.

.

Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

  1. #2686
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Mike, I enjoyed the footage at eleven, lots of good post race interviews.....anyway, really good turnout yesterday, congratulations to YOU Mike for being such a good organizer and for keeping scale racing alive and thriving at BP. As you all know, I really wanted to go to this race. It turned out that I was really needed at work, we are only into the second week of the new school year, and my Friday student is particularly inexperienced. I pretty much have to hover over her the whole day just explaining really elementary stuff. But, by the end of her 12 weeks with me this summer she'll have learned a lot. So, in that way, I'm glad I stayed at work.

    Spoke with Herman from the time he left the Motel 6 until he was approaching Gorman....quite a long download, lots of data. I think his math may have been a little off with the lap count in the eurosport race, but it looks like it was a really good one. Nice to see "Who?" get a podium spot!

    Tomorrow I'm heading up to SCR to test eurosport motors. Time to try out all the new arms in the new Owl set ups, take some notes and have em ready for Seattle. I also reset some T2 magnets in one of my Cahoza UL Production set ups....the epoxy in those set ups lasted the entire NORCAL season, but I decided to take the time to knock em out and reglue with Skinner. I have a nice new Carlisle .560" steel slug so when regluing the mags they are aligned perfectly. Also got the Wright Way Wedgies, but they would not work well enough to realign a set of magnets that had been honed....you really need a right-size slug for that job. But I played around with the Wedgies and I can see they are gonna be fantastic for new magnet gluing.

    Got a report from Chakires that he won the LMP race at the last NORCAL race at the Raceway Which Shall Not Be Mentioned. Gawronski Sr came in 2nd, Gawrsonski Jr in 3rd, Tracy Chin 4th and CRASH CODGER 6th. Codger needed a 9th place or better to win the points championship, so he must have been sweating....more than usual....but he did it. They must be running GT12 right now. Sure would be fun to be there running. Oh well. The sun keeps shining, the birds keep singing, and the waves keep crashing along the coast....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  2. #2687
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Sure would be fun to be there running.
    One would think so...
    that's a wrap!

  3. #2688
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    One would think so...
    Said well Mr. Vegas.... I wouldn't know how to describe yesterday. Maybe one word. DRAMA! And not in a good way
    Jay Herrod

  4. #2689
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Said well Mr. Vegas.... I wouldn't know how to describe yesterday. Maybe one word. DRAMA! And not in a good way
    The voltage REALLY went all the way down to under 7 volts during the GT12 race?!?!?!? How is that fair to those racers when during other heats they may have had 9.5 volts and were running as fast as a model train? OK, I revise my statement....glad I can't go there, glad I never will go there, glad I don't even know where it is.

    Thanks Vegas for bringing my two series plaques today, the 1st Place for GT12 Pro and the 2nd Place for LMP (1st went to CRASH CODGER).

    Had a great test session on the yellow lane of the Testarossa today. Testing for The Flat Track Worlds in Seattle, so I ran the Audi R10 long on my Gugu Special Castricone chassis. Did testing on seven motors, five of them were good, two need revision. The good motors ran 2.99-3.15 best times. The 2.99 was the Voki 10 mag with the Valiko Aluminum Comm 84.5. Next best, running 3.04, was the Valiko 94.5 in one of my Owl 12 set ups. Hard to keep up with the car when going that fast, but it was fun, and the track was kind of loose too.

    Tried the JRL with the 16D motor in it on the flat track and it was chattering like a band of monkeys....too heavy, too much bite. Didn't play with extra weight in front, but did put in a Cahoza UL with Contender and it got down into the 4.3s with no chatter. Sounded like a monastery it was so quiet. Mack JRL chassis....sweet!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  5. #2690
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ca.
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    The voltage REALLY went all the way down to under 7 volts during the GT12 race?!?!?!? How is that fair to those racers when during other heats they may have had 9.5 volts and were running as fast as a model train? OK, I revise my statement....glad I can't go there, glad I never will go there, glad I don't even know where it is.

    Thanks Vegas for bringing my two series plaques today, the 1st Place for GT12 Pro and the 2nd Place for LMP (1st went to CRASH CODGER).

    Had a great test session on the yellow lane of the Testarossa today. Testing for The Flat Track Worlds in Seattle, so I ran the Audi R10 long on my Gugu Special Castricone chassis. Did testing on seven motors, five of them were good, two need revision. The good motors ran 2.99-3.15 best times. The 2.99 was the Voki 10 mag with the Valiko Aluminum Comm 84.5. Next best, running 3.04, was the Valiko 94.5 in one of my Owl 12 set ups. Hard to keep up with the car when going that fast, but it was fun, and the track was kind of loose too.

    Tried the JRL with the 16D motor in it on the flat track and it was chattering like a band of monkeys....too heavy, too much bite. Didn't play with extra weight in front, but did put in a Cahoza UL with Contender and it got down into the 4.3s with no chatter. Sounded like a monastery it was so quiet. Mack JRL chassis....sweet!
    The voltage really went down to 7 volts that would be hard for me to deal with.
    Is the Mack jrl car really good as it looks if it is you are going to make me get one for our 12 race on the hillclimb.
    Go fast or go Home.

  6. #2691
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Paonia, Colorado
    Posts
    1,452
    SR,

    Could you talk a little about something slightly off the usual topics? I was going to ask you about this at the Nats, but it was too busy there.

    I currently run a Mack 24 ES. I like it because it's very forgiving and easy for me to drive. When I bought it, it was still winning Masters and Nats. Now most of the really quick racers run Horkys or Castricones. I had a 2008 Horky. It was OK, but in my hands not nearly as forgiving. My strategy last year was to work on my motors and my driving, and actually that worked really well.

    Do you think that the Horky and/or Castricone chassis offer a substantial performance plus for intermediate drivers. I'm not sure if I should give up my slightly outdated, but very easy to drive and to tune chassis.

    Thanks!

    Greg

  7. #2692
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va.
    Posts
    804
    Good catch on those wedges George, but heres a lesson I learned working with them and using honed magnets. If you intend to use magnets that have been honed previously then just dry fit them to the can you intend to put them in along with the magnet slug you intend to use. If the slug fits loosely then the wedges won't work, however if the slug fits tightly or not at all then you can use the wedges because the epoxy will take up some space and you'll still have to mildly hone the setup for the proper air gap. With the exception of my new T5s all the other magnets I installed using wedges had been honed. Then again they had been honed in GP12 motors using .518 arms and the new setups I used them in used .540 arms so there was still honing left to be done.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

  8. #2693
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    grove city ohio
    Posts
    201

    FX Chassis

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Can someone post a picture of a FX indy car. I hear FX is making chassis again and I still haven't decided what car to buy. Mack H/R FX
    Brian:
    We never stopped making chassis'. Actually this may be a good place to announce that we have finished up the CAD drawings for a NEW chassis design and will have the prorotypes ready soon. Look for an ever Faster and Better handling car, it is built w/ some of the same design work as our 1/24 Euro chassis is and uses parts of the current design as well. The INDY car class is one of the hottest and fastest growing classes in the U.S. right now, lets ratchet up the level just a little to make it more fun.
    Thanks FX Products

  9. #2694
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by RonFX View Post
    Brian:
    We never stopped making chassis'. Actually this may be a good place to announce that we have finished up the CAD drawings for a NEW chassis design and will have the prorotypes ready soon. Look for an ever Faster and Better handling car, it is built w/ some of the same design work as our 1/24 Euro chassis is and uses parts of the current design as well. The INDY car class is one of the hottest and fastest growing classes in the U.S. right now, lets ratchet up the level just a little to make it more fun.
    Thanks FX Products
    This is great news Ron! Feel free to post any photos on this thread when you get new prototypes running. You're right about JRL Indycar, a very fast growing class....something completely different from all the other classes. I'm wondering when Gugu is going to come out with a new Indycar body like this year's new car.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  10. #2695
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    The voltage really went down to 7 volts that would be hard for me to deal with.
    Is the Mack jrl car really good as it looks if it is you are going to make me get one for our 12 race on the hillclimb.
    Spoke with Codger last night, he said they got the voltage readings off his Third Eye, it was 6.5 volts. Then Somebody Who Shall Not Be Named took the battery off the drag strip and moved it to the road course boosting the voltage to something like 14 volts and all of a sudden cars were flying off in all directions. Sounds like so much fun you could hardly contain your glee.

    Brian, I think the Mack has a leg up on durability too. The front wheel struts are really stout, you may have noticed in photos I posted of my own car you install a 3/32" front axle and you can then cut out the middle of the axle once the front end it set up.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  11. #2696
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    SR,

    Could you talk a little about something slightly off the usual topics? I was going to ask you about this at the Nats, but it was too busy there.

    I currently run a Mack 24 ES. I like it because it's very forgiving and easy for me to drive. When I bought it, it was still winning Masters and Nats. Now most of the really quick racers run Horkys or Castricones. I had a 2008 Horky. It was OK, but in my hands not nearly as forgiving. My strategy last year was to work on my motors and my driving, and actually that worked really well.

    Do you think that the Horky and/or Castricone chassis offer a substantial performance plus for intermediate drivers. I'm not sure if I should give up my slightly outdated, but very easy to drive and to tune chassis.

    Thanks!

    Greg
    Hi Greg, I'm sorry we didn't have more time to yak at the Nats, as usual it was one gigantic thrash session. Hermanator and I were tucked away back in The Ghetto, sort of hidden from view.

    If you are happy with the Mack chassis, I don't see any reason to change to something else unless you have extra money lying around to test the other chassis. I still think the 2010 Horky "Chicago" chassis is the best of his creations, and the current Castricone with floating guide tongue is the best out of Italy....if you can plunk down that kind of cash to pick up one or both of those chassis, then you can find out. Not sure the Horky 2008 is very good. I think Greg Gilbert has run a Horky from that era, but they soldered the guide tongue solid which basically turns it into the 2010 chassis.

    I was on the phone with CRASH CODGER last night and we were discussing eurosport chassis. The Mack is really fast on the Testarossa when it is loose. I find just the opposite of what you are saying, particularly when the track tightens up, that my Mack gets very tight. Looks great on the track, but when too tight, it will sudden wind up like a spring and suddenly let go. The other two chassis seem more predictable on a tight track, but on a fresh track they are kind of loose.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  12. #2697
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Good catch on those wedges George, but heres a lesson I learned working with them and using honed magnets. If you intend to use magnets that have been honed previously then just dry fit them to the can you intend to put them in along with the magnet slug you intend to use. If the slug fits loosely then the wedges won't work, however if the slug fits tightly or not at all then you can use the wedges because the epoxy will take up some space and you'll still have to mildly hone the setup for the proper air gap. With the exception of my new T5s all the other magnets I installed using wedges had been honed. Then again they had been honed in GP12 motors using .518 arms and the new setups I used them in used .540 arms so there was still honing left to be done.
    Agreed Fred, if you have some honing to do, then of course the wedgies are sufficient. If you are taking magnets from a .535" airgap and intending to punch them out to .550"+ then no accurate plugging is needed. The ones I did this past weekend were Cahoza UL Production set ups honed to .560". The glue used in the Production set ups lets go in less than 10 seconds of soldering iron application.....that versus about five minutes for Skinner! That's why I took the time to do it, especially with that nice Carlisle 560 slug. Once I got a nice thin layer of Skinner on the magnets and on the inside of the can, the Carlisle slipped in there with a very tight press fit. Popped them in the dedicated epoxy oven out in the garage, and an hour and a half later pulled it out, let it cool, pulled the Carlisle and no surprise, the airgap checked out to be .560 on the dot!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  13. #2698
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va.
    Posts
    804
    George
    Just wanted to know how you manage to keep the tips perfectly parallel during the curing process? If you measure the distance between tips on the top and bottom of the setup is the measurement the same down to the thousandth? The wedges allow that type of perfection. I can never get them perfect with a slug. Yeah yeah I know that's being a little anal but I like to get motor work as close to perfect as I can.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

  14. #2699
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ca.
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by RonFX View Post
    Brian:
    We never stopped making chassis'. Actually this may be a good place to announce that we have finished up the CAD drawings for a NEW chassis design and will have the prorotypes ready soon. Look for an ever Faster and Better handling car, it is built w/ some of the same design work as our 1/24 Euro chassis is and uses parts of the current design as well. The INDY car class is one of the hottest and fastest growing classes in the U.S. right now, lets ratchet up the level just a little to make it more fun.
    Thanks FX Products
    Ron I am glad you are making a new chassis!
    I'm happy to see you posting on slot racer today this is the most informative Blog in slotcar racing!
    Ron do you have a web sight that i can look at your chassis's?
    I will run the chassis I have for a while.
    Go fast or go Home.

  15. #2700
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Last night I pulled some PK 19t25 eurosport arms out of a couple of set ups and sent them off to Beuf for recon. Otherwise, it's time to hunker down and start painting bodies for the Flat Track Worlds.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •