Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Watt View Post
    Great racing, George!

and it was also nice with meeting y'all at this Flats.
    Thanks Tom, you had an excellent weekend yourself. I cannot believe how fast that qualifying lap was on that little bullring out front! You got everything possible out of that sealed motor. Likewise, good meeting you too.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

George, You did an awesome job preparing and racing. As always I had a great time racing with you. I had a great time racing in general in-fact. The weekend is still a bit of a blur and I did my best catching up on sleep yesterday but it certainly doesn't feel like it was enough. Thanks again for making the trip up and racing with us.

From 2012 American Flat Track Worlds
    Jim Radford
    Pacific Slot Car Raceways
    http://www.shoppscr.com
    Visit us on Facebook
    (253) 446-5039
    Host site of the 2014 & 2016 DIV II USRA Nationals

Justin wants one of those pies next year. :-) We'll have to get him a Eurosport or two before that's likely!
    Michael Colvin

Seattle, Wa, Home of the Speed Crazed Morons
    I've been noted to pull some fast laps out of the hat in prior lives....

The record on that track was done by a driver not slowing before the counter causing the car to crash in the 1st turn. Not my usual style

I think that was the 4th race on that motor (have to count the "notches" in it), and I wish I'd had some of that "teflon shield" you had around your cars.

We'll do it again.....
    Tom Hansen

Our Gang Racing
    Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Keep on Keeping On

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Justin wants one of those pies next year. :-) We'll have to get him a Eurosport or two before that's likely!
    If he keeps improving like he has in the last few months... He could very well win the pie in the face next year! He did an awesome job this year and was always a contender on the track.
    Gary Johnson

2.986 !!! Congrats SCR for going under 3 seconds on the Twister, and especially all your race results!

Please go back to post #2096 and edit your ES 24 TQ and track record time that you listed at 3.987.

How often does a slot racer get to go back and take a second off their TQ time???

Best Regards,

dp

As soon as I saw George testing his cars at Flats I knew he was going to be the guy to beat. George was nothing short of fantastic. He really earned and deserved the amazing weekend.
    It was a pleasure racing with you again George.
    It was also great seeing everyone again. Wish I could have been better prepared, but it is what it is. Gotta be on your best game to be competitive in the Seattle area.
    Already looking forward to next years event.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

dp = Don Perko???

When are you going to dust off your controller & come play again???

Might be hard to shave a second off your World Record lap times of 1.814 at PCH in Ventura, or 1.759 at JK Rcwy in Chicago, both back in 1996... but I'll bet you could shave off at least a tenth or two, if you sharpened your razor!

Nice to see you still hanging around OWH & keeping tabs on us Speed Crazed Morons!

PK
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Took yesterday off to use up some of my five weeks of accumulated sick pay. I'll never use it up at this rate! Took the car over to Big O to have them fix the under inflated tire light on the dashboard. Turns out they just needed to press a button in the glove box to reset it. Got a new set of Michelin Hermanators on the Camry.

After walking the beagles, got to work on stripping rubber off hubs and pulling motors from cars. Got all the used up rubber off after a few hours of lacquer thinner soaking, then cleaned up the hubs with scotchbrite and put them away in ziploc bags for future retreading....not that I really need any more tires right now.

Pulled three eurosport motors including the ones that won the 1/32 and 1/24 eurosport races. That poor little 1/32 motor has a broken front bussbar and I have no idea how that could have happened, but apparently that race was just a major war. Won't be hard to replace, I'll just pick up some Cahoza hardware and some yellow snot to repair it. No hurry, of course, looks like next race won't be until next April...no major races until the Nats due to used up vacation time and lack of funds. Oh well, time to prepare for the next NORCAL season. OK, better get to "work" now...

SCR
    You will be missed at the Isra North American Championship this September. some of those sick days would work for off time Just build and sell some rollers everyone wants a George Russell Problem solved except the wife part LOL.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Got some reading in last night of the latest release of the British Slot Car Racing Assn journal. Pretty cool stuff, a good blow by blow of the Nats and race report on the ISRA race in Malmo....the Worlds Warm Up. Also some good photos of new F1 chassis from Brian Saunders and Richard Mack, plus some photos of Horky 1/32 ES chassis...."which one will they use at the Worlds?"

Along with some reading, it was time to clean and pickle my eurosport chassis from The Flats. Checked them on the aluminum block and will probably tear them down later, full disassembly for alignment checks. They looked pretty good though.

Also tore down a couple of motors for rebuilds. Mostly thinking ahead to 2012-13 NORCAL series, that will be my main emphasis until the Nats next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    You will be missed at the Isra North American Championship this September. some of those sick days would work for off time Just build and sell some rollers everyone wants a George Russell Problem solved except the wife part LOL.
    He can't hang around with the ISRA; he's an USRA guy. Besides, Philly, I imagine, was not that much fun for him...(He didn't like the Super 8; He had to race against Jerry. )

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Slippery View Post
    He can't hang around with the ISRA; he's an USRA guy. Besides, Philly, I imagine, was not that much fun for him...(He didn't like the Super 8; He had to race against Jerry. )
    Ol'Slippery
    Thought SCR was a slot car racer First Didn't know part of the swearing in to the USRA was swearing off all other Racing.The Jersey devil is a bit easier to learn then the Super 8 (may it rest in peace ) As for Jerry he will be at the USRA Nats also and I'm sure he will be trying to sweep there also.so all the USRA guy's should try to make the Isra race to get some time on the Jersey Devil I sure they don't want to make it to easy on Jerry
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Anyway, getting back to slot car racing and building slot cars, last night I actually glued up more hubs and donuts!!!! Not sure what got into me considering I glued up 70 pairs before the Flats, but all those nicely stripped and cleaned hubs sitting there in plastic bags were a temptation I could not resist. And, I just ran out of 3M glue with this batch, I've lost count of how many cans of that stuff I've gone through!

Letting the glue dry for a while, I got back to the motor department and rebuilt a couple of customer 1/32 ES motors. One is a Camen small block with a .485" arm. The set up needed a bit of opening up, so I got out the .500" magnahone and put it through its paces. The other motor another Camen small block, this one with a Valiko arm. I just cleaned up the magnets with my .491" hone to knock away any debris. The motors went back together really nicely and draw a little less than 4 amps each, about right for a 1/32 motor.

Tonight, time to clean up the chassis and remount the motors so I can get these in the mail as early as Saturday. Uh oh, time to get to "work".

OK... So, I've had a few days to get back on a normal schedule, get caught up on work and get back into the normal flow of things. I've also had a chance to reflect on the race at PSCR. The main thing I wanted to post, especially here in this thread was; WOW! :-)

We're fortunate enough to have some great racers in the NorCal area, and in our monthly series. We often get to watch them race, or race against them, as the case may be. Although I've certainly seen "Slot Car Racer" race, I've never really "Watched" him race, if you know what I mean. Since Justin wasn't racing any Eurosport classes, this allowed me to sit back, relax and just watch the two Eurosport classes. George was amazing. (Trying not to sound like a suck-up here or like I have a man crush or something :-) )

He was fast, consistant and drove very smart. Even when he had "issues" in both classes, he remained calm and systematically went about resolving his issue and getting back into the race, seemingly not missing a beat. It was truely amazing to watch. In, I believe it was 1/32 Eurosport, he ran Herman James, who'd backed off a little because of George's trip to the pits, down and passed him in the final heat. It was a fantastic race and a brilliant display of why you *NEVER* give up during a race, no matter how many laps you lose due to a mechanical. Herman had a great race, and was smart to back off a little. I don't think anyone expected George to make up THAT much ground that quickly, and when it finally became evident George was catching Herman, it was just too late...George's car was too fast for Herman to dial it back up and stay out front.

Another aspect that was obvious was George's preperation and ability to quickly get up to speed on the track. He showed up ready to go, something we're still working on, although we're getting better! George showed up at the track, had several cars ready to go, and immediately started systematically testing, tweaking and tuning, and was very quickly up to speed. It was really cool to watch.

Again, we're in an area where we can go to a "Club race" at a "local" track on any given night, and find no less than 6 or 7 National Champions, a World Champion and notable local fast guys, and have a blast racing. We're fortunate in that respect. Watching George race this past weekend was a true treat.

On top of that, he and Herman were very helpful with setup, tuning, etc and in general getting Justin's cars (Especially the GT-12) ready to go. I really appreciated the help!

Congratulations on a great race weekend George!
    Michael Colvin