Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Dang it Mike, I am totally flattered! Thanks man. Justin was amazing, he learned The Twister a lot faster than I did the first time. I was a basket case a the 2010 Flat Track Worlds, the twisty bits made me crazy. Thanks again my friend, we'll see you soon at NORCAL, or sooner at Bluey's new place.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

A Baby Piero is in the I.C.U. right now, pretty bent up, but now we've got it stripped down to bare essentials and can start to flatten this center section. Much of the movement was impaired with corrosion, but Little Gus has gone to work and it's now clean

DSCN4711

Looking good George!

Darn corrosion anyway!
    Gary Johnson

Jay Bird-
    What cars do you run on Saturday nights at Fast Track Hobbies? Might have to come down-
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Got the Baby Piero finished up.....twice.....the first time I noticed the left pan was not moving front to rear as much as the right pan. Then I saw the issue, the left side front was bent back about 10 degrees making the back side of that part of the chassis not parallel to the front of the pan. I had actually seen this same front part of the chassis broken off on another chassis at The Flats. This Baby Piero's was not broken off, but needed to be bent back. Clamped it gingerly in the vise, then started hauling on it with lots of force. I could feel it start to bend back. Funny thing about metal, whether it be a slotcar chassis or an eyeglasses frame, once it gets bent in one direction, when you bend it back in reverse it has a memory of where it started. And this chassis (with an incredible amount of force) did just that, went back to original position. So, I completed the final assembly again and finished up the motor mount and other sundry items. Now ready to rock n'roll again.

After that adventure, it was time to drill set screw holes in the above mentioned new batch of tires on older rims. Before I continue any further into cutting rubber, time to open another box full of broken cars.

Bert: We alternate classes every week. We run 4.5" FCR each week, but alternate between the MTT and the Angel. Then we run a Falcon Purestock class on the track that is alternate from the FCR class. When we run the Purestock on the MTT, we run LMP bodies. When we run the Purestock on the Angel, we run Nascar bodies. The Purestock specs are Champion/Cheetah 7 or similar chassis (Not Cheetah 11, 21, 24/25). Also spec'd is 1/8" axles and 9/27 gearing, on both tracks. .032" clearance on the MTT and .064" clearance on the Angel, just like normal.

So, this coming weekend, we'll be racing FCR's on the MTT and Purestocks (with NASCAR bodies) on the Angel. The following weekend, it will be FCR's on the Angel, and Purestocks (With LMP bodies) on the MTT. The FCR specs are a sealed 501, w/Parma brushes and springs, pretty much any NASCAR body.

On the third Saturday of each month, we toss in a third class, GT-Lite, which is a Falcon powered flexi (Cheetah 21, Cheetah 11, x24, x25, etc) with GT-12 bodies. This class allows 3/32" axles and you can gear your Falcon anything you'd like.

We can usually wrestle up some loaner cars (Justin usually has one, Randy and Jay also often have backups). If you're thinking of coming down, let us know, and I'll make sure to let you know for sure what classes and on what tracks, and I'll see if I can make sure I've got Justin's backups ready for you, if you need them.
    Michael Colvin

Tore down my 1/32 ES motor and reconditioned the 23t25 Valiko arm. The screws came out relatively easily releasing the broken front bussbar. I really lucked out and had a spare in the junk box, I believe I had done a rear bussbar replacement on another motor. Got the endbell nicely cleaned up and dunked in acetone, then applied the Koford yellow glue, assembled the bussbar with alignment bar, then took it out to the garage to the epoxy oven. After baking checked for any shorts and fortunately no problems, so it'll be ready to reassemble for the next race.

Also cleaned up and checked the two eurosport chassis run at The Flats. They were in good shape so they went into bags. Storage until the next race. As far as I can tell the next race is April 2013!

Then, on to pulling C Can motors out of five cars. Three motors needed the magnets knocked out as they were stock Cahoza epoxy. Good to take the time now to glue the magnets with Skinner so we don't have to think about them any more. OK, time to get to "Work"

Goethe what epoxy do you use for your magnets!?!?!?
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Bugboy209 View Post
    Then, on to pulling C Can motors out of five cars. Three motors needed the magnets knocked out as they were stock Cahoza epoxy. Good to take the time now to glue the magnets with Skinner so we don't have to think about them any more.
    Looks like he's using Skinner Epoxy.

Actually if you read back a few pages, you will notice that George has almost exclusively gone to Skinner's epoxy.
    Gary Johnson

..George has almost exclusively gone to Skinner's epoxy......
    Don't I know it!

lol

Ed, That was funny!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    ..George has almost exclusively gone to Skinner's epoxy......
    Don't I know it!

lol
    Jay Herrod

Yea Streeter... Haven't you been paying attention? :-) There were like 20 posts just recently about various glues, epoxies, bubble gum and duct tape. George concluded his original decision to use Skinner was best. :-)
    Michael Colvin

Quote Originally Posted by Bugboy209 View Post
    Faust, I use Skinner, just Skinner, and only Skinner.

Yeah my bad lol!!!!! Hahahahaha well looks like I will be getting some soon
    2011/2012 Nascar SCRA Champion
    2011/2012 SCRA Champion
    Sandbag Motorsports......always keep them guessing!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/Sandbagmotorsports?ref=bookmark
    ProSlot LTD
    Third Eye Technology

Tried to epoxy two sets of magnets in two cans last night. These are Cahoza set ups that were already honed to .560". Using Skinner epoxy of course. Tried two methods. One I used my Carlisle .560" steel slug, the other I used the wedgies. Got both sets of magnets in exactly the right place, nice and aligned, then off to the garage to the epoxy oven. An hour and a half later I turned off the oven and pulled out the set ups which were sitting on a flat brass plate so they don't get stuck in the grill in the oven. The magnets with the Carlisle slug came out perfect. On the wedgies, the rear magnet decided to take a little trip towards the endbell end of the can causing me to curse and take the soldering iron to it. Better to knock out Skinnered magnets right after the baking, it only takes about two minutes of 900 degree heat to get them out instead of about four minutes. Cleaned it up, so tonight I'll glue that rear magnet in again using the Carlisle slug. So far, not impressed with the wedges. CRASH CODGER has also had to reglue magnets, I have gotten colorful emails from him describing this same tormented process.