Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

It was a long weekend of slotcar work. Had to get some customer cars prepped for an upcoming race including the fun and excited tearing down and rebuild of a Horky eurosport chassis. They're getting easier and easier, but it's always scarey removing those delicate little parts....afraid of breaking the little guys. No trip to Slot Car Raceway for testing this weekend....heck, it's only a week after my last NORCAL race. I was at least able to pull the motors out of my NORCAL cars and clean up the Bulldog 3s.

Looking at the rules for the Flat Track Worlds in Seattle, I am realizing the Group 10 class is really the USRA GTP class! A flexi chassis, Starfighter (or some other GTP high downforce bodies on their body list) and a Super 16C motor. Very cool. I was telling GearBear I need to put that car back together and try it with an 8 tooth pinion at Frank's....then try it with a 7 tooth. Do both pinions with tech size tires, then small tires. Compare lap times. This is to see if the 8 tooth is really the way to go with this long stack motor.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Check the rules again!!!

Unless something changed very recently - PNW AMCA has NEVER run Super 16-C motors! I'll have to double check the posted rules, but Group 10 has always been Contender or Sportsman armatures in C cans. Those ain't the same animal as Super 16 arms, AFAIK.

I thought you knew about what PNW AMCA "Group 10" was - you have been up there to race several times now!

Now I better go find whatever set of rules that are posted as current. Since I'm a bit out of the loop lately, I am not the one who has updated or posted the PNW AMCA or PSCR rules this past year or two - that has been Jim's baby now.

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Group 10
    Motors:
    Any production Group 10 C-Can motor is allowed.
    Armature must be a tagged Challenger, Contender, S16C, SWasp or Sportsman.
    All armatures must have a minimum stack length of .440”.
    Armature must have a minimum diameter of .510”.Armature may be reconditioned.
    Any manufacturer's armatures or magnets may be interchanged with any manufacturer's set-ups.
    Magnet clips are not required.
    Shunt wires and insulation is allowed.
    Magnets may be glued and honed.
    Can bushing may be replaced with a ball bearing.
    Motor may be soldered into the chassis.

this is off their web page...... looking forward to the flats this year !!!!!!!
    Jim Dalton
    Bone Bodies

ISCC
    Dub Motors
    PMP Chassis
    3rd Eye controllers
    jd102454@yahoo.com

I stand corrected!!! (or at least we are BOTH right!)

The PNW AMCA Group 10 Rules now include the Super 16-C armature, and includes the Challenger, Contender, S16C, SWasp, & Sportsman tagged arms.

Here's a link to the rules:

2012 PNW AMCA Rules

Group 10

Motors:
    Any production Group 10 C-Can motor is allowed.
    Armature must be a tagged Challenger, Contender, S16C, SWasp or Sportsman.
    All armatures must have a minimum stack length of .440”.
    Armature must have a minimum diameter of .510”.Armature may be reconditioned.
    Any manufacturer's armatures or magnets may be interchanged with any manufacturer's set-ups.
    Magnet clips are not required.
    Shunt wires and insulation is allowed.
    Magnets may be glued and honed.
    Can bushing may be replaced with a ball bearing.
    Motor may be soldered into the chassis.

Chassis:
    Only mass-produced 4” "Flexi" style chassis allowed.Pin tubes may be added and chassis may be braced.
    Only bushings allowed - no ball bearings.
    Pan movement may be increased or restricted.
    Front wheel towers may be trimmed for lead wire clearance. Front axle is not required.
    Light weight pans allowed.
    Front wheels must be at least 1/2 inch (.500") diameter.
    Rear axle vertical location may be changed.
    Rear tire width may not exceed .810".
    No other modifications allowed.

Bodies:

See Approved Components Section, List 1 (2012 Change)
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

Jim & I posted at the same time... LOL

Although S-16C arms are legal... I do not know if anyone runs them or not. At least when I was last there, everyone was running Contender or Challenger arms... I could not really tell you the difference, other then the tag.

The last NEW Group 10 car I had was a few years ago... which I raced until it was eventually a B main middle pack car... The last year I enjoyed running the races more then racing... so I've been out of the loop since even before I left the country.

I'm sure some of the PNW guys can chime in with better info!
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 05-14-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald

And just for fun, here are the specs for USRA GTP class.....pretty much the same....

GTP
    Single driver classification (no amateur/expert split). All Scale General
    Technical Rules also apply.
    A. Chassis
    See Stamped Steel Chassis Regulations on page 51.
    B. Motor
    Must be commercially available, meet all USRA manufacturing specs, and
    be approved for use in this class by the USRA. One of the following
    motors may be chosen:
    1. D-Can: Refer to D-Can Specifications on page 46. Super 16D armature
    must be used.
    2. C-Can: Refer to C-Can specifications on page 43. Armature must be
    Super 16C, Super Wasp, or Group 11.
    C. Armature
    Armatures must be commercially available as defined in the USRA Bylaws
    Article X (pg. 15) and must be specifically approved for the class. Approved
    armatures types are Super Wasp, Hornet, GP-11 (Challenger, Contender,
    Competitor, and Sportsman), Super 16D, and Super 16C. See Armature
    Technical Specifications for specs (pg. 46 ).
    D. Bodies
    1. See Scale General Technical Rules – Bodies section on page 49.
    2. Maximum height of body is 1-5/8 inches (41.28 mm).
    E. Gears
    Any gear ratio and any gears may be used. May solder pinion to shaft.
    F. Axles, Tires, & Wheels56
    1. See Scale General Rules – Wheels, Tires & Axles section on page 50.
    2. Minimum Front Tire diameter is .500 inches (12.7 mm).
    3. Sticker front wheels allowed.
    G. Clearance
    See General Scale Rules – Clearance Section on page 50.

Last night mounted a body and pulled some motors apart for rebuild. Spoke with Hermanator on the phone about the upcoming Flat Track Worlds. Starting to plan when to fly up there and coordinating the rental car. Also coordinating CRASH CODGER flying up. I think we'll need a Crown Vic to get us around. Hopefully it will be a black one and we can all wear dark aviator sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    Jim & I posted at the same time... LOL

Although S-16C arms are legal... I do not know if anyone runs them or not. At least when I was last there, everyone was running Contender or Challenger arms... I could not really tell you the difference, other then the tag.

The last NEW Group 10 car I had was a few years ago... which I raced until it was eventually a B main middle pack car... The last year I enjoyed running the races more then racing... so I've been out of the loop since even before I left the country.

I'm sure some of the PNW guys can chime in with better info!
    Paul,

Several of us are now running S16C's. I've been running a .540" S16C for quite a while now. When Rob changed the rules after the first season it only took me a few months to change over. The Contenders are still very competitive and in fact Bill won with one last weekend. My #2 nats motor had oxidized the comm and was a dog, but I haven't worked on my motors since the Nats and it was the only one I had to run. Then in the race I had a lead wire issue and that put me further down in laps... Not a good day of racing for me.

And yes, the RF Starfighter is legal. Though I mostly use the O/S 066 Mercedes or the 069 BentLee. I run a full floating pin tube in front and the Starfighter interferes with that. So I don't run the Starfighter.

And just for fun, here are the specs for USRA GTP class.....pretty much the same....
    One big difference is that we don't have clearance or height rules. You just have to make sure the gear doesn't hang below the chassis.
    Gary Johnson

George
    Are you revealing to us that you are the leader of a super secret slot car "Black Ops" program? Before you know it you'll be refering to your home as Area 52. Good luck at the Flat Track Worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Last night mounted a body and pulled some motors apart for rebuild. Spoke with Hermanator on the phone about the upcoming Flat Track Worlds. Starting to plan when to fly up there and coordinating the rental car. Also coordinating CRASH CODGER flying up. I think we'll need a Crown Vic to get us around. Hopefully it will be a black one and we can all wear dark aviator sunglasses.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    George
    Are you revealing to us that you are the leader of a super secret slot car "Black Ops" program? Before you know it you'll be refering to your home as Area 52. Good luck at the Flat Track Worlds.
    Heee heeee heeeeee thanks Fred! Darn, that race is still two months off. Now time to rebuild my NORCAL motors with shunts. I find they do pull more amps with shunts on them. We run without shunts in the NORCAL series. As a matter of fact, I didn't run any shunts at the Nats and my car was just as fast as some others. Not sure they make all that much difference.

Got some bodies to mount when I get home. Never a dull moment.

Finished up a body mount on a Cheetah 11 car last night. Red Fox Audi R8 with a Hawk 7 motor in it. We used to run that Red Fox Audi R8 in eurosport many years ago and it worked really well. On the old Speedshop chassis I saw Hermanator turning 2.9s on the Testarossa with a six mag small block motor, I think a 23t25. Now we rarely get into the 2.9s even with the latest Horky chassis and multimags with monster horsepower. When it was tuned correctly, the old Speedshop chassis was blazing fast....either that or the track was much faster than it is now....or a combination of the two!

Hi
    what part of the world is the flat track worlds held in and what countrys has it been held in in the past
    richard

the American Flat Track Worlds is held at PSCR in the state of Washington, Edgwood, Wa. ...... as far as I know it has been help in Washington every year but maybe two?? It was help I believe at Mid America one year... It is a race that Lee Gilbert started .... I know that Paul can and will fill in the blanks.. It started up after I left Tacoma, Wa. and headed to Alabama.... dang what a mistake that was..lol.. anyway, it is a great race to plan to attend every year, as is the Wade Raceway 500 held in Idaho in October......(shameless plug for my now home track )......
    Jim Dalton
    Bone Bodies

ISCC
    Dub Motors
    PMP Chassis
    3rd Eye controllers
    jd102454@yahoo.com

Any questions? Doctors only.

Is Dr Nuke planning on a trip to The Flats???

Looks like a fresh batch of RTR's, rebuilds, & spare motors from the Speedshop!

(must be waiting on bodies, GT-12's, & Euros...)

PK
    (I'm not a doctor - but I play one online)
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 05-17-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald