.

.

Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

  1. #2716
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
    Today's Question: Is on Hemi wound arms (I know the wiring issue I have a BOW hemi contender). I'm trying to decide on a new arm.
    I was looking at Proslot x12 and atom x12 hemi wound which would you choose and why?
    Thanks
    Best to ask the advice of a successful local racer in your series. Greg Streeter has had some success with the hemi- wound ATOM arms in the Nor Cal series.
    Hemi wound arms must have the lead wires reversed or the magnets zapped opposite the Pro Slots. Out East here the motor builders tell me that reverse zapping the magnets works better than reversing the lead wires. No Idea why this should be so.

  2. #2717
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Bill, you can also just wire it normally and leave the magnets alone, but run the car backwards on the track. This would work in a NORCAL race about the same as running the same direction as the other cars.....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  3. #2718
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sunny So Calif
    Posts
    655
    I agree with Bill on the crossing leadwires. When I ran RJR arms in SoCal, I found that the motor ran alot better when I reversed the magnets rather than when I just crossed the leadwires. Plus if the magnets are reversed on the hemi wound arms, you dont have to remember to cross the leadwires when youre doing a motor change in the race
    James Grinstead

    TEAM KOFORD

    Why so serious?

  4. #2719
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    I agree with Bill on the crossing leadwires. When I ran RJR arms in SoCal, I found that the motor ran alot better when I reversed the magnets rather than when I just crossed the leadwires. Plus if the magnets are reversed on the hemi wound arms, you dont have to remember to cross the leadwires when youre doing a motor change in the race
    As I said I don't know why it should be that reversing the magnets is better. Good to get more confirmation. This is into the "dark art" of motor building.?????????

  5. #2720
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Bill, you can also just wire it normally and leave the magnets alone, but run the car backwards on the track. This would work in a NORCAL race about the same as running the same direction as the other cars.....
    You must have a lot of "fun" at those NORCAL events. Maybe it has something to do with the agricultural production just north of you there.

  6. #2721
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central Ca.
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by wbugenis View Post
    You must have a lot of "fun" at those NORCAL events. Maybe it has something to do with the agricultural production just north of you there.
    I usually want to use those products after a NORCAL race!
    Go fast or go Home.

  7. #2722
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Finished watching F1 qualifying, looks like Vettel is back after a slow start to the season. Time to head back to the slot room to finish prepping cars for tomorrow's test session at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif. I assembled my trusty Horky with brand new Slotfox axle bearings, this was the car that blew out the gear side axle bearing in the semi at the Nats. I still don't like that. Anyway, new bearings and a new Audi R10 Long (as we run the long version in Seattle). I have an Owl 12 with Valiko 94.5 in it.

    The Gugu Special is also ready for testing. This is the car that broke 3 seconds last week. Tomorrow I will have the other Owl 12 with a Pro Slot 84.5 in it.

    Time to head back to the shop, I just put together the motor I qualified with for 1/32ES at the Nats and went on to run it in the semi. Switched to the Chick's motor for the Main, got me a 3rd. I still like that, kinda.

    OK, off to work again.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  8. #2723
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,491
    Hopefully "Finger Man" will tangle at the start of the race and we will end up with a seventh new race winner for the year

  9. #2724
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Hopefully "Finger Man" will tangle at the start of the race and we will end up with a seventh new race winner for the year
    I agree, I like it better when we don't already know at the beginning who is going to win. Last year got a bit boring.

    Speaking of boring, I just realized looking in my car box that I had put all the weights into one of my Bulldog 3 chassis....I can't remember what got into me with that idea. I won the NORCAL GT12 Championship running all the races with no weights at all. So, this morning I need to unsolder them and clean up the chassis. We have a race on the 23rd at Frank's for GT12.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  10. #2725
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279

    photo (36) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

    photo (38) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

    photo (37) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

    photo (39) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

    photo (40) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

    photo (41) by svtgeorge, on Flickr

    photo (42) by svtgeorge, on Flickr
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  11. #2726
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    146
    Hey George, After you bake and hone your magnets, do you give them another zap? Yesterday, I honed several new setups. Took magnet readings before and after. After honing, the numbers went down but only fractionally due to less magnet mass and after rezapping they didn't come up at all...is this normal? Or am I just lucky...lol
    Jay Herrod

  12. #2727
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Hey George, After you bake and hone your magnets, do you give them another zap? Yesterday, I honed several new setups. Took magnet readings before and after. After honing, the numbers went down but only fractionally due to less magnet mass and after rezapping they didn't come up at all...is this normal? Or am I just lucky...lol
    Jay, thanks for doing that bit of research. Interesting to know that the magnet readings remained more or less unchanged. I bake my Skinner for at least an hour at 325* which for a motor is not all that hot. Because I have a BOW Zapper, I just go ahead and zap magnets anyway. I don't know if this is required, or maybe I am just into hocus pocus.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

  13. #2728
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    45
    Hey George, I was looking at your setup....I have always used the wedges in the other direction if possible...trying to keep the tips all parallel. And I think it can't hurt to zap them after any baking or machining. Any thoughts??

  14. #2729
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va.
    Posts
    804
    George
    Why did you install the magnet wedges in that manner, or are you just pulling our leg? I use them across the tips, is this something new? Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

  15. #2730
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Richmond, CA
    Posts
    1,279
    Not kidding, that's how I baked em. Didn't get any instructions and nobody posted any photos, so I used them this way to jam the magnets against the can like a slug with unlimited diameters. I'll try it the other way next time. Thanks for the tip Fred and Chuck.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •