Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

OK technical people of the slotcar racing world, here is a mundane but annoying problem....guide threads. I have an old Pro Slot guide threading tool left over from previous track owner days, it was one of the earliest guide threaders. Nowadays, the guide nuts do not match the threads on the guide after I use my old threading tool. My old Pro Slot one looks much like the current JK Products one, like this:

JK3040-120x120

Getting the guide nut on the guide is a nightmare. I would think ideally you would thread the guide, then just screw on the guide nut. I have to go through a whole complicated procedure to get the job done. Technical types: what is the thread size/type on guide nuts? And on guide threaders? I generally use the Koford lightened guide nuts.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I have the same issue with that threader. I have two of them. I thought it was just me cross threading the nuts on. I started to use the nylon guide nuts and that helped the problem, but there are time I would like to use a thinner metal nut. I bought a BackTrack Guide Threading and Sanding tool from Roger at Mid America. Great item! I have had few problems since, other than snapping of one guide post in the threader. The tooling seems to be more accurate that the others.

On a recent visit to Chicago we were talking about the same issue. Roger "beveled" the top of a giude post before he cut the threads and this seemed to allow the nut to seat properly on the newly cut threads. Just my 2 cents...

For the guide threaders, I have found the thread size on my JK piece to be 10-32 N.F. USA. I'm not sure on the guide nut thread size but I would imagine it's about the same and if not it could be threaded to match and make the threading job easier? I've also found that a drop or two of bushing oil makes the job easier.

Backtrack Guide Tool

I believe the guide is one of the most underappreciated parts of our race cars. After-all it spends more time on the track than the tires do, more than any other item on the car.

The solution? Quite simple. The Backtrack guide blueprinting tool. Not only does it cut threads properly for parallel installation of the guide nut with the deck of the guide (where the stem attaches), it also has a slot cut with sandpaper to smooth out the always uneven bottom of the guide. Additionally it has a decking tool on the backside of the threader that ensures accurate even surfaces. The decking sandpaper is likes to wander off and get lost in the slot car abyss so thankfully they come with a spare. So it slices, it dices, it is everything AND a bag of chips. A drop of oil will aid in the precise thread cutting and help to prevent broken stems in the tool.

Personally I feel the guide is like the leadwire, not fun to lose a race over a worn out $1.40 item so whenever I replace my lead wire (3 races maximum) I also replace the guide. The nuts I reuse pretty much forever although I do spend a bit of time cleaning the bottom surface and then shining it up with some 1000 grit sandpaper. The last item on my list is the excess material from the threads - make sure there is none left as it will always find a way to work itself between the guide spacers and cause the guide to bind, this usually happens when you're winning the race and the only time you came off (through the fault of a turn marshall of course) and the guide gets stuck to one side further raising your blood pressure while said turn marshall turns your car over after the third attempt at reslotting it only to watch your competition lap you 14 times.

Take care of your guide and it will take care of you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTGUIDE-250x250..jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	11161
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Really? Every 3 races on guide and leadwire? Is that a wing car thing or scale and retro as well?

I too have an old guide threader like the one George mentioned (mine is a purple Camen). About 2 weeks before the Nats I finally broke down and bought a Backtrack threader. Before I used to have to thread the guide with the old Camen threader and then follow up the threads with the Magnahone guide tool. Now, it is a simple threading job only. And I have yet to have an issue with a guide nut being too tight since. Very nice tool! But do take a pair of dikes and score the handle in the center so it doesn't come off so easily! I did that 5 minutes after starting to use it as I had dropped the handle several times by that point.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by jradford View Post
    The solution? Quite simple. The Backtrack guide blueprinting tool. Not only does it cut threads properly for parallel installation of the guide nut with the deck of the guide (where the stem attaches), it also has a slot cut with sandpaper to smooth out the always uneven bottom of the guide. Additionally it has a decking tool on the backside of the threader that ensures accurate even surfaces. The decking sandpaper is likes to wander off and get lost in the slot car abyss so thankfully they come with a spare. So it slices, it dices, it is everything AND a bag of chips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTGUIDE-250x250..jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	11161
    What chips do you get? Personally I prefer Doritos, do you include those? Or is it those complicated chips you plug into the Czech controller?

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    I too have an old guide threader like the one George mentioned (mine is a purple Camen). About 2 weeks before the Nats I finally broke down and bought a Backtrack threader. Before I used to have to thread the guide with the old Camen threader and then follow up the threads with the Magnahone guide tool. Now, it is a simple threading job only. And I have yet to have an issue with a guide nut being too tight since. Very nice tool! But do take a pair of dikes and score the handle in the center so it doesn't come off so easily! I did that 5 minutes after starting to use it as I had dropped the handle several times by that point.
    I think I'll take a guide nut down to the hardware store and find the screw that fits it. I need to get to the bottom of this conspiracy. The Backtrack tool looks like the solution as long as Jim carries Doritos with it.

The guides/ guide nuts are 10/32 thread. While you are down at the hardware store pick up some of the nylon 10/32 nuts. They work great for guide nuts. You can also pick up the brass ones and then reshape them on your Unimat like Lee does. But I have found I actually like the Nylon ones with no modifications.
    Gary Johnson

GearBear, do you think the thread die on our old guide threaders (your Camen and my Pro Slot) is not 10-32? Something is not matching. I'll give those nylon nuts a try.

You can also get the Nylon Nuts in Bulk for a nice price at FRY's
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

George,

I think the metal they used for the die is too soft and they simply wore out.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Really? Every 3 races on guide and leadwire? Is that a wing car thing or scale and retro as well?
    Its on all classes I race. The wire portion of the lead wires where the track is doing everything it can to break the wire which is hidden by the jacket, so short of some very high tech equipment its impossible to fully know how much the lead wire has been weakened. With some guides most notably the JK the application of heat while soldering or resoldering the wires tends to make the material brittle (have you ever had a guide split on the side of the guide parallel with where the clip goes?). My current guide of choice is the Cahoza #27 nylon guide although I've had success with the #28 graphite guide as well. They seem to take much more abuse than other brands I've tried. The way I figure it I'm running a $14 pair of tires per race, $2.50 divided by 3 races isn't breaking the bank and it allows me to go into my zen state during a race not worrying about equipment.
    Jim Radford
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I think I'll take a guide nut down to the hardware store and find the screw that fits it. I need to get to the bottom of this conspiracy. The Backtrack tool looks like the solution as long as Jim carries Doritos with it.
    Do you prefer cool ranch or nacho cheese?
    Jim Radford
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039

FYI George, I too have the Backtrack guide tool and love it (Got it from Mid-America...Dwight seemed to have an issue getting one...). I'll have it tomorrow at Frank's if you want to check it out. Last time I was at Frank's, he had one, but not sure he had one for sale...I think Frank's was where I first saw one... Had to have one once I saw it. :-)
    Michael Colvin