat from the chaff but I'm sure it has been covered before.I'll do a search for the rotting carcass.Slot-On_______Sam.