Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Thank you, George!

I went to Dom's Raceway on Saturday and Dom took a look at the brushes and sanded them down a little. We then put it on the track and the car went from standing still to full throttle in about 1 foot, hah! We figured the gearing needed to be worked on. We're trying 7/40 then 11/44 (the smallest 72p pinion he had was 11) to see which the motor likes better.

Any thoughts on a ballpark gear ratio for 38/27? A few months back I played with a G27 wing car and I geared it 9/38 64pitch. G27 is 27 turns 27, right?

Any advice would be appreciated. Dom is working on the motor and we are gathering at his place for vintage night on Thursday and I'm anxious to see how the two test ratios fared.

Thanks,

Mikey

Gp-27

GP-27 is 38 Turns of 27.

Tony, thanks for providing the answer about G27....and of course it is hand wound as opposed to a machine wound G20 which is also 38t27. Anyway, Mikey, I don't know who Dom is. In your previous post you mentioned going to the Race Place, Herbert Sr's raceway. Not sure if Dom's raceway is the same. Seems like you guys have a lot of places to race back there in Jersey!!!! I'm kinda jealous. Is the car where you sanded the brushes the older eurosport chassis car with the six mag set up and 38t27 arm? The gear change you made is not a good one for eurosport. You want to go the other direction from 7:40.....better to go 6:40, not 11:44. Wing car gearing is completely different. With a eurosport, you are not looking for straightaway speed...e.g. with an 11T pinion, it will be unwieldy and never reach full speed. Unless you are running on the Engleman at Mike and Jay's place..that might make sense. But on a road course, with that 38t27 you should stay with the 7:40 or even try a 6:40. You'll have to grind the arm shaft down to 1.5mm, but I think you mentioned Jerry knows how to do that. It ain't brain surgery!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Hi George! Thanks for the great response, and thank you Tony for the G27 spec.

Here's Dom's page: http://www.domsraceway.com/ This is out in Cream Ridge near Six Flag's Great Adventure. He's open for racing on Saturday nights. Jackie and Jerry Sr went on Vacation and I had an itch to mess around with slots, so Friday night I drove to SpeedZone to find it closed. I think they were all at RetroPalooza. So Saturday I made the trip to Dom's (You're right, I'm lucky to have several raceways so close: The Race Place is 10 mins from home, Dom's 30 mins and SpeedZone about 75 minutes) to see if he'd take a look at the Camen eurosport motor I "built." Small block Camen single mag radial with a 38/27 camen arm. This is in the older chassis pictured in my last post, geared at 7/44. The 31T27 six mag koford motor is with Jerry Jr for grindage.

I agree 11/44 is more than likely an epic fail (Hell I had a group 10 16D car that I geared 10/41 when I was racing that) but we're going to give it a shot if 7/40 doesn't pan out. Based on my experience with the 27 car I'm thinking 8/40-something or 9/40-something would be a better range.

The older chassis pictured came with a 94.5 koford arm in a koford quad setup. I just threw tires on the car and it worked right out of the box. For gearing, the pinion was a 7 and the spur was a metal gear that had "49" scratched on it. Not sure of the manufacturer or the pitch of the gear, it looks 72 pitch. Faas? Haas? Bueller? The motor is with Jeff K for reconditioning. I guess one could guess I have a lot of options on the table....

Does anyone even use the softer winds for 124ES?

Mikey

Mikey, thanks for the link to Dom's, nice looking Hillclimb and a lot of good racing activity. The closest track I can go to is 45 minutes away in Rohnert Park, then in Modesto which is about 75 minutes in good traffic, and Rocklin near Sacramento is maybe about 75-90 minutes.

I'm liking 94.5 in my 1/24 eurosport these days, seems like I am now running 18 or 19 turns of 25 or 24.5. I believe the mildest 1/24 eurosport arms run nowadays would be a 23t25, and we see many running 22t25 and 22t24.5. I don't see many guys running 26 or 27 wire any more except maybe in 1/32 eurosport. Chassis nowadays are much lighter and of course more "evolved" since the mid 90s or so when your chassis was designed. Premier chassis designers are Richard Mack, Piero Castricone and Vladimir Horky....The Big Three.

As of last evening, all C Can armatures are pulled out of set ups, now it's time to clean all of them in the ultrasonic cleaner then zap the daylights out of them on the trusty BOW zapper.

Cleaned out the bearing holes on the Horky 1/24ES chassis prepping for soldering in some fresh Slotfox bearings. Last time I ran this chassis was at the Nats when the rear axle bearing on the gear side failed. It was a valuable lesson to not skimp on eurosport preparation, now I'm going to change bearings every two races even if I am using 2X5 Shielded Flanged bearings. When the rest of the car costs so much money, it only makes sense to replace these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Hi Greg, I'm sorry we didn't have more time to yak at the Nats, as usual it was one gigantic thrash session. Hermanator and I were tucked away back in The Ghetto, sort of hidden from view.

If you are happy with the Mack chassis, I don't see any reason to change to something else unless you have extra money lying around to test the other chassis. I still think the 2010 Horky "Chicago" chassis is the best of his creations, and the current Castricone with floating guide tongue is the best out of Italy....if you can plunk down that kind of cash to pick up one or both of those chassis, then you can find out. Not sure the Horky 2008 is very good. I think Greg Gilbert has run a Horky from that era, but they soldered the guide tongue solid which basically turns it into the 2010 chassis.

I was on the phone with CRASH CODGER last night and we were discussing eurosport chassis. The Mack is really fast on the Testarossa when it is loose. I find just the opposite of what you are saying, particularly when the track tightens up, that my Mack gets very tight. Looks great on the track, but when too tight, it will sudden wind up like a spring and suddenly let go. The other two chassis seem more predictable on a tight track, but on a fresh track they are kind of loose.
    Hi Greg,

I'm currently running my 2010+ Horky most of the time. I also have 2 Mack's. Like George, I find the Mack to be the ticket on a looser track, and the Horky to be the choice when the bite comes up. The Horky just seems to be a more forgiving car to run most of the time. The interesting thing about the new Horky is that it seems to work well MOST of the time and the rest it just gets a little loose with no changes to the chassis. Where as the Mack you have to add/remove weight to tune it. I find that IF I can run the Mack with no weight in the front it will be ballistic, but as soon as I have to add weight to make it handle, the Horky will be faster and easier to drive at those speeds.

I haven't driven the Castricone much but it is also a great chassis. I also have a 2009 Horky, that is currently on consignment at Wade Raceway. I don't think it is near the chassis that the current Horky is.

Hey, you coming to the Flats next month?
    Gary Johnson

As of last evening, all C Can armatures are pulled out of set ups, now it's time to clean all of them in the ultrasonic cleaner then zap the daylights out of them on the trusty BOW zapper.

Cleaned out the bearing holes on the Horky 1/24ES chassis prepping for soldering in some fresh Slotfox bearings. Last time I ran this chassis was at the Nats when the rear axle bearing on the gear side failed. It was a valuable lesson to not skimp on eurosport preparation, now I'm going to change bearings every two races even if I am using 2X5 Shielded Flanged bearings. When the rest of the car costs so much money, it only makes sense to replace these parts.
    I replaced all my bearings before the Nats. Unfortunately I chose the wrong body color when painting my Euro bodies and the car simply disappeared on me with the bodies I painted for the race. So I used one of the bodies from Last years Nats and didn't have a spare. Then half way though a heat I sucked the body into the gear and my race was over. Note to self, my eyes are too bad to use Red as the main color of a body.
    Gary Johnson

Horrible news, Marchon Eyewear is discontinuing Slapshot's frame. The rep is here and we have to send it back to the company. It was a good one.

photo (35) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Last night painted a Red Fox Starfighter in my old 90s paint scheme....

DSCN4670 by svtgeorge, on Flickr

Horrible news, Marchon Eyewear is discontinuing Slapshot's frame. The rep is here and we have to send it back to the company. It was a good one.

photo (35) by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    what a bummer, I approve of both of those!
    Jay Herrod

Flats

Gary,

I have a date conflict and can't come this year. I'm sorry!

Greg

That's too bad Greg! I know you were thinking about it at the Nats.
    Gary Johnson

Last night painted a Red Fox Starfighter in my old 90s paint scheme....

DSCN4670 by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    WOW!!!

That is a BRIGHT color scheme!!!

I think even Slapshot could see that body... without his Marchon Eyewear!!!

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today's Question: Is on Hemi wound arms (I know the wiring issue I have a BOW hemi contender). I'm trying to decide on a new arm.
    I was looking at Proslot x12 and atom x12 hemi wound which would you choose and why?
    Thanks
    Go fast or go Home.