Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    2 sets bill bonded the 3rd set I'm going to bond. no 1 local is working on cobalt stuff so I'm going to learn it to help out my buddy's around here . I always enjoy learning something new it keeps the hobby interesting for me.
    How do you bond the segments? How about a blow by blow description?
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

I think the magnet clips became irrevelant in the early 90s when most racers realized that they weren't necessary just required by the rules. Most racers either eliminated the clip tension or used the smallest wire clip they could find. That was when Super Glue was manditory so gluing the magnets using a slug to reduce the air gap then just placing the clips in the can and gluing them in place was the norm. When any epoxy was allowed the clips went away. When you just use the clips and glue the magnets in without a slug you are at the mercy of the inside diameter of the can for the air gap.

I also use the PS copper hardware but after a time they become tarnished and that can't be good for conductivity. I use Tarnex to get the tarnish off then Nevr Dul to make them shine. They almost look like gold when they have a good shine on them. They seem to tarnish less frequently using this method.

George I don't have a Cahozza UL can to do this so maybe you can help me. Can you compare the magnet mounting pads in the Cahozza to the Red Fox, Proslot SRS and both Kofords (Featherlite and Ultralite). I know that the two Koford cans are different from each other and I know that the Red Fox can is the only one that can mount a .500 magnet. This would be very helpful information for those of us who are anal about centering the brushes on the com. Which brings me to this question are all your armatures the same length and do you try to center the brushes on the com?
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    How do you bond the segments? How about a blow by blow description?
    I bore out a 1/2 - 13 nut on a hobby lathe to the inside diameter of the can you are going to use. Use your Dremel to cut the nut in half so you have two "half pipes" to hold the segments.
    Lay a piece of lane sticker backing paper in the pipe and arrange you segments on top of the paper. An odd number of segments will stick to each other and, and of course, to the steel half-pipe.
    Use Koford adhesive on the segments because it allows a thinner glue line than Skinners. Even up the segment assembly and bake. Clean up the cured assembly with some diamond files and glue into your can with Skinners.

Instead of a 1/2-13 nut you could sacrifice an old can with the same I.D as the can you are going to use. There are a number of ways to make a fixture to hold the segments for initial baking.

Quote Originally Posted by wbugenis View Post

Instead of a 1/2-13 nut you could sacrifice an old can with the same I.D as the can you are going to use. There are a number of ways to make a fixture to hold the segments for initial baking.
    I sacrifice the can.
    In fact last night I just built a 24 mag motor for a racer to race with in OMO at the International Open in Dallas.
    I cut an old .480 tall Koford Open can in half. The reason I like the can is because you can line the tips up with edge of the can to get the correct height while bonding the segments. All of my tips and segments are uncharged, so I give my tips a slight charge, just enough to stick to the can. Line them up where I want them top to bottom, then fill in the gap with 10 segments (for this motor) using the correct height segments to make a 12 magnet half (I call it half because its only 1 side). After they are all lined up the way I want them, I slather a little koford epoxy across the inside of the mags. Cook them for not even 20 minutes. Seems to be enough. Then when I pull the half can out of the oven, there is a bonded 12 mag half for a .480 tall can. Then I do the same thing for the other side.
    Clean up the back of the "halfs" and scuff them with a diamond tool, scuff the inside of the new .480 tall can. Clean the "halfs and the inside of the can with MEK. Skinner epoxy the mags and the inside of the can. Give them a couple minutes to get kinda gooey so the mags hold their place a little better. Set the mags in the can, wedge the Wright Way Parallels "wedgies" in between the tips and cook.
    When you hone all the koford epoxy will be honed away and you are left with a pretty new looking 24 mag setup.
    By the way with unzapped mags, cleanup is a breeze!
    Last edited by "Dub" Wade; 08-05-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

As some of you know, I don't build my own motors, Ron Van Wagnen does, but I did break off a negative post on some cahoza hardware lat year at mid-am.

Greg

Congratulations Slot Car Racer, Two hundred pages! Amazing!!! .........................see what you started.
    Support Your Local Raceway
    AKA "Big John"
    Bring us around

only 60 pages on my PC

It is all in the way you set it up

60 pages for me too - we must both be set at the maximum.

Long pages take longer to load, but nice for scrolling around and reading a bunch of posts at a time.

Either way - it is up to 2993 posts now (counting this one) - almost hitting 3,000 posts!

A lot of great info shared here! Thanks to "Slotcar Racer" for sharing his daily slot car building, rebuilding, tuning, & racing exploits, tips, theories, knowledge, & wisdom...
    and for everyone else who has shared & contributed as well!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

The only thread I follow on a regular basis on any message board.

Well done Sir...

LM

Slotracer:
    I sent the sample to the USRA for submittal, I will post pics here of the NEW Indy chassis when they get back from the platers. Most racers read your page and this would be a great place to release photos and debut the chassis. Thanks for all the dialouge w/ the racers.
    Ron FX Products

Quote Originally Posted by RonFX View Post
    Slotracer:
    I sent the sample to the USRA for submittal, I will post pics here of the NEW Indy chassis when they get back from the platers. Most racers read your page and this would be a great place to release photos and debut the chassis. Thanks for all the dialouge w/ the racers.
    Ron FX Products
    Very exciting news Ron! I'm here to promote slotcar racing and the hobby of slotcar tinkering. Looking forward to your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweirdherald View Post
    60 pages for me too - we must both be set at the maximum.

Long pages take longer to load, but nice for scrolling around and reading a bunch of posts at a time.

Either way - it is up to 2993 posts now (counting this one) - almost hitting 3,000 posts!

A lot of great info shared here! Thanks to "Slotcar Racer" for sharing his daily slot car building, rebuilding, tuning, & racing exploits, tips, theories, knowledge, & wisdom...
    and for everyone else who has shared & contributed as well!

Paul K @ OWH
    I don't know what this means, I just work on slotcars. Does the thread end after 200 pages? Is this like water got spilled on the thread and we cry, "I'm melting, I'm melting?"

SO, Will there be a new thread started i hope?
    Jay Rogers
    Mic Byrd .....PowerPlants!!!!
    GARDEN STATE ISRA
    CRUSH GRAPHIXS...custom numbers and paint masks... just ask
    Balance By Bill Bugenis !!!!
    www.TheISraUsa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I don't know what this means, I just work on slotcars. Does the thread end after 200 pages? Is this like water got spilled on the thread and we cry, "I'm melting, I'm melting?"
    When I mentioned that Zippity & I must both have our Slot Car Talk forum set to display the "maximum", so this thread now shows 60 pages for us, while it displays 200 pages for those set to the default settings... in no way did I mean to imply that the thread had hit any sort of FORUM MAXIMUM!!! Even if it did, I would simply increase the maximum setting, or if that was not possible, then we would just start a "Part 2" thread. The "maximum" I referred to was only on how many posts display per page.

So... no end in site, no spilled water, no melting wicked witches. It can continue as long as Slotcar Racer has the time, energy, willingness to share, and access to the internet. Even if he runs out of acid flux, contact cement, Skinner's Epoxy, dog food, or Peet's Coffee... I'm sure that would only result in a minor set-back, quickly rectified by a trip to the local raceway, mailbox, or grocery store.

Oblidee, oblidaa... slot cars go on... bra (I never got that part, but it does rhyme)... la la how the thread goes on!

Post #2999 (almost at the 3000 mark... get the champagne ready)

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

Congrats on reaching 3000 posts......... okay, what's next? lol
    CK DaBoer

Knocked you out of the slot!