Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Those are such great phrases, I could not at least put one of them in there! They ARE the best!

NOTE: Mr. C does NOT recycle lane stickers-
    Asking all things relevant-

Putting slot stuff in the car, heading out in about half an hour. Having coffee right now and watching beginning of Lemans. Looks like Toyota may be competitive. Anyway, heading up to pick up Hermanator and then continue to Rocklin for a Bulldog 3 building session with Colvins.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

off topic but thirst four places are hybrid cars!!!1 (1,2 Audi and 3,4 Toyota) who thought that 10 years ago :-) Toyota only 1 minute behind...
    on topic whish we had building sessions here.... You guys are lucky ;-)
    Mini Racing Team Uden
    http://www.mrtu.nl/

I just saw a Toyota do a seagull imitation after getting hammered by a blind Italian.

Hermanator and I got up to Fast Track Hobbies right at 10:00am and the Colvins were already set up and at work at the pits next to the flat track. It turned out to be a really fun day, I took Mike through building the Bulldog 3 step by step, so he is now planning to buy another chassis and build it on his own with the knowledge he gained. The building directions on Mack's instruction sheets are concise and work the best, we just followed those steps. I got three Bulldogs built up also during the day. Our plan was to build the motor for the car also, but we ran out of time, so I took the motor components home and will build it today. We have a GT12 race this coming Saturday at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif and perhaps Colvins can make it down for that.

We spent the whole day inside an air conditioned facility, but when we left at 4pm it was like walking into an oven....106* day in the Sacramento Valley!!!

Shameless plug.... after having lane stickers fall off I worked with my sticker guy. Mid America stickers don't fall off & work great....... unless you try to use them over & over
    Why do I do this to myself?

Yes, we had a blast! I just wish I'd had yours or Herman's cell numbers, I could have caught you before you got too far away without Herman's box!

It's amazing how easy building something like that is when someone that knows what they're doing is helping! Made it seem easy. We'll see when I try it on my own. :-)

Seriously though, it was great having you there to answer questions as they came up and share your experience. It was also much faster than reading all the pages on here. :-P

We'll probably see you at Frank's next week.... Especially if it's going to be cooler there than here! Man, it's 100+ again today!
    Michael Colvin

Finished up a brand new GT12 car with a Bulldog 3 chassis, Cahoza UL Prod set up (magnets Skinner epoxy of course) .560" airgap, Pro Slot 45* X12 arm .540" diameter, Starfighter body mounted as low as possible, Cahoza guide, Hermanator tires (naturally). Speaking of Skinner, I forgot to report on the findings of my JB Weld test. They held up 5-7 seconds longer than the epoxy Cahoza uses on their production set up, I got the first one to drop in 17 seconds and the other side went in 15 seconds. OK, done with that experiment.

Took the Gugu Special apart last night, it's axle bearings were shot and we know why we should change them often (refer to Nats....arrrrrgh). I installed a fresh set of Slot Fox bearings. I need to glue up some of the new Vitula spurs on the axles Miroslav sent me. He packaged the shipment so artistically, I just haven't been able to do anything with it yet. But, now it's time to start removing the gears and axles and gluing them. I tried some Red Fox 45T glued on Koford axles with the UHU 300 and they really hold well. After letting them cure, I put those on the Unimat and turn the hubs down to about .093" in diameter.

Sending a few motors to Owl for reconditioning. That's about it. The Flats coming up sooner than later.

Here's a picture from the day of the "Bulldog Build" with Mr. Slot Car Racer himself.

Featured in the picture, from left to right are, John Wilbur, Herman James, Dwight Adamson (The Owner of Fast Track Hobbies), Todd Radke, Justin Colvin and George Russell himself.

More info here for Facebook users.
    Last edited by MikeC; 06-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Michael Colvin

Nice photo Mike! That was a super fun day, and I hope we can continue the project this Saturday at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif, site of the 2006, 2008 and 2012 USRA Scale Nats and site of the upcoming GT12 Challenge in just a few days. For those of you who do not know Todd Radke, he is the man who originally brought the Falcon motors to you through his expertise in dealing with Asian companies. Todd is into some kind of electronics business and I always thought he did OK in that business. Todd has posted many times on OWH and we owe him a lot for this major contribution to slot car racing even though every time I see one I want to grab my Mr. Dremel and attack it.

The Flat Track Worlds is coming up really quickly, so last night I started organizing tires for the race. Started out by collecting all the worn out tires, throwing them into the vat of lacquer thinner, and removing the old rubber after a few hours of soaking. Tonight I'll put on my dust mask and start refurbing the hubs to get them ready for gluing.

Got a lot done last night while yakking on the phone with CRASH CODGER. He was at Hobbytown checking in some parts orders, then he clocked out and went into the track room to test the Mack 1/24 JRL Indycar versus the HNR. He had Falcon 7s in each car, the Red Fox Indycar body on the Mack and the Formula One body on the HNR. Tested on the Hillclimb. The track was really dusty and the first few laps were low 5.2s instead of a 4.1. But gradually over a number of tire cleanings he got both cars down to high 4.3s and found not much difference between the two. That's on the Hillclimb of course, so next he needs to test them on the flat track.

During all this yakking and testing, I mounted a Red Fox Peugeot on my Seattle LMP car for testing on Saturday at Slot Car Raceway. CRASH suggested it as he had found it was the best body down in Fresno for the same mini motor flexi class. I'll give it a whirl.

After that body mount, I installed a motor in the Gugu Special 1/24 ES. This time a Voki 18 mag set up with Pro Slot 22t24.5 arm....pretty mild compared to the stuff we've been playing around with lately. Once the motor was in place and rear axle and new tires installed, it was time to mount a brand new Audi R10 Long Version (per Seattle rules). Got the body pinned by bedtime, now ready for Ninja Starlesses and final body mounting.

George,

Make sure you also bring a painted JK BMW V12 for LMP. In Lee and my testing we have found it to be the best body on the Twister.

Sounds like you guys had a fun day building last weekend! I wish I could have joined you
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

Make sure you also bring a painted JK BMW V12 for LMP. In Lee and my testing we have found it to be the best body on the Twister.

Sounds like you guys had a fun day building last weekend! I wish I could have joined you
    Thanks GearBear, I have three BMWs painted and mounted and tested at Frank's. Turned 4.41 on orange on the Testarossa. I'm going up on Saturday to try the Peugeot. I agree with you, it is hard to beat the BMW. For being such a simple square box, it always seems to be the best. I'm trying out the Peugeot cuz CRASH said it was the best body down in Fresno. It's worth a whirl! Besides, this has a lot to do with all those left over GT12 bodies from the Nats!!!! I'll post test results after Saturday.

The Seattle Slugfest is this weekend at Pacific Slotcar Raceways in Edgewood. We're racing both Scale cars and Wing cars. Last Sunday I finished putting a new P/S arm in my G27L motor and put the motor in the car for this weekend. I will be painting up a new Eurosport body tonight (I hope) for this weekend also. Then I need to repair my BD1 and get a new body mounted on each of my GT12's for this weekend. I'll run the one with the best motor in it as it seems there is very little difference in performance on the Twister between my BD1, BD2, and PMP.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    The Seattle Slugfest is this weekend at Pacific Slotcar Raceways in Edgewood. We're racing both Scale cars and Wing cars. Last Sunday I finished putting a new P/S arm in my G27L motor and put the motor in the car for this weekend. I will be painting up a new Eurosport body tonight (I hope) for this weekend also. Then I need to repair my BD1 and get a new body mounted on each of my GT12's for this weekend. I'll run the one with the best motor in it as it seems there is very little difference in performance on the Twister between my BD1, BD2, and PMP.
    GearBear, I am excited to see how you do at the Slugfest, go get em! Looks like you don't have a BD3 yet? There's such a big difference between the BD1/2 and the BD3, you should pick up a kit and go through the very easy assembly process. Snap off the parts and they fit together with no complaints. It's a much different chassis. There's my recommendation of the day.....How are the eurosports doing? Have you been running a Horky or the Mack you won The Flats with two years ago?

The Flat Track Worlds is so close now, I'll be up there in less than three weeks.

Tomorrow will be further shake down for the upcoming event. Tomorrow evening is a GT12 race at SCR on the Testarossa, NORCAL rules....pretty close to PNW/AMCA rules except no shunts on the motors. Jammin' Justin will run his new GT12 for the first time tomorrow night, we've been working hard on it. I'll also compare that ugly Peugeot with the boxy BMW tomorrow, we're also running that class. And, if I have time, I'll throw the NASCAR back together for Moonlite Madness. Hermanator will be there. All this while Sears Point Raceway (which some people call "Infineon" for some reason) will be getting ready for the NASCAR race on Sunday. I have my DVR set up for qualifying today. Sure would be nice to drive up there today to watch, but right now at "work".