Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I saw in the race results, that while Herman took 4th place with your GT-12 car... there were 3 cars on the same lap for 2nd through 4th!

In fact, they were all three just 3 laps behind CRASH, who took the win (the old Codger still has it) - and the top 5 were within 4 laps! Sounds like good & close racing!

So... especially considering that Herman dropped 6 laps to Fred in the first heat (no idea why - a bad crash or something broke? or just traffic?), he managed to catch up to within 3 laps of taking the win. I'd have to say that your car was probably a pretty good ride!

Glad to hear you're back to vertical. The B vitamins really help - but most of all SLEEP.

Get well quick - we look forward to your updates when you're back at the bench...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I reckon it was the Scotch that sorted him out!!!

Me sarcastic?????

What a 'orrible thing to suggest

Zippity you are not sarcastic, you are Zippity.

And Macallan single malt scotch is a fine medicine indeed. For those who don't know the story, Pat Skene, esteemed editor of the finest hard copy slot publication in the world, handed me a bottle of Macallan at the Worlds. Thank you so much Pat for the generous gift and for coming all the way to Chicago to race slotcars. The Journal of the British Slotcar Racing Association edition for The Worlds was a great read, best race write up I've ever laid eyes on.

Also, it was great that Jason Hooper pasted in that link to the NORCAL website. If you haven't checked it out yet, do go there and see how nicely the results are posted. Really nice layout. CRASH told me they had 107 total entries for last Saturday and if I had been there woulda been 111. That's a lot of cars to run in a day. NORCAL does not qualify, they run gigantic double round robin races (out on white AND purple....back in on red AND black) with all skill levels running simultaneously. Makes for "interesting" racing....I'm gonna go drink another glass of water....

Finished my first 6 pair of tires last night, 3 sets on .430" hubs and the rest on .400" hubs. Started to get it down pretty good by the end. Left a nice "little" mess in and around the kitchen, the wife was thrilled. Once they were all cut I gave them a quick wash in warm water to get all the gunk out of the hubs. Dried them with a napkin and into labeled tubes they went. 6 sets cut down to .660" and ready to roll for the race on the 19th. Should make for a great day of racing.

You washed them in hot water????

Why?

Now now there Zip, best to let Weedhopper learn in his own way. Rocky, glad to hear you made your first batch of tires, you sound very happy. Your cleaning method is innovative. Let me share with you how I clean up the inside of the hub. I take a 1/2" wide strip of medium Scotchbrite abrasive pad and stick it inside the hub after I have finished the tire completely....it's my last step. I then take a can of Office Depot canned air and blast it out. Just an alternative way of cleaning, thought you might like to know....

I use the tip of an old axle or a piece of thick piano wire. I just "rub" it inside the spinning hub while it is still attached to the Hudy

I don't think water would be a good idea.

Going back to my two semesters of chemistry I can't recall any adverse reaction magnesium would have when exposed to water. I suppose an argument could be made that the water could somehow affect the chemical bond between the hub and the rubber. Then again the adhesive I'm using is also used in situations where water exposure is very common. Giving these tires a quick rinse in warm water seems pretty tame vs. soaking them in lacquer thinner to remove old rubber. If they hold up next week I will be forced to throw the BS flag on this one.

Fair comment, I guess

I've never heard of anyone using water before in the manner you suggest. Maybe it is thinking outside the squre
    Last edited by Zippity; 03-08-2011 at 06:18 PM.

I am not sure if this is helpful or not but I made an interesting discovery last night- Upon returning from the Modesto race, which required, much to my extreme pleasure, chaining up my Jetta, at 2:00am, in shorts and a t-shirt, in an unexpected snow storm, on three hours of sleep and at this point a 22.5 hour day, I noticed that my slot car desk was dusty when I got home. I took out some Pledge and wiped down my "pit area". The next day, I have about 14 pair of .900 wide euro sport hubs that I was going to machine down to .810- This lead me to also turn down a small batch of previously mounted tyres to make room on the tyre rack- "So what!" You are all saying- well it turns out that when I wiped down my desk with Pledge and then promptly coated the desk in a fine mist of fresh Alpha rubber, the Pledge acted like a lubricant and an adhesive at the same time- thereby allowing me to wipe the desk one time with a paper towel and taahhh daahhh a perfectly clean desk! Normally it takes about 10 minutes to whisk away all of the tyre dust!
    And remember- don't tell your wife WHY you are doing it (chances are she does not care anyway) just tell her that you are doing your part to help with some of the "house work"
    Asking all things relevant-

Solid idea with the Pledge. I did my truing on the black granite counter top and it's impossible to see how much tire dust is left. I broke down and just vacuumed it by the end. That got most of it but you can still feel some when you run your hand over the top.

And you are still alive? ie She Who Must Be Obeyed hasn't clicked on to what you were doing on her bench?

Sheesh, my wife would kill me if I tried to pull that stunt

I somehow managed to marry the only Italian girl in the world that doesn't cook. Being in the condo the kitchen island transforms from time to time in to my workbench. Proper clean up is the key, just like a good crime scene.

Reaper
    I don't have the worries you do when cutting tires did 12 sets 2 weeks ago and used compress air in my basement shop to clean them up then just shop vac up mess . counter top work you may want to get yourself a box and do the cuting in that. lay it on its side and the mess is mostly contained
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com