Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Oh yeah, I'll get two more chances now. I knocked the T2s out of two production set ups this morning and counted to see how long it takes for that grey epoxy to let go. It was really consistently between 9-10 seconds with my Hakko soldering station turned up all the way. The Skinner epoxy, on the other hand, would take 4-5 minutes of the same before it let go. I'll wedgie the tips on these next two set ups and post photos just to make sure I am doing it right.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

"I bake my Skinner for at least an hour at 325*"

The directions from the manufacturer of that product state 350 degrees for the final cure. Some of these heat cured adhesives are sensitive enough so that will make a difference.

Lou has had magnets come out when his toaster oven was running cool. Also, I have a collection of oven thermometers that vary by 25 degrees from each other.

Bill

George thanks for showing me this way. Ive always liked the Kelly 4 hold can and never thought of a way to use the wedges because the magnet retainment tabs were always in the way. Ill have to try it this way in that can, but Freddie is right you want to go across the tips or from top to bottom.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    George thanks for showing me this way. Ive always liked the Kelly 4 hold can and never thought of a way to use the wedges because the magnet retainment tabs were always in the way. Ill have to try it this way in that can, but Freddie is right you want to go across the tips or from top to bottom.
    Hi James, I tried the top to bottom method last night and it was a dismal failure. When the wedgies are parallel to the top and bottom, then when you tighten them they exert force to the top and bottom. I really don't understand why we want to put the force in that direction because there is no glue on the tops and bottoms of the magnets. True, it exerts some force to the sides.

I naturally figured to use the wedgies to apply the force side to side pushing the magnets against the sides of the can, this is where the epoxy is located. I only want to make sure the magnets do not shift while in my Easy Bake Oven. I tried a pair last night with it oriented top to bottom and the magnets shifted about 1/16". Of course, I wasn't happy with that and immediately hit em with the soldering iron and knocked them out of the can....luckily only took less than a minute for those suckers to let go.

I baked another Cahozer set up with a .529" allie slug and guess what? It worked just fine!

Oh God help me, I feel a “Soap Box” coming on here: Some racers are into measuring things....calipers, gauss meters, doo dads and thingamabobs. They are looking for an OBJECTIVE way to do things....a SCIENCE.

On the other hand, you have knit wits like me who treat slot car racing with much more superstition. To me it is all SUBJECTIVE. I think the alignment of Mercury and Jupiter has more to do with how fast a slot car goes on a given day than sitting there measuring something or other and trying to figure out how to make it more perfect. Does the gauss meter read 1.678 or 1.679? WHO CARES???

I was explaining to somebody that some of the fastest motors I have ever seen are the ugliest most misaligned looking pieces of garbage you've ever seen. Problem is, those garbage heaps go flying by you on the racetrack....dooohhhhhhh!

I remember when I first got back into slotcars in 1993 I went down to Slotcars Unlimited in San Jose and there was a guy known as Grouchy Bob. Bob built the stupidest fast motors, and he used methods like wrapping strapping tape around the armature as a bushing alignment tool. Oh my God! He was off by .001"!!!! Horrors!!!! Oops, Bob's motors would be flying around all the precise scientists on the track.

Sometimes it just comes down to once you start building fast motors, and you do it with your own methods, then you keep building and keep building. First thing you know you've been building fast stuff for several years. Looks like garbage....top magnets are .269" wide on one side, .289" wide on the other....does it matter? Apparently not. Not unless you think it has to be perfect.

Don't get me wrong, there are builders who make things perfect. Some of my best eurosport motors are Voki set ups, and those things are gorgeous. Then again, I have other eurosport motors that are just as fast but do not have those movie star looks the Voki set ups have. I think all that matters is, if you find a way to build your motors....beautiful, perfect and straight, or ugly, nasty and crooked....and it works, then keep doing it. If you see some other way to do something, sure, try it out, but always be skeptical.

Tonight I'm going to have to reglue that Cahoza set up where the magnets shifted. I'll be using the wedgies with them pushing the magnets to the sides, not top and bottom. The wedgies seem to me to be a good substitute for a perfect fit allie plug. I'm just gluing the magnets into the can and hoping they don't shift on me, that's all.

regarding your use of epoxy.... why aren't you just using JB weld?

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    regarding your use of epoxy.... why aren't you just using JB weld?
    Hi Ed, I use Skinner epoxy because it holds up so well against heat. When you remove and replace motors often as in eurosport racing, you want an epoxy that is very heat resistant...epecially if you are using a multi mag cobalt motor. I am secure with the use of Skinner because I know it takes a good 4-5 minutes of holding the soldering iron to the can before the stuff lets go, and when you solder in a motor you should only have the iron on the back of the motor a few seconds. JB Weld does not resist heat in this way.

wedgies

Scr
    I'm more of a feel builder but I also like it to look good just me. I've never had a problem with the wedgies using them top to bottom they force the magnets to the side just fine for me .With that said I only use them with new magnets when replacing already honed magnets i use the proper size slug.
    Your 100% right I've seen motors that looked like junk with rusted lams a years worth of track crud on them and there rockets go figure .In my mind the better you do with your set ups there's less that can go wrong in the middle of a race and hope you get that off the shelf rocket arm.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

George
    No soapbox here just hoping to help out a fellow racer who I highly respect. If alignments were not necessary then why align the bearings or brush hoods? I know .001 is getting a little anal but when you use the wedges that's just how close the tolorence ends up. I've also seen some sorry motors that were bullets but when everything is "spot on" it all just works better and marginal motors surprise you. Why use Skinner epoxy when JB Weld will do. Because it's important to bring the best gun to the gun fight.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Yeah sometimes those bullet motors look ugly lol I remember at the 08 Nats in Katy, TX Reggie Coram TQ'd Grp 27 with a motor that the air gap was bigger on one side than the other. I guess whoever built the motor accidentally squeezed the setup too hard, when he was honing. All I know is that the motor was the only 1.5 Grp 27 motor I have ever seen.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

JB will never come loose.... I've seen it used on top fuel motors with never a weep.

JB Weld would probably work for ceramic motors, but I would not try using it for any cobalt stuff. I used to glue my ceramic stuff with koford epoxy, its held together for 3 years and counting so far.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

IF it is worth doing... It is worth overdoing.

But in all honesty- I do sleep better at night knowing that the $450.00 motor I have in the back of my Eurosport has the best epoxy on the market holding the magnets in the can. Ironically, the $225.00 motor is 2 tenths faster.

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

JB Weld

It's as simple as reading the the instructions on the packaging for JB Weld....

Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500 F.

Your average soldering iron which you use to solder in and remove your motors with will easily exceed 500F. While your top of the line soldering irons reaching 1100F.

It might hold after a few motor changes but the magnets will fall out just because JB weld does not hold up well under heat. And the manufacturer tells you that right on their packaging.
    Owl Chump

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    IF it is worth doing... It is worth overdoing.

But in all honesty- I do sleep better at night knowing that the $450.00 motor I have in the back of my Eurosport has the best epoxy on the market holding the magnets in the can. Ironically, the $225.00 motor is 2 tenths faster.

Bert
    Jason, did you say faster???
    Jay Herrod

...and faster is better.
    Asking all things relevant-