Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

George,

I believe the blue braid juice is used as the lubricant for honing.

The fact that it "attracts" the magnet dust is a bonus

I agree with the proslot hardware. I use it on all of my C and D can motors regardless of the brand of endbell I use.. Not as fancy looking, but doesnt break, hoods open up nice with a diamond hood tool, brushes dont hang up. Reliable is the key, ive had the neg post break on both koford and cahoza hardware.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

George:
    I actually wrote that intending to note it to GearBear, not you, in support of your logic. Glad you read it though and didn't take offense.
    Music and engineering have a lot in common believe it or not.

Your performance across the U.S. definitely validates your methodology.
    Guy Middleton
    Everything I was taught in Engineering school I had already learned from slot cars....

A stupid question.
    How do you hone the magnets?
    Magnetic dust on everything!!!!
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by MentalKase View Post
    George:
    I actually wrote that intending to note it to GearBear, not you, in support of your logic. Glad you read it though and didn't take offense.
    Music and engineering have a lot in common believe it or not.

Your performance across the U.S. definitely validates your methodology.
    Thanks so much Guy, very kind words. Electrical stuff is not my forte (note: forte means "loud" in Italian...we use that in reading music!), and I was on the phone with Dan Ruddock last night yakking about how things have been going over the past 15 years since the 97 Scale Nats....then he started talking technical about controllers. My head was spinning!!! Darlington transistors?!?!? Don't even try to explain that to me, all I know is Darlington is a weird NASCAR track that has a narrow groove and to pass you have to hold your breath and duck low to get around someone.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Back to Work

back to building the last few weeks here's some of the stuff i have Finished. Have to set up the dog 3 for 2 mill axle and 7/40 gears. The Cahozza 1/32 euro motor is the second arm frist 1 was very good for about 300 laps of practice then the comm gave out the second arm is capped so looking forward to seeing it run its a 25 turn double 28 from Bill Bugenis . the 3 new cahozza c -cans are an smg proslot x-12 arm .560 hole 45* 2nd is a proslot sw with smq's .560 hole 45* and the red proslot is t-5's at .565 42*.the camen 16d was completly rebuilt and the fx motor was refreshed . Have another box to do for Rob Geibel so back to work.A little magnet matching also
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog 3..jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	11041  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog 3 1..jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	11042  

Name:	motors..jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	11043  

Name:	macthing..jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	11044  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    back to building the last few weeks here's some of the stuff i have Finished. Have to set up the dog 3 for 2 mill axle and 7/40 gears. The Cahozza 1/32 euro motor is the second arm frist 1 was very good for about 300 laps of practice then the comm gave out the second arm is capped so looking forward to seeing it run its a 25 turn double 28 from Bill Bugenis . the 3 new cahozza c -cans are an smg proslot x-12 arm .560 hole 45* 2nd is a proslot sw with smq's .560 hole 45* and the red proslot is t-5's at .565 42*.the camen 16d was completly rebuilt and the fx motor was refreshed . Have another box to do for Rob Geibel so back to work.A little magnet matching also
    Hi Mic! Last time I heard, Lou didn't allow 2mm rear axles in Open 12, but now that I've actually looked at the rules posted by Speedzone, I see you can use a 2mm axle in any class:

Rear Tires
    Must have maximum width .815" (20.7mm) for all 1/24th classes with the exception of 1/24th Eurosport.
    Maximum rear tire width for 1/24th Eurosport is .900”.
    See individual class rues for maximum tire width for 1/32 F-1 Eurosport and 1/32 Eurosport.
    The rubber portion of the tire contacting the track surface must be black.
    Rear axle size is unrestricted in all classes.

The 2mm 72 pitch spurs are kind of hard to find, aren't they? A few years ago Frank got some for me from JK and I tried them on eurosport using ARP 6T pinion and the 40T spur....gave a steeper gear ratio for eurosport. It worked OK, but did not make enough of a difference to keep doing it. I probably have a few of those lying around. They're green.

Wow, sure is a lot of magnets! I see a bunch of the PS SMQ magnets you have mentioned before. Are those magnets .450" long, or are they .500" long? Also, looks like you prefer the Cahoza "O" can? Is that one exactly the same as the UL except without the teeth? Same gauge metal? I have one myself and at the Fresno race I tried it with a G12 arm and it was too violent for the track. Probably good for The Devil!!!

Final question, how does the weight of the Camen 16D compare to the FX 16D?
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 05-24-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Hi Mic! Last time I heard, Lou didn't allow 2mm rear axles in Open 12, but now that I've actually looked at the rules posted by Speedzone, I see you can use a 2mm axle in any class:

Rear Tires
    Must have maximum width .815" (20.7mm) for all 1/24th classes with the exception of 1/24th Eurosport.
    Maximum rear tire width for 1/24th Eurosport is .900”.
    See individual class rues for maximum tire width for 1/32 F-1 Eurosport and 1/32 Eurosport.
    The rubber portion of the tire contacting the track surface must be black.
    Rear axle size is unrestricted in all classes.

The 2mm 72 pitch spurs are kind of hard to find, aren't they? A few years ago Frank got some for me from JK and I tried them on eurosport using ARP 6T pinion and the 40T spur....gave a steeper gear ratio for eurosport. It worked OK, but did not make enough of a difference to keep doing it. I probably have a few of those lying around. They're green.

Wow, sure is a lot of magnets! I see a bunch of the PS SMQ magnets you have mentioned before. Are those magnets .450" long, or are they .500" long? Also, looks like you prefer the Cahoza "O" can? Is that one exactly the same as the UL except without the teeth? Same gauge metal? I have one myself and at the Fresno race I tried it with a G12 arm and it was too violent for the track. Probably good for The Devil!!!

Final question, how does the weight of the Camen 16D compare to the FX 16D?
    Scr
    Yes we are allowed any axle except hollow
    Jk has all the 40 t 72p gears you want I'm really liking the gear ratio with the small tires the 12 seems to run and handle more like a euro
    the smq's are 500 long i keep the gap at .560 with them and if i cut them to .450 long i keep the gap at .555 the t-5's are 4 of us that got them at $10.00 a pair couldn't pass them up.
    the o cans are what i was given to build personally i like the ul can with the o can we go a little bigger with the gap
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, I will order a pair of SMQs and give them a try with my Super 16C, I like the magnet length matching the length of the armature.

But before I do that, I am going to clean up my Womp and my Sprint Car for Saturday night racing at Slot Car Raceway, Site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nationals. I haven't seen those classes on the schedule in a long time. I emailed LRS and Manion to see if they want to come up to race. Should be a lot of fun if enough racers show up.

Scr
    Just got my second Cahozza production motor with a broken neg tab. will put Proslot copper on it. I have a s16c arm here was looking at set ups to use have an open smq set up could be a good ticket.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Scr
    Yes we are allowed any axle except hollow
    Jk has all the 40 t 72p gears you want I'm really liking the gear ratio with the small tires the 12 seems to run and handle more like a euro
    the smq's are 500 long i keep the gap at .560 with them and if i cut them to .450 long i keep the gap at .555 the t-5's are 4 of us that got them at $10.00 a pair couldn't pass them up.
    the o cans are what i was given to build personally i like the ul can with the o can we go a little bigger with the gap
    Mic how do you cut magnets?
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Mic how do you cut magnets?
    With a small tile saw diamond blade
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic,

We used to use the SMQ's at SHS so I have several pairs of them (mostly still in black Kelly/Red Fox cans). I found that with the higher voltage we run that the SMQ's are too weak. So now you have me thinking that if I opened up the SMQ's to .550" instead of .560", I might be able to use them instead of the stronger T5's, Koford's, etc. Hmmm... interesting! Well it will be easy to do... Now I just have to find the time to do the building/testing!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Mic,

We used to use the SMQ's at SHS so I have several pairs of them (mostly still in black Kelly/Red Fox cans). I found that with the higher voltage we run that the SMQ's are too weak. So now you have me thinking that if I opened up the SMQ's to .550" instead of .560", I might be able to use them instead of the stronger T5's, Koford's, etc. Hmmm... interesting! Well it will be easy to do... Now I just have to find the time to do the building/testing!
    GearBear
    We run 13.8 and I've had very good results they don't have much torque but rev up real well.x-12 and sw are real good with them. contenders are so so
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks Mic. I'll have to give them a try with the S16C. I was using Contenders before, so that is likely why they didn't work!
    Gary Johnson