Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by backintheslot View Post
    And then on the other hand, If one can learn to race,stay clean, survive and place in Nor-Cal SCRA, One can race survive and place just about anywhere.

Been away for a while due to among other things injury but, hope to return to action soon.........
    You are so right it is survival of the lucky and I will get use to it.
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Maybe FX George can re-open his slot car center!

I once asked that FX dude if he ever thought of opening another slot car shop and the long answer was a resounding...............NO!

Glass is empty now. Time to fluff the pillow.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

The new era of slot car racing is something to behold. Long gone are the good olde days of showing up at the track with your best stuff only to be eliminated after the first 4 heat Consi or Semi and not even getting a sniff at the Main. Now we do it better by letting everyone run a 8 heat Main with positioning decided by qualifying times so all the crash and burn guys get to run together. The final standings based on lap totals so naturally the cream rises to the top unless you had a bad qualifying run then you get to run with the very inexperienced group, having fun playing bumper cars. However, when you run a "round robin" all hell can break loose at anytime and only your driving prowess can save you. Yea, long gone are the good olde days when you fought to improve and to advance out of the Consi or Semi, hell make it straight to the Main with a great qualifying pass. Now we are content to sit in the "G" (God Awful) Main for years just so we can run 8 heats with the rest of the chaff and think how great things are now. Bring back Consi and Semi racing with only one Main, the one that counts.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Fred

When you run multiple-classes in one day with 35-40 racers... who has time for consis and semis? Makes it tough to even have qualifying.

I know I no longer want to spend 16-hours at the track...

And not giving all entrants an opportunity to 'race' a main is a sure fire way to decrease participation at the next event.

LM

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    The new era of slot car racing is something to behold. Long gone are the good olde days of showing up at the track with your best stuff only to be eliminated after the first 4 heat Consi or Semi and not even getting a sniff at the Main. Now we do it better by letting everyone run a 8 heat Main with positioning decided by qualifying times so all the crash and burn guys get to run together. The final standings based on lap totals so naturally the cream rises to the top unless you had a bad qualifying run then you get to run with the very inexperienced group, having fun playing bumper cars. However, when you run a "round robin" all hell can break loose at anytime and only your driving prowess can save you. Yea, long gone are the good olde days when you fought to improve and to advance out of the Consi or Semi, hell make it straight to the Main with a great qualifying pass. Now we are content to sit in the "G" (God Awful) Main for years just so we can run 8 heats with the rest of the chaff and think how great things are now. Bring back Consi and Semi racing with only one Main, the one that counts.
    Well Said. I agree completely.
    I think the problem is trying to run 3 or 4 classes in 1 day.
    It would be better to run 2 classes with a better format in my opinion.

We are in an age of instant gratification now.
    When I was a teenager, I wasn`t a very good racer.
    It took me quite a while before I made the main at a Tri State in Cincinatti.
    I worked on my stuff, and got mentored by a great racer.
    Finally I got better and started having success at Slot Racing.
    These days, everybody makes the main and I wonder if some people have a reason to try to improve their skills.
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 05-07-2012 at 07:03 AM.

I'm not an expert, but I have been in the middle of many slot car races.

I've only been in 1 NorCal race, which was a lot of fun. I plan to do more when I can.

The only "problem" I see is that the driver classifications don't appear to mean much; I can't say that they are related to speed or skill, and there appear to be a lot of sandbaggers racing for points in lower classes, and maybe some "experts" that aren't. That's just my observation. Who cares?? I am not a points guy anyway.

Other than that, Fred and Bluey and the others run a very well-organized program and you can race as much or a little as you want. Turn marshalling......well, some folks are good at it, some not. That's always been the case. Track calls are minimized, which I like. The racers know and observe the rules and you generally seem to get what you give, I guess. Fred deserves a ton of credit for keeping slot racing alive in this area, and a few new tracks are making things interesting. Again, JMO.

Your either a dedicated slot car racer or your not. I remember semis on a weeknight (wednesday) race and consis on the weekend. I ran in Mid-Atlantic races that went from 9:00 am saturday until 5:00am sunday. Then after a short rest (about 4hours) started racing sunday classes until 9:00pm then drove home 4-5 hours to get up for work the next day. No I wasn't a young kid when I did that I was 40 years old. I remember days when winning ment something now the racing is "for the fun of it". That's BS if I'm dedicating my time and finances and hours of practice and miles of wear and tear on my car not to mention the cost of gas then why does anyone want to race just for the fun of it? I have fun when I race my home set with my kids when they were younger and my grandkids now. If I enter a race I want to win or at least have a fair chance at winning. I don't want all my time and effort to be in vane. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of racers who couldn't race cars even with training wheels on them. If I show up at a race and my stuff is so bad that I end up in a semi or consi then that's my fault. If I don't make it to the main, OH WELL, I'll do better prep work next time and if I truely want to race slot cars I won't get discouraged and quit because I didn't make it to the main my first year of racing. Especially when I know there are guys I'm racing against who have been racing for 20+ years and they just might be a little better than me.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Freddie, what about the guys that are just as dedicated, spent as much time, money, and drove just as far, but just aren't good enough to "sniff" a semi let alone a main? Do you really think they will do all that just to watch you race?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    You're either a dedicated slot car racer or you're not. I don't want all my time and effort to be in vain. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of racers who couldn't race cars even with training wheels on them.
    Fred, this same race format discussion happened way back on around page 80 or so and we are discussing it again. It is a good discussion, but I just want to point out that Brian's concern was the race format for the NORCAL series. In the area of "things we cannot control", the NORCAL format is large round robins and you are mixed together. If anyone feels that this means a futile use of time and effort, then just don't race. I can sympathize with Brian because he has never raced this format before and it is very difficult. The only two options are 1) accept the format and do the best you can, or 2) don't accept the format, don't go to the race. It doesn't do much good to complain about stuff we have no power over, the NORCAL format won't change. The series has had too much success over the past 15 years to make changes. I am guilty of wanting changes myself, but I stuck with the series and had a lot of personal growth from it. I don't always look at winning races as an opportunity to grow....those growth opportunities usually only come from the adversity. This past season I've had my motor knocked out a few times now and apparently I did not learn from the first time! Two times double shame on me.

I would say if you are somebody who has been in the series for a long time and you have won some races, then you're in a better position to suggest making changes to the format. But until then, better to pay dues and learn as much as you can to deal with the traffic on the track.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Hey Brian! What classes are you running? LMP! If that is so, then you are running in the most up comming or growing class in NorCal. Just like George has stated, a lot of guys are trying to to get used to flat-tracking. We have split the runners on one occasion to avert this this prolem and I'm sure it will be a strong topic after the end of the season. We may be dealing with the loss of possibly our most valuble officer as there have been some grumblings.So that maybe also a strong topic. Get involved Brian. Gus in Sacto

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Freddie, what about the guys that are just as dedicated, spent as much time, money, and drove just as far, but just aren't good enough to "sniff" a semi let alone a main? Do you really think they will do all that just to watch you race?
    Amen...

If we are going to encourage people to attend races and help track owners make a buck or two,just catering to A-main racers isn't going to hack it anymore...

I'm spending a maximum of eight hours at a track. I drive three to five hours to race.

You want to race meaningless consis and semis... I'm done.

And guess what. From a track owner/Series perspective, the entry fees from the G-main racers spends just as well as yours Fred...

LM

With the talk about the norcal Scra series I believe this racing series is the best to make you a better racer in all class that we run from the big tracks to the flats ,what I have learned from getting back into this hobby is that doing this series does help you out with how to setup your car(s) and get your reactions better ,which to me makes you a better racer,and with the field mixed in with amateur drivers to pro drivers you get to learn how to drive with slower cars to the fasted
    What I've been seeing is that yes I've learned to drive with the best and worst,that's what keeps it going for me ,I've had the honor of helping people get into this racing series and also the beat racers help me out on what problems I'm having especially trying to get my flat track racing better for next year,but with that luckly I know some great flat track racers like rocky rommel Jr,Marshall keener,George Russell,Fred hood and others,and the nice thing they race is the awesome series !!!! Greg
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

The norcal series is great cause some time you get a good draw of who you race with and some times not. I had a decent draw this weekend and last month at tnt bad very bad draw i was the fastest guy in gt12 but was sandwiched between 2 track bumps as i call them and u have to look way ahead and drive with you eyes and try and see through the 9 turn marshalls that clog up your sight lol and on short fast tracks like fresno and tnt things happen really fast . Just be happy that we have a awsome series to race in each month
    kingsize motors
    eagle dist.
    av paints
    speedshop
    tnt raceway

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    You are so right it is survival of the lucky and I will get use to it.
    The thing is Brian, the same guys are the "lucky" ones race after race
    As the saying goes.."luck favors the well prepared !"

Having competed in this series as a mid and back of the pack racer I can firmly attest that the more you race it the better you will get at it. The level of racers in this series is second to none. There is something about a raceway filled with 45 to 50 racers that is hard to beat. The other great thing is that there are tons of new faces each year.

SR is right that we hashed this out earlier in the season as a couple of participants wanting to "tweak" the format to make it better for everyone. It is funny how many people who have never competed in the series think that it is broken and needs a major overhaul. Now that I live 2,000+ miles away, what I wouldn't give to be able to compete in a series just like it, split or no split, just the way it is now.
    Alan Ingram

Flyin Brian.... I had many of the same thoughts as you when the series hit my home track. There was carnage! However, last month in Modesto for the LMP race.... I thought it was very clean. I was even able to use the same body at the Fresno race. Sometimes they're clean and sometimes they're not. One thing is for sure.... it'll teach you how to drive out in front of your car no matter which track you're visiting or who's out there with you. If you're wondering if I'll be able to re use the same LMP body next month in Vallejo, the answer is emphatically, NO See you all there!!
    Jay Herrod