Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Quote Originally Posted by ckdaboer View Post
    Congrats on reaching 3000 posts......... okay, what's next? lol
    What's next? 3001... :-)
    Michael Colvin

Seriously, George, this is a great thread....more useful info and less BS. And it sorta lets the newby know a little about how much skill, effort and attention to detail it takes to compete at your level.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    I sacrifice the can.
    In fact last night I just built a 24 mag motor for a racer to race with in OMO at the International Open in Dallas.
    I cut an old .480 tall Koford Open can in half. The reason I like the can is because you can line the tips up with edge of the can to get the correct height while bonding the segments. All of my tips and segments are uncharged, so I give my tips a slight charge, just enough to stick to the can. Line them up where I want them top to bottom, then fill in the gap with 10 segments (for this motor) using the correct height segments to make a 12 magnet half (I call it half because its only 1 side). After they are all lined up the way I want them, I slather a little koford epoxy across the inside of the mags. Cook them for not even 20 minutes. Seems to be enough. Then when I pull the half can out of the oven, there is a bonded 12 mag half for a .480 tall can. Then I do the same thing for the other side.
    Clean up the back of the "halfs" and scuff them with a diamond tool, scuff the inside of the new .480 tall can. Clean the "halfs and the inside of the can with MEK. Skinner epoxy the mags and the inside of the can. Give them a couple minutes to get kinda gooey so the mags hold their place a little better. Set the mags in the can, wedge the Wright Way Parallels "wedgies" in between the tips and cook.
    When you hone all the koford epoxy will be honed away and you are left with a pretty new looking 24 mag setup.
    By the way with unzapped mags, cleanup is a breeze!
    Dub,

Are you saying you don't put the epoxy between the slices?
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    Dub,

Are you saying you don't put the epoxy between the slices?
    No I dont. Is there builders who do? If so, is it difficult with the delicacy of these tiny .030tall segments? Sounds doable, but I havent tried it.

When I am gluing them into the can with Skinner I do put some skinner along the front and back edges and top and bottom. But I do not put skinner between segments.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Bonded mags

here's a set I receive today bonded by Bill Brown of BOW cobalt .
    Found out the hard way that they are very fragile in this state . Will have to rebond a second set Bill sent me along with a set that I will do myself. Doesn't look all that hard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bonded mags..jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	11317  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

There was an artical a while back done by Josh Bauer (QuickerthanU) here on OWH. You can search for it if you are curious about an external multi magnet build. Unfortunately the pictures are no loger visable.
    http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...ot-How-To-quot
    Perhaps RickB will buld us the half pipes.

Paul if you can copy or download the picture off the pdf it might be wise to edit the post an put in picture gallery.

I happened to save it as an pdf file prior to the pictures being gone. Its too large to attach but i saved it to my sky drive hopefully you can access.
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...E827BE3116!202

I will try to cut and paste in another post.

Raymond

(edit - Raymond - thanks so much for saving & posting this as a pdf file! I have saved all the pics & posted them in the OWH Photo Gallery in the Tech Tips album:
    The First Big Mag "How To" - by Josh Bauer - I will also try to get the photos linked from the OWH gallery back in the original post as well! - PK @ OWH aka "mom")
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 08-07-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Were sheltered inside our Richmond house, the Chevron refinery is blowing up. Actually, a reporter on the news on the radio says it looks like the fire dept is getting the upper hand now and the smoke might be letting up a bit. We've been here in the Bay Area a long time and have never seen Chevron blow up like this one!

photo-63

Wife and I went out for dinner, I needed a large, thick BEEF hamburger after that first day of work in a new position at a different location on campus. Now I have two labs to run. First, and most important, the Slotcar Racer Slotcar Lab in Richmond, CA, site of the Big One of August 6, 2012. The other lab is as Lab Manager at the Optical Lab for UC Berkeley School of Optometry. They pulled me from managing a complete dispensary....seeing frame reps & choosing frames, inventory, fabricating glasses and teaching 3rd year students how to fabricate.....basically, all of what it requires to run a fairly large eyewear dispensary. Now they just want me to manage an optical lab....easy stuff compared to a dispensary. Kind of like just preparing Hawk 7 cars all day instead of preparing six classes for a national race.

AND, no more posting at work. Gotta change to an evening schedule. Glad to hear this thread doesn't end at 200 pages, after all, we've only just gotten started with this thread.....
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

yesiree, I make those half pipes. I even have some here now.......................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    There was an artical a while back done by Josh Bauer (QuickerthanU) here on OWH. You can search for it if you are curious about an external multi magnet build. Unfortunately the pictures are no loger visable.
    http://www.slotcartalk.com/slotcarta...ot-How-To-quot
    Perhaps RickB will buld us the half pipes.

Paul if you can copy or download the picture off the pdf it might be wise to edit the post an put in picture gallery.

I happened to save it as an pdf file prior to the pictures being gone. Its too large to attach but i saved it to my sky drive hopefully you can access.
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...E827BE3116!202

I will try to cut and paste in another post.

Raymond

Raymond - thanks so much for saving & posting this as a pdf file!

I have saved all the pics & posted them in the OWH Photo Gallery in the Tech Tips album:

The First Big Mag "How To" - by Josh Bauer

I will also try to get the photos linked from the OWH gallery back in the original post as well!

Done! Original thread here

- PK @ OWH aka "mom"
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 08-07-2012 at 02:14 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

That was quick.

Both Paul and RickB thanks you two are very quick with online stuff.
    All but one photo is on the down and dirty PDF that was saved. One when I was copying had already "X"ed it self and I was unable to dwonload.

Raymond

It actually wasn't that quick... but I did it while you were sleeping.

Thanks again for saving the article to pdf - just as you did with the Hillclimb rebuild article when I had changed servers.

Did you happen to save the "Painting 202" thread as well (the second one by Rob Hanson)? Those pics were on another lost Photobucket account, and I didn't save them.

I am hoping to dig through some of this thread and turn some of Slotcar Racer's pearls of wisdom and slot car knowledge into photo articles, that would make them readily accessible in a Tech Tips section on the OWH Photo Gallery and/or on OWH.

The Slotcar Racer index really helps to find past topics... but individual articles in a dedicated section would make them easier to find for casual browsers as well as those looking for specific topics.

Are we over 200 pages yet?

PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

You really think I was sleeeping, you forgot I work graveyard shift....awake but working.
    I did save the 202 artical somewhat to what extent I don't recall or what I named the folder or file names. I think the same way or via html. I just don't know which of the six computers i saved it on two of those computers have two hardrives in them. I will do a search when time permits since i am cleaning out the stock. At least i know its not on my two laptops.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 08-07-2012 at 06:05 AM.

BEEF..there is no substitute.

After eating my pulled pork sandwich with a salad, I headed to the slot room with my bottle of Skinner. Glued up another Brazilian 16D set up. At work they bought me a $19,000 piece of equipment to make glasses. Same price as a Hyundai, but it makes a lot more money.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

That refinery deal was a mess. Not to mention the gas prices that we will see for as long as they can milk it. Was it pretty smoggy over there, George??