Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    I appreciate that Gary. Thank you. There's just not enough time in my schedule this week to make it happen. I'll get to the euro stuff soon enough, then you wont be able to get rid of me. Good luck to you guys this week.
    It is a shame you can't make it Jay as the crew at PSCR would take very good care of you. In fact if you were able to sneak out for the weekend I'm pretty sure you would have extremely competitive cars made available to you in every class.
    Alan Ingram

Started the trip to Seattle by leaving my clear glasses in the car cup holder, so I checked in and went thru TSA in sunglasses somehow evading arrest. Wife had not brought her cell phone, so she didn't get my message until she got back home. Hermanator missed his 7:00 flight, so he was on stand y for my 8:45 flight. It was delayed until 10:05, so wife kindly drove back to Oakland with the glasses.

We've been at Jim's for a few days. Hermanator raced the piano wire cars Thursday as did Justin. Yesterday Justin got 3rd in NASCAR even with a gear change.

Today we start racing flexi cars on the Twister. More news at 11.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I talked to Jim R late Thursday night - he was still pretty pumped up after a full day of great racing!

Sounds like a good turnout, good close racing, and Jim had a nice come-from-behind win in the Retro F1 race!

He was planning to get the webcam set up for the weekend racing - but I know he has a full plate between running the shop, the races, and racing as well... so I will be pleasantly surprised if he does find time to get the webcam set up.

Hey Slotcar Racer - if your buddy FX didn't forget his cell phone (along with the glasses), and has time between thrashing & racing... tell him to Tweet something from the Flats!

The slotcargeorge Twitter feed is still here on the sidebar - so it would be great to see a Tweet or 2 or 3 if at all possible!

Have a great time and hope you have a great race!

Wish I was there!!!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Had a good run in Group 10 taking the win last night. There were 23 entries with Joey Lim setting a new record in quallie. GearBear 2nd qualifier and your's truly 3rd.

Not sure how Hermanator did, he was in the B main, but Justin got 7th overall. A very fine racer, Russell Bach, came in 2nd and not far behind in 3rd Bill Clemmons (C Main!)

Congrats on the win!!! No doubt you had to earn it!!!

Nice race for Russ Bach nabbing 2nd!!! Coming up from Oregon once or twice a year, that is very impressive!

Bill Clemans has been known to win or at least make the podium from the lower mains many times over the years. He just doesn't let a bad Qualifying time be an obstacle, and he's practically oblivious to traffic. He drives the C main just as if he's in the A main. If he's coming up to pass you - look out!

I look forward to seeing more race results and pics soon! Thanks for posting this!

Best of luck and good racing on Sunday!!!
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Had a good run in Group 10 taking the win last night. There were 23 entries with Joey Lim setting a new record in quallie. GearBear 2nd qualifier and your's truly 3rd.

Not sure how Hermanator did, he was in the B main, but Justin got 7th overall. A very fine racer, Russell Bach, came in 2nd and not far behind in 3rd Bill Clemmons (C Main!)
    Glad to hear Justin made it up there. He is going to be a force as he learns flat track racing.

I agree with PK, trying to make plans so as not to miss next year.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,
    Make sure you also bring a painted JK BMW V12 for LMP. In Lee and my testing we have found it to be the best body on the Twister.
    Now that I have a Hawk 7 in my NASCAR chassis, I think (?) I can change the body and
    run LMP (when time permits) to get some additional "seat time".

Can I?

I would love to do a car in BMW Motorsport or Gulf Racing livery.

BTW, when I took my car out of my pit box on Saturday I saw why it was undrivable
    in the last heat of Friday night - the guide had been bent down at about 10.
    The back end was so badly bent up that I just tried to straighten that, and
    never looked closely at the front.

I was right when I told Jim that I could take out the track wall and my motor
    would still never come unsoldered (it's the first time I soldered in a motor, and
    I over-did it).

Racing on Saturday at PSCR in Edgewood, WA site of the 2012 Flat Track Worlds, was a day for flexi racing. Started with LMP and a fairly decent Hawk 7 but not so good handling. I think I ended up in the top 8 somewhere, called it a great practice race.

Group 10 followed, basically same as USRA GTP class. Ran the same motor as at the Nats but this timed geared it with an 8T pinion (not a 7T like at the Nats!). Not the fastest qualifier, but up near the top, however good enough to win the race. Nice way to end a long day.

TQed 1/32 ES on Sunday morning, 4.0001. Jimmy Johnson Radford has the track record with a 3.9something. The car was awesome, I could cruise and weave through the field with ease. Then disaster on green...motor came unsoldered...but luckily at the end of the heat.

Went to my pit and tried to solder it back in but not a good job. Returned to blue, just made it in time, got to the end of the heat and it really fell out. A friend moved my troller to purple and I moved to the pit, slathered on a few gallons of acid flux and a pound or two of Radio Shack solder and just plastered the motor to the chassis. Kind of hot on my thumb. Got back in time but six laps behind the formidable Hermanator. Almost reeled him in on black and moved past him on the last heat winning by only one lap. Man that motor was hot when soldering back in!

GT12 was a write off, more dismal soldering as my non gear side bearing came unglued, more acid flux and Radio Shack, but lost almost a heat. Still got 8th after all that.

Then it was time for awesome barbecued iguanas and beans. Too hot to eat, so hooked up to white and tried out two eurosports. The Castricone had a super stout mill but was kind of tight with all the rubber built up on the track. The new Horky had a less strong motor...really good but not as good as the other. I switched motors between the two cars (good motor in the Horky) and ran a 3.19 on white in only a few laps, so I knew that was the race car.
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 07-17-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Repairs to iPhone typos.....airport write up

With the race car parked safely, I prepped two tire/gear changes and a set of qualifying tires. My qualifying run was towards the latter part of the quallie session. When my turn came up I started the car slow and smooth but deslotted a few times...went fast too soon....then settled into a rhythm with 30 seconds left. Then the times started to plummet through the 3.2s, then got into the 3.1s a few laps then hit 3.06 and maybe another 3.0 and then there was the hare lap....3.987 (I think), new track record, first sub 3 lap in quallie. Yikes!

Local racer Leomard Strand won the B Main with numerous verbal exchanges with fellow racer Ian Guay. Quite entertaining! I think about half the field finished.

The A Main was a 9 heat round robin. I chose to sit out the first heat, yet it was incredibly clean and fast. Came in on red and just cruised it to 78 laps. Green lane was fun with Jimmy Johnson Radford on orange. We pushed eachother and made a ton of laps, but towards the end of the heat I blinked and came off in the dreaded twisty bits, so he got me by almost a lap. The blue lane was a different story, the car lit up the after burners and just ripped. Then on black I stripped my first gear....again, really lucky at the end of a heat. Other majors players were Alicia Gilbert, fastest woman slot racer, the Hermanator with new Beuf power and the quiet but fast and effective Dan Sullivan. I think GearBear busted his chassis pretty early in the race. Got the new gear/tire set on with plenty of time and started working my way back towards white lane. Somewhere in the following few heats another gear broke. The mesh was correct meaning the motor was solidly soldered in (for a change). Gears were a bit delicate I think. Having run out of gear sets, I grabbed one more between heats as insurance but didn't need it. The last few heats were a bit hairy as Hermanator's car was launching in the main chute and the projectile put me on the floor twice. Kept going and just cruised the last heat with ten laps over Dan Sullivan who is one tough cookie. Won the ordeal with 636 laps, not too bad, and Dan with 627. The car was awesome. Thanks to Dave Harvey for the Voki 10 mag and Valiko alum comm 84-1/2 arm...stout machinery.

The results also doomed me to the Grand Champion award complete with a cream pie that ended up all over my face, glasses, hair and shirt but none in my stomach where it belonged.

After a shower we met at Shari's for some food....I think that's what it was.

Well, there's my "blow by blow" for the event!
    Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 07-17-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Repairs to iPhone typos.....airport write up

Congratulations, George!! All of that prep paid off!!

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    Great racing, George!

and it was also nice with meeting y'all at this Flats.
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Here's a picture of George enjoying his pie. :-)

2012-07-15_20-42-47&
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-15_20-42-47&.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	11222  

Last edited by Slotcar Racer; 07-17-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Michael Colvin