Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    stuff like this scares me..... lol
    Ed, I am also scared by it! haaa haaaaa haaaaaaa
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Just baked some magnets in today myself and no slippage. They came out perrrfect. Oh and by the way I think I just may have stumbled on to a cure for the problem with Proslot .540 45* arms needing push starts. While using vertical brushes work it's not the only way. I worked out a comparison problem and the minimum north to south magnet tip gap should be .305. I have 4 new Koford Ultralite setups with new T5 magnets and only 2 of them have a .305+ gap, the other 2 have a .285-.290 gap and that I know will not work. There is also one other problem. Since they are in Ultralite cans the magnet pad is too low which causes the brushes to ride too high on the comutator. I prefer mine centered. I now have to remove those magnets and either install them in the new Red Fox cans I have or get new Featherlite cans. I'll probably use what I have. My guess is that the magnet pads on the Cahozza cans are also high like the Featherlite and Proslots.
    Good findings Fred, keep us posted on your project. I believe I had one push start motor up in Seattle. The magnet gap is an excellent observation and it looks like you may have put your finger on the problem. I may have to play with the Cahoza bevelled magnets some more for the upcoming NORCAL series....obviously those magnets have a massive gap, so they could be ideally suited for the very high timed PS arms.

SCR
    Got to love your use of the International language of the Smiley Face and the Sad Face well done .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SR,

I love the pictures. I have the same chassis, with the same problem, which I also fixed with piano wire. I just kept working on it till the pan motion was identical to a new one with the original parts still intact.

Greg

Finally started truing 52 pairs of tires last night and tested a medium grit Proformance wheel for the Hudy. It took a full sized donut down to .675" finish diameter in 40 seconds, 7 volts and no more than 6 amps on the Rudy. HOGGER takes about 20 seconds to do the same diameter, but it doesn't really leave a finished product, more like full wets. The medium grit wheel does this:
    DSCN4719

Even a regular grit Hudy diamond wheel leaves some stripes on the tire, and of course they go away within about 10 laps, maybe less. This photo shows some more pronounced striping, but I think it may be OK as a finished tire for road racing. I put this pair on Gugu Piero and need to put a motor in it, a short ISRA R10 body and will go to Frank's (SCRSOT2006, 2006 A 2012 USRASN) and see how they work.

George
    Did you know that you can get rid of most of that ribbing on the tire surface just by pushing on the tire shaft pulley. It moves in and out a very small amount but it seems to work, at least it does on my Hudy. Fred
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    George
    Did you know that you can get rid of most of that ribbing on the tire surface just by pushing on the tire shaft pulley. It moves in and out a very small amount but it seems to work, at least it does on my Hudy. Fred
    Hi Fred,

How do I do that with a Hudy? Is there a way to maybe put some kind of spring between the hub for the belt (there must be a technical term for that) and the bearing? Then you could tap on the hub for the belt (there must be a technical term for that) a few times at the end of the cut to removes the ribs. I'm thinking some kind of spring steel washer thingie (there must be a technical term for that) maybe at the store where you get stuff (there must be a technical term for that), oh yeah, Hardware Store. Good thought. Any ideas? My old Wright Way tire truers had some slop in them. Actually, I have those 52 pairs of tires to do, maybe I'll just loosen the hub for the belt (there must be a technical term for that) so there is maybe as little as .032" play....maybe the belt that goes on the hub for the belt (there must be a technical term for that) will have enough to make the axle automatically return to its original position. I'll try it out.

George leave a little gap 1/32 is about right, on the wheel axle and as it is spinning just tap the pulley to the right and you will see the assembly **** and slowly retrun to position. Do it as you are just about to the last turn on the adjustment knob. No spring is needed to return the wheel to the left as the drive belt/O ring has tension on the pulley and will pull it back into alignment. Some magical physics at work/law of nature thing that amazes me !

was there a typo that was turned into ****? I typed s h i f t..... I am getting old(er)

I once got censored because I tried to type "Pachinko machine" on another forum.
    Apparently they "Chink" is NEVER just spaces between plates of armor.
    When I pointed out that it is not just a derogatory for Chinese, I got banned completely.
    I hope they freeze to death when the winter wind comes through the spaces in the
    walls of their log cabin.

George
    My Hudy already has about .025 movement in the tire shaft. Infact in the directions I received with my Hudy it mentions using this proceedure to finish the tire once you have the correct diameter your looking for. If you have a set of feeler gages you could experiment with a setting by loosening the pulley.
    Last edited by Fast Freddie; 07-29-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Yesterday did a little testing up at Frank's (SCRSOT2006, 2006 A 2012 USRASN), mostly interested to verify tires trued with the new medium grit Hudy wheel would be OK. Hermanator was in residence, so it was nice to have a tire expert present. I should have known, but the tires worked just fine. Takes a good 20 laps for them to wear in, but they are fine during the break in period. One pair was .690" on a Bulldog 3 jigged for a 42T 72 pitch angle spur, so it was way, way, way above tech height. Got down to 3.72 easily on black, so those tires were working perfectly. Also tried the Castricone eurosport with the Seattle motor in it, go down to 3.19 easily telling me the tires were working well. Oh, I also have now gone back to the short version Audi R10, the ISRA version. This is after running the long R10 up in Seattle.

In the next week I should be getting to work on preparing for the NORCAL series starting in September.

Just curious George, why the switch to the short version? You can't just throw stuff like that out without expecting to have to explain the thought process you went through to make that decision. :-) Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
    Michael Colvin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Just curious George, why the switch to the short version? You can't just throw stuff like that out without expecting to have to explain the thought process you went through to make that decision. :-) Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
    Mike, I don't know how I can sleep at night without explaining things fully. I know that when you and Justin were in Seattle a few weeks ago, that may have been the first eurosport race you've watched. I little background on rules. USRA eurosport rules through 2009 Nats were "American" rules...there was a list of USRA legal bodies including the Audi R10 Long (2008 Nats) and the Red Fox Acura (2009 Nats) and the car could not exceed 3.250" in width, maximum spoiler height 1-5/8", unlimited work on car between heats.

For the 2010 Nats, USRA voted in the ISRA International rules and that is what we have been using since then. Basically those rules are the Audi R10 Short, maximum spoiler height 35MM (measured bottom of body on the tech block) and maximum car width 83mm or 3.267", no work at all between heats, only when track is on during the heat.

In Seattle they basically use the old USRA rules and procedures. So, now that the Seattle race is over, I have put my R10 Longs in storage until my next trip north to Jim's, and I have taken the R10 Short out of brief storage and widened the track to 83mm....I've gone back to USRA spec. We use the USRA rules at Frank's.

Gotcha! Ok, you can sleep better tonight. :-) I actually was confused even more... I thought you were referring to GT-12, not Eurosport, but now it makes sense.
    Michael Colvin