Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Just my 2 cent worth .
    I have a GT1 flag threader and have no problems . first I oil the flag post then start the threading I cut a full turn then back off a 1/4 to half turn this step allows the cuts to break off Then repeat until done .This is how we did all threading back in the day when I was an apprentice tool & die maker.
    Mic, how old is your GT1 threader? My old Pro Slot is from 1996 or so and I think what happened to it is there's a three prong thread starter on it and over the years those prongs have bent outward slowly. So, it still cuts a 10-32 thread, but the threads are too shallow to get the nut started. I threaded a new Cahoza guide last night and again followed the Pro Slot with the Irwin die, the nut threaded on really easily.

I've seen that GT1 threader. If you add those 2 cents to it, would you then have a GT12 guide threader?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quite a productive night of building last night. Besides threading a new Cahoza guide, I rebuilt both GT12 motors from Saturday night and added shunts in preparation for battle in Seattle. "Man the Shunts!!!! Ahoy!!!! Arrrr arrrr arrrrr"

Also got a Super 16C arm back from Beuf, this one a ginormous .550" diameter. I loaded that into the set up I ran at the Nats, a Cahoza UL can, Koford .500" long mags with .560" hole. Put new Golddust brushes on it and broke it in. Of course, really nice balance, couldn't tell the motor was running. I put a 7T pinion on it for starters and put it in my GTP car. Also raised the axle a bit on the GTP (Seattle Group 10) so it techs with 42T angle spur. I am now kind of concerned about using 40T spurs in terms of durability.

Also tore down the GT12 from Saturday, straightened all the pans, resoldered all the joints, cleaned it up and made sure there was only a single .005" teflon guide spacer this time! The biggest change I made to this chassis was adding the pan weights and the front weights. Put the motor from Saturday back in it, this time "Man the Shunts!!!" and will try it out on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Mic, how old is your GT1 threader? My old Pro Slot is from 1996 or so and I think what happened to it is there's a three prong thread starter on it and over the years those prongs have bent outward slowly. So, it still cuts a 10-32 thread, but the threads are too shallow to get the nut started. I threaded a new Cahoza guide last night and again followed the Pro Slot with the Irwin die, the nut threaded on really easily.

I've seen that GT1 threader. If you add those 2 cents to it, would you then have a GT12 guide threader?
    SCR
    My threaders 5 years old so yours has some years on mine. The threading Technic I use is as much for the tool as it is for the flag it helps keep the teeth clean and sharp but some times they just need to be retired.
    That makes 4 cent so it could be gt14 now LOL
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    That makes 4 cent so it could be gt14 now LOL
    OK Mr. 4 cents, I'll raise you 11 cents and make it an X25 chassis!

OK Mr. 4 cents, I'll raise you 11 cents and make it an X25 chassis!
    Another quarter and you'd have "50 Cent".... but then it would probably just crash.

(I got a kick out of this comment by "MANOFPRINCIPLE" posted under the article linked above:

"Holla for half dolla with a colla...50 cents just became loose change.")
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 06-27-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Just got a bunch of brand new magnesium wheels. Have plenty of Proformance donuts, so we all know what that means....glue.....lacquer thinner.....tire truer.....rubber dust......ugh. It's something I procrastinate about, but it's now time to get on it. I'm real happy to get new 1/32 ES wheels, I've been using old Speedshop hubs from as long ago as 2006! Those magnesium hubs are fantastic and they last so long.

Heading up to SCR for another run in the Hawk LMP class. Motor got knocked out last week because I was going too fast....speeding penalty....that was OK, I'll be back tomorrow but will avoid any speeding penalties.

Mail just came in, got a box from Seattle, must be something I need to work on....
    DSCN4698

At least they sent proper payment for your services.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Mail just came in, got a box from Seattle, must be something I need to work on....
    DSCN4698
    It was almost as cheap as packing peanuts to fill the extra space in the box! Enjoy
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

"Cool Ranch" Radford delivers again!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

I just got a box from Jim but no cool ranch Doritos in mine
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Guys, I'm telling you, Jim is the best. I had Doritos while unpacking the box. Nothing like Doritos with a sprinkling of Golddust brush dust, oil and tire dust. Yum

I've brought the tires to work today, at lunch I'll be drilling set screw holes, removing the short axles, then wacking the ends off the donuts. The new Radford Rubbers are about 1.400" wide so there is basically a drag tire left over. Should create a wonderful mess in the parking lot. Might have to put on a sweater, the fog is making it pretty cold today. I saw that SF was only getting up to 62 degrees today.

I've brought the tires to work today, at lunch I'll be drilling set screw holes, removing the short axles, then wacking the ends off the donuts. The new Radford Rubbers are about 1.400" wide so there is basically a drag tire left over. Should create a wonderful mess in the parking lot. Might have to put on a sweater, the fog is making it pretty cold today. I saw that SF was only getting up to 62 degrees today.
    Did you really just say "Radford Rubbers" That just ruined my whole day

Sweater ! We've got a bit of a cool down for the next couple of days... it will only be in the 90's.
    Alan Ingram

Come down to Victorville lol Its gonna be a brisk 90 degrees today
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?