Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SR,

Have you ever tested the r10 longs against the shorts? i know that I never have. The shorts are fast. I'm not sure that the longs are necessarily faster.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    SR,

Have you ever tested the r10 longs against the shorts? i know that I never have. The shorts are fast. I'm not sure that the longs are necessarily faster.

Greg
    Greg, I believe you are correct. This has been a long standing feud between me (holder of the track record at Mid America.....3.803, June 2009, Red Fox Acura) and others who think the Acura is a faster body than the ISRA R10 Shorty. I actually think the Acura is not as good as either R10 so that means I was just plain lucky to get that 3.8. It was interplanetary alignment, I think Mercury was within 10 degrees of the second planet from Beetlejuice, the one where the residents also race slot cars.....anyway, I agree with you Greg, the bodies are comparable. I think that R10 short is really fast. LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY>>>>>>HUGE SPOILER.

All that said, I have an idea Greg, I will take my Gugu Piero that I ran 3.1 with on black last Sunday, and I'll try it with both bodies. I seem to remember that both bodies gave the same track time, but the long body just felt slightly more stable. Stayed tuned for further developments....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    SR,

Greg
    Lee and I have. The Longs are about a tenth faster per lap than the Short and the car feels much more stable IMHO. Please note, that is using the PNWAMCA rules with no height limit on the body (mine are usually cut a bit taller than the 35mm Spoiler height).
    Gary Johnson

SR,

That's great! Please post the results. Gary, I'm a little surprised. Gary, your findings fit well with what I was thinking say a year ago. More recently, I've found that bodies slammed in the front and 1/16 to 3/16s below max height in the rear are better (same or very similar lap times and easier to drive). But each has to be tested separately, and I'd not messed with the R10s. What I just wrote is for sure true (at least in my slow hands) for the RF Audi R8 coupe (which we use in GL ISRA for B-Production) and the JK BMW (which we use in O-12). Prior to the worlds I want to test all of the worlds bodies at max ht and 2-3 mm below this.

Greg

Last night it was back to The Land of C Cans. Took some newly reconditioned arms and started tossing them into set ups and then testing on the analyzer. So far, nothing very spectacular. It isn't exactly scientific, and it isn't exactly rocket science, but I take a motor I know is getting good lap times and listen to it on the power supply at different voltages. I then compare the new set up/armature to the known quantity. It is completely a fly by seat of pants process. Then, the next step is go to SCRSOT2006,2008A2012USRASN and put the motors in cars. There are times when the motors which don't sound very good turn out to be fast, and vice versa. Go figure. It's a lot of work.

Also, coming to a computer near you, stayed tuned for the biggest match of the year, THE R10 OLYMPICS. In one corner is the American Brute, the R10 Long. In the other corner is the erudite European. And the referee, the famous Gugu Piero with this year's Flats winning motor, the Voki 10 mag Valiko 84.5. Winner goes on the Wheaties box this fall....

With all the discussion of magnet epoxy, I wondering why everybody quit using the old school magnet clips.
    Was it because of weight or don`t they fit with the newer magnets?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    With all the discussion of magnet epoxy, I wondering why everybody quit using the old school magnet clips.
    Thanks
    Hi Mike! That is a very good question, and this is my take on it. I think in many ways the lower end products have gone from "fewer tools and less skills required" to needing hobbyists with more advanced skills. You are absolutely correct, we used to buy motors where magnets were clipped in almost exclusively. I am thinking Mura, Pro Slot, RJR set ups. I still have little plastic boxes FULL of those clips. Same for the old 16D motors. If you wanted to be sure your magnets did not move, you would float some red loctite between the can and the magnets.

Now we have some manufacturers who may be putting little metal straps which make a feeble attempt to look like magnet clips, but the assumption is you will always just end up gluing the mags in with your "adhesive of choice". The Cahoza cans have totally dispensed with any semblance of magnet clips.

Same direction for the current crop of flexi chassis. Very few are designed so you can screw the motor to the chassis. Your starter kit came with a double ended wrench....tire wrench on one end, motor screw wrench on the other end. Now, you pretty much have to have a soldering iron to mount the motor. The manufacturers have not "dumbed down" slot cars since I got back in the early 90s....instead, they have made them more and more sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    Thanks
    Mike
    Its always been my take on the clips that unless you use some kind of glue they moved in a hard crash.back in the early 90's I used them but always super glued them also . Then I started using Koford epoxy now strictly skinners epoxy once you get use to using it you won't use anything else IMHO.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Most cans are not designed to hold the clips. Also it is weight in the motor. I also think the .540 and plus arms might hit the clips
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Got back from the grocery shopping, beagles sniffing in the bags so I got them put away quickly before items disappeared into the back yard. Then off to the slot room where I rebuilt the GT12 from Seattle. That was a pretty pathetic result in that race, quite disappointing to say the least. Looks like the axle bearings had been installed by a five year old. Tore the thing down and gave it a complete cleaning, especially the pillow blocks. My hope is the bearings I soldered in this afternoon might stay where they're supposed to. Rebuilt the motor and started breaking it in but it ran horribly! Kind of up and down and uneven. Poked around the brush hoods....these were the fancy gold Cahoza ones, the ones we can't use in USRA. I got the idea maybe the brush hoods were responsible for the wacky running motor. Sure enough, I pulled off the Cahoza hoods and put on a new set of Pro Slot copper endbell hardware. Scuffed the brushes and reassembled. Now it runs nice and smooth. I just put the hardware over in the junk box as punishment.

Starting new job on Monday, lab manager at the main clinic. Not sure what to think of this, no choice involved, they just said, "you're going to be doing this now". Oh well, I guess making glasses all day isn't any different than making slotcars.

SCR
    I've also started to change hardware on my Cahozza motors to Proslot , My problem isn't brush hang up but negative post breaking off. I do like the Proslot copper hardware for sure just not as nice looking as the Cahozza. But looks aren't everything. Going to do my first multi can bake in today 2 euro motors and 1 16 d with 3 set of wedgies.
    waiting on 3 sets of 12 segment Mags from Bill Brown of BOW cobalt .2 sets are bonded and 1 set isn't going to be my first set that I bond always need to learn something new. Finally going to finish the 1/24 FX JRL today gotta get things going for The Isra Championship in September at The Speedzone NJ.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    I've also started to change hardware on my Cahozza motors to Proslot , My problem isn't brush hang up but negative post breaking off. I do like the Proslot copper hardware for sure just not as nice looking as the Cahozza. But looks aren't everything. Going to do my first multi can bake in today 2 euro motors and 1 16 d with 3 set of wedgies.
    waiting on 3 sets of 12 segment Mags from Bill Brown of BOW cobalt .2 sets are bonded and 1 set isn't going to be my first set that I bond always need to learn something new. Finally going to finish the 1/24 FX JRL today gotta get things going for The Isra Championship in September at The Speedzone NJ.
    You're right Mic, the hardware does not have to look beautiful to work better! What I found out yesterday is very interesting to me, there was something very wrong with that gold hardware and the PS copper fixed it. You should post some photos of your new FX chassis, I'm always interested to see a new build. I still like my Mack JRL chassis, it runs better than my HNR. I still haven't put together an FX yet, but I have until next April to do so. With your cobalt multi mags, it sounds like Bill Brown sends you pre-bonded sets of segments. So, basically all you have to do is then install them properly into the can? Pretty sweet!

Ricky and I switched Proslot hardware on all our motors to fix shuttering problems while motors are breaking in about a year and a half ago. I would never go back to the old stuff.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

2 sets bill bonded the 3rd set I'm going to bond. no 1 local is working on cobalt stuff so I'm going to learn it to help out my buddy's around here . I always enjoy learning something new it keeps the hobby interesting for me.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    Ricky and I switched Proslot hardware on all our motors to fix shuttering problems while motors are breaking in about a year and a half ago. I would never go back to the old stuff.
    Hey Mike, I am really glad you posted your description....I thought it was just me! Coming from you, builder of the fastest motors I've ever seen, it's a good confirmation. I think you may have just misspelled it, I think it's "shuddering", right? With the Cahoza hardware the motor does not run smoothly, shudders and stutters almost like a gasoline engine with dirty injectors. I had this same problem during the NORCAL season last year and it drove me nuts. Every time I switched to PS copper and the problem disappeared. Makes me think the push start motors may have had the dirty injector endbell hardware.