Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

wink,wink; RACERS --SUPPORT IT : FLORIDA

SCR, I didnt see your name in the results for the Nor Cal wing car club! Looks like they had the Box 12s going pretty good
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Where did you see that DuB?
    Jay Herrod

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Where did you see that DuB?
    I saw the results frank posted on OWH. Great job by the way Jay!
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

George I had the pleasure of meeting Herman yesterday, talk to him about an hour .
    I had a very good time talking and he was going fast!
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    George I had the pleasure of meeting Herman yesterday, talk to him about an hour .
    I had a very good time talking and he was going fast!
    That's great to hear Brian, we spoke on the phone while he was driving over to Fred's house. He said he enjoyed meeting you too. Herman is one of the top racers in the world, so you were fortunate to meet him at your track. He's a wealth of knowledge.

I'm leaving for Frank's in a few hours to have some fun today. Starting to test some stuff for the Flat Track Worlds. I put together a couple of "Group 10" cars according to the Seattle rules, but they are actually just USRA GTP class cars. One is a S16C, the other the Contender I ran at Fresno earlier this month. Both have 8T pinions, unusual for me to run, but I will try it out with the Red Fox Starfighter. I'm thinking with so much downforce it will be more possible to almost full punch the track and thus keep the rpm in the upper band. Report on today's testing and racing to follow....

Oh yeah, tonight we have Sprint Cars and Womps on the SCR schedule. I found the Slot_It crown gear was warped badly on my Womp. I dug around in my spare gear box and came up with a 38T 80 pitch Valiko crown gear for F1 racing, and also a 10T 80 pitch pinion.....yup, put that on the Womp! Very smooth.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I had a really great time last night at SCR and lots of racers showed up. Frank was very happy to see the good turn out and I was glad for him. I ran my Richard Mack JRL/Indycar in the "Moonlite" race on the Blue King using a 16D motor geared 12:42 with 72 pitch. Pro Slot FX set up with BOW .560" 45* arm and ran fast time in the 4.8s on the way to a win. On the Testarossa I ran 7 heats with the Falcon powered Sprint Car, one heat with the Womp. There was a full field for the Hawk powered LMP class won by Tracy Chin followed by Paul Gawronski, Ryan McDaniel and yours truly in 4th. I bought a brand new Hawk 7 and it was fast for six heats then died out in the 7th and 8th heats. It would start fast for about three laps then pooped out. Had it geared 11:40 with .650" tires, X25/C11 (light pans) and JK Prod BMW body. Ended up only 6 laps behind Tracy, but the dying motor was a disappointment. That's why I do not like sealed motors like this, I have no control over the build quality....it's totally gambling. Motor roulette. Poker rotors.

Sounds like it was geared to high. We gear then 13/44 or 13/42 on the king and the monster at Midamerica.

These motors don't like high rpm. They toss a wind or the brushes go south with to much rpm.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Sounds like it was geared to high. We gear then 13/44 or 13/42 on the king and the monster at Midamerica.

These motors don't like high rpm. They toss a wind or the brushes go south with to much rpm.
    Thanks for that tip Mike. I used to run Falcon 7 in a Cheetah 11 chassis and JK Products GT1 bodies up at Frank's every Saturday night, and we geared them just like you are saying, with a 13T pinion. I asked Frank what to use with the Hawk 7 and he said it needs different gearing and I though he said 11T. But, that's a jump of two pinion teeth which is a huge change. I'll try a 13T on this motor and see if I can really blow it up, or I might even waste, I mean spend another twelve bucks on a new motor. I should do a postmortem on that motor, maybe it did use up the brushes?

Thanks Raymond, really good therapy! Besides the fact I just pulled my Castricone chassis out of its storage bag, mounted a new body on it and put in a big nasty 20 mag 94-1/2 motor, the day got better and better. I'll be testing that bad boy this coming weekend....not all that long before The Flats. I really dislike mini motors....

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I had a really great time last night at SCR and lots of racers showed up. Frank was very happy to see the good turn out and I was glad for him. I ran my Richard Mack JRL/Indycar in the "Moonlite"race on the Blue King using a 16D motor geared 12:42 with 72 pitch. Pro Slot FX set up with BOW .560" 45* arm and ran fast time in the 4.8s on the way to a win. On the Testarossa I ran 7 heats with the Falcon powered Sprint Car, one heat with the Womp. There was a full field for the Hawk powered LMP class won by Tracy Chin followed by Paul Gawronski, Ryan McDaniel and yours truly in 4th. I bought a brand new Hawk 7 and it was fast for six heats then died out in the 7th and 8th heats. It would start fast for about three laps then pooped out. Had it geared 11:40 with .650" tires, X25/C11 (light pans) and JK Prod BMW body. Ended up only 6 laps behind Tracy, but the dying motor was a disappointment. That's why I do not like sealed motors like this, I have no control over the build quality....it's totally gambling. Motor roulette. Poker rotors.
    I ran my Richard Mack JRL/Indycar in the "Moonlite" What is a JRL/Indycar and what does it look like I am interested in a Mack or a H/R F1 car which one do you like?
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    I ran my Richard Mack JRL/Indycar in the "Moonlite" What is a JRL/Indycar and what does it look like I am interested in a Mack or a H/R F1 car which one do you like?
    Hi Brian, you just ran JRL/Indycar in that enduro at Hobbytown, at least I think you did. It's just an open wheel 1/24 scale slot car. They run this class regularly back east in the New Jersey series, it sure would be fun to run it more often out here on the West Coast. Also, we're running the class at the USRA Scale Nats next April in New Jersey.

1/24 SCALE IRL/INDY CAR
    May be substituted for 4-1/2 Stock Car at the discretion of the Nats raceway.
    All General Rules also apply.
    A. Chassis
    1. May use the following chassis: Mossetti, FX, Clark, Mack F1, HNR, Parma Flexi 1 853 (may substitute Flexi 2 center 595B), JK JRL Indy car/F1 chassis 2690 and 2692, JK Cheetah 2511, JK Cheetah 7 F1 chassis, Champion Turbo Flex, Champion Astro Flex with narrow pans.
    2. JRL top suspension piece may be bent to ease body mounting.
    3. Stamped steel chassis may add any type of piano wire bracing.
    4. Pin tubes may be added.
    5. Must utilize bushings only. Ball bearings are NOT allowed.
    6. Pan movements may be increased or restricted.
    7. Front wheels must be at least .600 inches in diameter and at least .300 inches wide.
    8. No other modifications will be allowed.
    B. Body
    1. Any 1/24 scale Indy/F1 production body.
    2. Chassis must be completely covered when viewed from above; except for the front wheel assembly and rear wheels, axles, tires, and gear.
    C. Motor
    1. Any commercially-available C-can.
    2. No strap or cut-down cans are allowed.
    3. May notch cans for axle clearance.
    4. May drill one small hole per side in can to ease magnet installation.
    5. May only use single-piece full-height C-can magnets.
    6. May epoxy or superglue magnets in place.
    7. May interchange manufacturers’ parts.
    8. Aftermarket aluminum endbells are specifically legal.
    9. Ball bearings in motor are allowed.
    10. Brush shunt wires and spring insulation are allowed.
    11. The following arms are allowed in Motor Option 1: Super Wasp, Stinger, Hornet, Sportsman, Contender, Challenger, and Competitor. Arms must be tagged and .540 inches in diameter maximum.
    12. Motor Option 2: Super 16D motors, defined as any 16D set-up.
    a) Must use Super 16D magnets.
    b) DM2 magnets are legal.
    c) Minimum stack length .490 inch.

Brian, here is a photo of my Mack JRL chassis, this is the one I ran on Saturday night

DSCN4098 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

JRL is a great class.
    They run it out here in the Tri State ISRA with C Cans, and Falcon 7`s.
    They allow Bearings in the rear axle too.
    Several of the guys run the FX Chassis.