Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Gary,

I've been using Kesters 44 that I bought from Zepplin Hobbies years ago, I'm almost out of it too!! 24-6337-0061, which melts under 400.

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Edc,

Most of us use Staybrite 8 silver solder for our cobalt motors. it has a melting point of 430 degrees (very close to the 500 degree limit of JB Weld) as it has a 5x strength advantage over 60/40.
    Gary, keep in mind that the "most of us" is mostly racers in Seattle because Lee preaches the use of silver solder. Racers in other areas may not be such disciples of the Church of the Mother of Silver. Having learned so much from Lee, I continue to use silver solder on everything except leadwires when I use Radio Shack 60/40. But, I do recognize that guys in other areas who do not have the same influence prefer the 60/40 for everything. Hermanator says he prefers regular 60/40, and I think CRASH CODGER does too.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

60/40 is 7600 psi for tensile strength and that Stay Brite 8 is 14500? so it isn't even twice as strong, anyway.... like I said that 1lb spool is almost gone after I bought it in 92.... when it's done I'll graduate to your league and try that Stay Brite.... but I'll miss the lead!

OK kids, home from work and now time for FUN WITH MAGNETS.

Now, PLEASE tell me this is the way you're supposed to use the wedgies...

Untitled by svtgeorge, on Flickr

So, let's move on to the JB Weld experiment. In this fun experiment I have found a decent fairly new can and a set of Koford box stock magnets, and of course my JB Weld which is very useful for gluing bushings into endbells.

Let's mix the JB half and half

And, naturally before applying the glue, best to really clean the can and the mags with acetone, then apply a thin coat to both

Allrighty then, all set to put the mags into the can and use our favorite new tool, Mr. Wedgie.....but wait, I see a problem here....

Oh no!!! Gotta go back to the original "Wrong" way...which works too....

We'll let this cure for 24 hours, and tomorrow evening I'll hit it with Mr. Hakko and see how long it takes for the mags to let go

I hope they don't fall out as I've tossed so many cans with cracked magnets away!!!

Yes George that is how you are to use them, I like your way on the VIP can for all those with magnet retaining tabs though lol
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

I'll be darn George .... so that's what you mean by .. sideways?

Nice photos by the way.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

Wedges and Glue

Yes, George, that's how I use them too, on open-hole cans, but your method is an option for hole-challenged cans.

All I know about 'poxy:

All the cans I ever tried clear epoxies easily lost magnets
    All of the cans I ever JB-welded eventually lost the back magnet
    Marine-Tex works better than JB-Weld maybe but not perfect
    Cahoza 'poxy, same thing, it eventually weakens, magnet falls out.
    Koford 'poxy, never lost a mag yet.
    Skinner, never tried, kinda pricey for glue. But I will if Koford ever becomes unreliable

my original question of using an epoxy that didn't need heat to cure. The point of order of the topic was how did heat effect the magnets during the curing process for the skinner epoxy and that is the point I posed the question of using JB weld.
    I think Edc still has a valid question here or at least raises an interesting topic-

We all know that heat has an effect on magnets- correct? Should it be assumed then, that after the magnets have been "heat cycled" (whether in a toaster or a race) that they will come back to their "original" and maximum strength after zapping?

Since I have money invested in hones, I have not purchased a gauss meter- therefore I have never tested a set of magnets before baking vs after baking vs baking and re-zapping vs post race vs post race with a re-zap vs no bake JB weld?

I am not sure that it matters in scale racing as much as it might in wing car racing, because modern magnets (T5's) are often times are too strong to start with; such that baking the magnets with a "proper epoxy" could risk permanent and potential damage to the magnet?

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Skinner, never tried, kinda pricey for glue
    StupidFast Skinner's Epoxy $39.99 @ Mid America
    vs.
    Potentially
    30.00 Arm
    17.00 Mags
    20.00 Can
    18.00 Endbell
    20.00 Bearing
    5.00 Balance by Beuf
    15.00 Race Entry
    -100.00 for a great story of how you were leading the race, the magnet came loose and totally blew up the motor. "The car was, like, coming down the straight, you let off the "gas" just as the motor went, the sweet paint job (you spent the last two days on, even your wife said to you as you put the car into your box "Wow, honey you painted that?"), the new chassis (assembled with the finest solder know to mankind) went ka-blamo into the wall at the end of the straight. As the bent and smashed car lay helpless on the red lane, you try and scream "CAUTION RED!!!!" but alas that car on the red lane is already too deep into the corner and...

...Skinner glue, its like money in the bank.

Jasn

You can "purchase Skinner Epoxy at your local raceway, it's the" only epoxy to use IMHO.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 06-14-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Do not endorse one vender over another, support your raceway
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Hey Jason.....

Boy... that experience of you wrote sound eerily familar to me ..... except the part about leading the race. Have you raced with me here in the Mid-Atlantic area?

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    StupidFast Skinner's Epoxy $39.99 @ Mid America
    vs.
    Potentially
    30.00 Arm
    17.00 Mags
    20.00 Can
    18.00 Endbell
    20.00 Bearing
    5.00 Balance by Beuf
    15.00 Race Entry
    -100.00 for a great story of how you were leading the race, the magnet came loose and totally blew up the motor. "The car was, like, coming down the straight, you let off the "gas" just as the motor went, the sweet paint job (you spent the last two days on, even your wife said to you as you put the car into your box "Wow, honey you painted that?"), the new chassis (assembled with the finest solder know to mankind) went ka-blamo into the wall at the end of the straight. As the bent and smashed car lay helpless on the red lane, you try and scream "CAUTION RED!!!!" but alas that car on the red lane is already too deep into the corner and...

...Skinner glue, its like money in the bank.

Jasn
    With copy writing skills like that you are wasting your time selling windows
    Alan Ingram

With copy writing skills like that you are wasting your time selling windows
    You are too kind!

I have a whole speech on re-using lane stickers too!

Jasn

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    You are too kind!

I have a whole speech on re-using lane stickers too!

Jasn
    Haaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaa I am rolling on the floor reading the failed magnet glue scenario!!! Please post the recycled lane sticker scenario, I need more!! You wouldn't be talking about Ron Southern, would you?