Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Some people build bomb shelters in their back yard too!!
    All kidding aside, if the Koford stuff had ever let me down, I'd switch ASAP. Must have something to do with never having experienced that scenario. At least not leading a race or having a great paint job!!!

Please please please we must have the lane sticker story. We in Europe need to know what happened. This magnet glue thread is the best ever. Tears in the eyes. Me I use double sided Scotch tape to put my magnets in!

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Please please please we must have the lane sticker story. We in Europe need to know what happened. This magnet glue thread is the best ever. Tears in the eyes. Me I use double sided Scotch tape to put my magnets in!
    Pat, don't you first activate the glue on the tape with a few drops of Macallan's scotch?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

hmmmmmm! variable air gap by using double sided tape. when motor is cold the air gap is normal but once the glue and tape heat up they expand and make a tighter air gap. We must use skinner so the tape holds the magnets in place.

Hey Guys
    Les wright told me a LONG time age that they held the cobalt mags in with the high heat orange siliocone before they discovered good epoxy. Camen used a 2 part 3M epoxy that was pretrty good stuff, when Koford released the black stuff, everything else was obsolete overnight. The skinner glue is great , but I have had to throw the can away as well because the stuff was too good even after laying on it with a soldering iron. If you add it all up , the Skinner glue is probaly the best out there when you add it all up on paper like the earlier post.
    Ron T

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Pat, don't you first activate the glue on the tape with a few drops of Macallan's scotch?
    No I put the whisky on my tires, 20 year old malt is particularly effective as it lasts longer. 10yr Macallmans is used for qualifiying.

Interesting race tip from Recek at recent Malmo wam up race. First you build a 24 europsort chassis from start to finished article in circa 30 minutes then take 3 swigs of beer from can next to soldering iron, then go up and qualify your F1. Best results are acheived by starting drinking beer as soon as you arrive at the track at 6:30am!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topkat View Post
    hmmmmmm! variable air gap by using double sided tape. when motor is cold the air gap is normal but once the glue and tape heat up they expand and make a tighter air gap. We must use skinner so the tape holds the magnets in place.
    Oh boy, forgot to mention this one is around tire glue way too much.

So tell us about Ron and the lane stickers, please......

Please post the recycled lane sticker scenario
    Wowza! I wish all of my fans could have told my english instructors how much of a wordsmith I can pretend to be!

Lesson 2 - Always use NEW lane stickers

I am not sure where the cheapest place to buy lane stickers is, but at my local raceway, John, the owner sells them for .25 cents +tax. For all of my fans on the other side of the pond that equates to .16 pence. Pence is the correct denomination, correct? Bear with me, all of my proper English skills have been learned from Top Gear (no not the stupid American version, sorry Tanner) and when i can not sleep, I also gather a few delightful phrases from the likes of Gordon Ramsey (according to my next door neighbor who IS English these shows are tantamount to Jerry Springer and Judge Judy).

Back to the math - If you really would like to break it down thats is .03125 cents per sticker/lane. Buy new stickers! I realize we have fallen on tougher economic times, but there are worse and less productive ways to spend your money- I assure you. And the whole "going green thing" is not an excuse either.

I am not sure if everybody knows this, but I often travel nearly the same distance as you would, when going from Southampton to Manchester- roughly 230 miles, just to race slot cars. This being said the rest of the math lays out quite easily-

NEW Set of Lane Stickers - .25 cents plus tax
    vs.
    $275.00 Horky chassis
    $450.00 Eurosport Motor
    $35.00 Axle Bearings
    $.50 cents Lead Wire <------New stuff every race, I use to old stuff for my backyard bomb shelter
    $50.00 Body, guide, 3/32 axle, gears...
    $62.35 Fuel for the "real car" <---- round trip- The Jetta with 234,924 miles does not get the same MPG/MPL that she used to get
    $47.85 Motel 6 Weekend rate
    $225.00 for other things at the track I can not seem to live without

... the very alert race director overhears the "whispers" of what might be a track call, but decides that the de-slot does not meet the ever changing criteria for a stoppage. The corner marshall casually looks down at the car, now laying motionless in front of him and notices that the Eurosport is in remarkably good condition, especially for this point of the race - only one lane, and a few seconds to go! Sure there are a couple of small creases here and there, but all in all, great shape- the body looks so good the turn marshall can almost see his reflection in the Lexan. "Man, I am a great looking guy" he says to himself. The turn marshall quickly snaps back to reality as the driver of the now lifeless vehicle quips something in regards to the "awesomeness" of the situation. The turn marshall looks down at the myriad of stickers piled one on top of another, seemly flaunting in the face of lady luck that they are still attached to the "shell". "Marshall, just put it down..." he hears, so without any further delay and with great haste, the marshall replaces the car back to its "seemly" correct lane. BLACK, just like the sticker.

What the marshall did not realize, was that just a moment before, a recycled YELLOW sticker, expertly placed on top of the BLACK sticker... just like last race, had lost its purchase. You see- each time you reuse a sticker, the adhesive properties of the "glue" decrease- Some people get away with it, never loosing a lane sticker in an entire racing carer! Others... well take for instance our unlucky driver on the YELLOW lane- He gets to stand back and watch as his car goes breath taking fast, and full punch (is there any other way) into the aptly named "Deadman" from the BLACK lane... You want to know the real pisser about it, his buddy offered him a new sheet of lane stickers about 36 minutes before this incident happened- The reason he sited was that he had some stickers already, they "only have one race on them..."

Jasn
    Asking all things relevant-

You forgot about the $12 pair of tires, expertly trued to the perfect size, just prior to the race, that wound up with a bent hub.
    Michael Colvin

And the broken axle and broken magnets from not using Skinners and hitting the wall backwards shearing the gear side of the axle off and taking out the new axle bearing in the process!
    Gary Johnson

Oh boy, this is getting really gruesome

Not only is it bad to recycle stickers... but STACKING them is an accident waiting to happen!

In the unlucky event that a sticker does come off - I would MUCH rather have the marshal hold up the now stickerless car asking "what lane???" then to put it in the WRONG LANE as a result of the now prominently displayed previous sticker... resulting in much or all of the damages described in the previous posts.

With my ever-aging memory lapses, and increasingly limited attention span, I adopted a rather religious routine of lane changing, carefully choreographed to avoid calamitous carnage.

Besides the possible pretense of prematurely parting due to recycled or stacked stickers... I have also been the frequent victim of an affliction we racers frequently refer to simply as "BRAIN FADE". In this case, the symptoms are exhibited by merely sticking the WRONG sticker on the car, in the hasty hustle of the lane rotation.

To help avoid this - I would remove the previous lane sticker, then carefully flip over the sticker sheet and affix the used sticker to the BACK SIDE of the sticker sheet, in the same relative location where it lived on the front side. This routine tended to give me an added double check in assuring that I could remember what lane was next, and what lane I had just been in. I was really quite anal about this practice - but I do feel that the habit saved me on several occasions.

The down side is... that I gradually became so dependent upon this carefully crafted crutch, that if I was distracted by anything that broke my routine, I would often blank out, and forget what lane I was going to. This would occur if someone (usually a marshal, a friend, or the always helpful Cody) decided to "help" me by removing my old sticker for me, and hand me my car. Although the intentions were always good, it occasionally threw a monkey wrench in my little system.

Of course... then there's always the old "hooking up the controller wrong" - yet another predominant symptom of the affliction of BRAIN FADE.

But then that's a whole 'nuther topic...

Man I miss racing!!!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Of course... then there's always the old "hooking up the controller wrong" - yet another predominant symptom of the affliction of BRAIN FADE.
    And that is why when I hear the 10 second beep from SRT I look down and double check my connections. I hate to tell you how many times I have actually found my controller not connected at all. Very rarely do I have them connected wrong... Go figure!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    The turn marshall quickly snaps back to reality as the driver of the now lifeless vehicle quips something in regards to the "awesomeness" of the situation.
    Jasn
    That's the best and or a wrap!
    that's a wrap!