Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Garden State Isra doesn't run JRL in its monthly series but we try to run it once a month at the Garden State Isra Club .Who's in the processed of getting a new home .Where keeping our figures crossed. JRL is my personal favorite They are a blast to drive. We also run them with c-can motors and bearings in the rear.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Brian, here is a photo of my Mack JRL chassis, this is the one I ran on Saturday night

DSCN4098 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Yes we run that class about once every other month we use Falcon 7 or Proslot Puppydogs motor I have one I have only seen one other of the chassis I have. I am interested in getting a new chassis I am looking at the Mack and the H/R. Herman said the mack is tighter and the H/R is looser. What do you guy's think of the Mack and H/R?
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Yes we run that class about once every other month we use Falcon 7 or Proslot Puppydogs motor I have one I have only seen one other of the chassis I have. I am interested in getting a new chassis I am looking at the Mack and the H/R. Herman said the mack is tighter and the H/R is looser. What do you guy's think of the Mack and H/R?
    Herman's had more experience and success in this class than I have, but I would tend to agree with his assessment comparing the two chassis. I ran the Mack at the ISRA Nats last year in Philadelphia because I prefer a tighter car. The HNR was kind of all over the place for me. I think quite a few run the FX chassis in this class, it has some added front end stability in having two front skids. I have one I need to build and test.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Herman's had more experience and success in this class than I have, but I would tend to agree with his assessment comparing the two chassis. I ran the Mack at the ISRA Nats last year in Philadelphia because I prefer a tighter car. The HNR was kind of all over the place for me. I think quite a few run the FX chassis in this class, it has some added front end stability in having two front skids. I have one I need to build and test.
    There were three FX Chassis in the field at the ISRA Nats last year (just checked for confirmation). I ran one, and generally do run one, because it fits my driving style the best. For me, the longer car tends to be more forgiving. I have an HNR and a Mack, and both are quick, but they are just not as easy for me to drive (but the HNR is not far behind the FX). I think it's more the length of the chassis from the guide post to the rear axle that makes the most difference as opposed to having the two front skids. Interestingly enough, I broke the one skid off during the JRL race at the ISRA Nats last year and have yet to repair it.

In my opinion, if the Mack chassis had an optional longer guide tongue so the length was similar to either the FX or the HNR, or somewhere in between, I would be more apt to run the car in a race.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    There were three FX Chassis in the field at the ISRA Nats last year (just checked for confirmation). I ran one, and generally do run one, because it fits my driving style the best. For me, the longer car tends to be more forgiving. I have an HNR and a Mack, and both are quick, but they are just not as easy for me to drive (but the HNR is not far behind the FX). I think it's more the length of the chassis from the guide post to the rear axle that makes the most difference as opposed to having the two front skids. Interestingly enough, I broke the one skid off during the JRL race at the ISRA Nats last year and have yet to repair it.

In my opinion, if the Mack chassis had an optional longer guide tongue so the length was similar to either the FX or the HNR, or somewhere in between, I would be more apt to run the car in a race.
    Interesting, I never thought about the length of the car. This evening I'll check three chassis I have, HNR, Mack and FX to compare. Seems to me, from what I'm reading, that the real key to this class is handling and driveability. I remember posts about motor combos to match this class, bigger armatures, etc. For sure it is a challenging class, and if you can get the right recipe you can do well. At least for me personally it has always been a challenge and I've never had much success with it.

I've decided to get into Eurosport racing and plan on attending the nats at SpeedZone in September, and practicing on Red Lightning, The Devil, and perhaps the UK Black if the Club boys will have me.

Anyway, I picked up a euro motor from Scott at PCH a few weeks ago. Koford six mag, 31T27. I wanted to use 6/45 80 pitch gears however the motor came delivered with a 2mm shaft. Jerry is kind enough to grind it down to 1.5 for me so I should have that to mess around with in a few weeks.

On hand I had a 38T27 camen arm that I won off ebay from Grand Prix about a month ago and I picked up a camen small block setup from Pacific Slot Car Raceways. Finding myself with a free evening I headed to The Race Place to build.

For a chassis I have an old JK springsteel and tube/wire chassis gotten from Hitecca on Ebay. She's a solid beast and I figure if I go with a very conservative wind I won't have a motor AND a chassis broken into a zillion pieces upon the inevitable crash.

Upon arriving at The Race Place I got some parts from Jackie. No spring insulation was to be found however. To heck with it says I, it's 38T27 let's see what happens. Camen light springs and koford vertical brushes purchased. Hrm, brushes kind of a tight fit in the hoods. No mind. Finish building.

Arm shaft is 2mm, so I go with AR-1 EDM 7 tooth 72pitch, with a 44 spur. Cut the shaft, install the pinion, install the motor in the chassis. Not a bad mesh. Sounds good on the test block. On to the body.

Red Fox ISRA/USRA worlds R-10. Cut and mount. Paint. Bulletproof. Decided to try the alpha nylon strips on the pin holes. Jackie is a dear and adds the body lines, me hands have a bit of a tremor. Ok, finished car, on the test block...NOTHIN! Something is rotten in Denmark, err, Farmingdale. Oh well, two weeks and I'll see if Jerry Sr. will take a look at it for me. Interested to find out if I should have went for horizontal brushes instead or if I just need to get me a diamon hone for the hoods.

I'm surprised I managed to keep the scissors on the cut line!

Whelp, 2 week break with a bit of vintage flair in the middle, we'll see where we end up then. Looking forward to seeing Jerry's handiwork.

Mikey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0557..JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	11090  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0558..JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	11091  

Name:	HPIM0555..JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	11092  

Name:	HPIM0554..JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	11093  

Name:	HPIM0556..JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	11094  

Can someone post a picture of a FX indy car. I hear FX is making chassis again and I still haven't decided what car to buy. Mack H/R FX
    Go fast or go Home.

Quote Originally Posted by mdiv View Post
    I've decided to get into Eurosport racing and plan on attending the nats at SpeedZone in September, and practicing on Red Lightning, The Devil, and perhaps the UK Black if the Club boys will have me.

Anyway, I picked up a euro motor from Scott at PCH a few weeks ago. Koford six mag, 31T27. I wanted to use 6/45 80 pitch gears however the motor came delivered with a 2mm shaft. Jerry is kind enough to grind it down to 1.5 for me so I should have that to mess around with in a few weeks.

On hand I had a 38T27 camen arm that I won off ebay from Grand Prix about a month ago and I picked up a camen small block setup from Pacific Slot Car Raceways. Finding myself with a free evening I headed to The Race Place to build.

For a chassis I have an old JK springsteel and tube/wire chassis gotten from Hitecca on Ebay. She's a solid beast and I figure if I go with a very conservative wind I won't have a motor AND a chassis broken into a zillion pieces upon the inevitable crash.

Upon arriving at The Race Place I got some parts from Jackie. No spring insulation was to be found however. To heck with it says I, it's 38T27 let's see what happens. Camen light springs and koford vertical brushes purchased. Hrm, brushes kind of a tight fit in the hoods. No mind. Finish building.

Arm shaft is 2mm, so I go with AR-1 EDM 7 tooth 72pitch, with a 44 spur. Cut the shaft, install the pinion, install the motor in the chassis. Not a bad mesh. Sounds good on the test block. On to the body.

Red Fox ISRA/USRA worlds R-10. Cut and mount. Paint. Bulletproof. Decided to try the alpha nylon strips on the pin holes. Jackie is a dear and adds the body lines, me hands have a bit of a tremor. Ok, finished car, on the test block...NOTHIN! Something is rotten in Denmark, err, Farmingdale. Oh well, two weeks and I'll see if Jerry Sr. will take a look at it for me. Interested to find out if I should have went for horizontal brushes instead or if I just need to get me a diamon hone for the hoods.

I'm surprised I managed to keep the scissors on the cut line!

Whelp, 2 week break with a bit of vintage flair in the middle, we'll see where we end up then. Looking forward to seeing Jerry's handiwork.

Mikey
    Oh boy Mikey, this is a treasure of a post, thanks! Good photos of your older eurosport chassis. Sure, it is a very old design, kind of looks like what Gawronski used at the 1997 Scale Nats at my raceway. Should get around the track pretty well, like you said....solid, not particularly fast, but safe and sound. Keep us updated on this project, looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Can someone post a picture of a FX indy car. I hear FX is making chassis again and I still haven't decided what car to buy. Mack H/R FX
    Here is the FX Chassis
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

And Matt Bruce's complete with reinforcement??? Is that really allowed? Jerry, one of your skids was busted at the Nats last year....

jrl5 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

And here is Casey's Mack chassis:

jrl6 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Hey!

Those photos look very, very familiar. About as familiar as my race race results at those events.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

Hi George,

Just curious the CAN in the second picture looks like Cahoza instead of BOW right?
    Mini Racing Team Uden
    http://www.mrtu.nl/

Quote Originally Posted by robinboer View Post
    Hi George,

Just curious the CAN in the second picture looks like Cahoza instead of BOW right?
    Jerry is running the Cahoza O Can, Matt ran the Pro Slot VIP, and Casey was using the Cahoza UL

News in from Buena Park. Hermanator TQs in GT12 race, 3.40. Twenty (20) entries. I'm trying to find out how they will do the race itself....in the past they have run multi mains.

Flash update from Buena Park Raceway GT12 & Euro 24 June 1, 2012

GT12 / 20 entries / 2 heats 9 & 11 / TQ Heman James 3.40;
    Podium 1st Duran Trujillo 384; Alex Freund 376; Herman James 368

1/24 Eurosport / 14 entries / 2 heats 7 & 7 / TQ Herman James 2.91;
    Podium 1st Paul "Beuf" Pedersen 708 ; Herman James 687; Mike "Who? Racing" Aguirre 640

A good time was had by all. Film at eleven