Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

The fire made a lot of smoke and the air quality board originally said it was not harmful, but now they are saying the smoke was within tolerance except for one compound called Acrolein. That's something that's probably in soldering flux anyway so I'm used to it.

It's been a pretty wild week at "work" which all of a sudden I'm now considering to be WORK. Not much going on in the slot room except some tire truing and making a few preparations to go to Frankless Raceway, Rohnert Park, CA. He's down in Buena Park for the Wing Nats. I've been watching that from time to time this week, even showing coworkers the live feed on my iPhone....that's amazing.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Had some restoration work to do today, a Camen single mag small block needed to be rescued from Broken Magnet Syndrome. First step was heating up the can and getting the old mags out, took two minutes as this one was manufactured at the Camen Industrial Complex outside of Appomattox, VA. Rear magnet busted in half. Once the mags were out, just a matter of stripping the can down to bare bones.

DSCN4740

Next it was time to get out the nice new 420T X 330L singles and Skinner Dip them....backside only of course....

DSCN4742

I like to do these with a tight fitting slug made specially for Camen set ups

DSCN4743

Then, after the magnets were set, get out the Krylon crinkle coat paint and crinkle it up

DSCN4744

that is looking good George

Quote Originally Posted by palm_dog View Post
    that is looking good George
    Thanks, I like that paint so much I might even crinkle coat my lunch box

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Thanks, I like that paint so much I might even crinkle coat my lunch box
    You do realize, don't you, that once you crinkle coat your "My Little Pony" lunch box... that it will no longer have any collector value for future sale on eBay.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Got a text from Hermanator wanting to know if USRA JRL Indycar is ball bearing axle, or bushings. Upon checking the rulebook he reported back "bushings". I believe he answered his question, and this is good to know. The upcoming ISRA Nats in NJ allows bearings on the rear axle. Last year at the ISRA Nats in Philadelphia they required bushings. Other than that, just finished up rebuilding a BOW Contender and finishing touches on the crinkle coat 1/32 Eurosport. Got the motor mounted and the gear mesh came out really sweet. I love it! Made a few arm slugs, just had to play with my new Unimat motor.

George, I think what Herman was asking in his text is that sense USRA has adopted other Orgs rules for both the Eurosport and Indy Car classes will USRA be using the updated Orgs rules instead of past rules. This year USRA updated the USRA Eurosport rules to current 2012 ISRA rules for the single F1 body and sticker fronts. To be consistent USRA would also use the current American ISRA rules for Indy Cars. Not only would that be consistent but also the local ISRA racers would not have to change their cars for one race only.

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Got a text from Hermanator wanting to know if USRA JRL Indycar is ball bearing axle, or bushings. Upon checking the rulebook he reported back "bushings". I believe he answered his question, and this is good to know. The upcoming ISRA Nats in NJ allows bearings on the rear axle. Last year at the ISRA Nats in Philadelphia they required bushings. Other than that, just finished up rebuilding a BOW Contender and finishing touches on the crinkle coat 1/32 Eurosport. Got the motor mounted and the gear mesh came out really sweet. I love it! Made a few arm slugs, just had to play with my new Unimat motor.
    ISRA USA has allowed bearings in the JRL class for some time now. When the rules for last years ISRA Nats were released there was a misprint in them requiring bushings for the class. To avoid confusion at the race the organizers decided to abide by the rules as printed.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Swanson View Post
    ISRA USA has allowed bearings in the JRL class for some time now. When the rules for last years ISRA Nats were released there was a misprint in them requiring bushings for the class. To avoid confusion at the race the organizers decided to abide by the rules as printed.
    1/24 Scale IRL/Indy Car

A. Chassis
    5. Must utilize bushings only. Ball bearings are NOT allowed.
    Asking all things relevant-

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    1/24 Scale IRL/Indy Car

A. Chassis
    5. Must utilize bushings only. Ball bearings are NOT allowed.
    From post #29 in Race Announcements - Major Events / ISRA USA North American Scale Championships July 14-17, 2011

01-24-2011 09:02 PM#29

Originally Posted by Casey Scott

Jerry,

According to the rulebook you posted, axle ball bearings are (illegal) for JRL. Is this a mistake, because i know that we can run BB in JRL at the iSRA/USA series. Please clarify.

Thanks
    Casey,

In an effort to keep the rulebook from being a moving target, axle ball bearings in JRL will not be legal for the ISRA USA North American Championship race. I do not want to make any rule changes from what was posted in conjunction with the race announcement. This will ensure that everyone who attends the race is reading from the same rulebook. It will not only increase fairness to all involved, but will also provide conclusive evidence as to what is and is not legal without flipping through multiple versions of the rulebook should someone challenge the rules.

I know this decision may not be popular with everyone, but I, and some others involved, truly believe that keeping the rulebook as static as possible is more beneficial to the race than making a second version of the rulebook for a minor component change.

I know some of us may have bearings in their JRL cars and may need to swap them out for a pair of bushing, myself included, but it is a lot easier to to do that than defend the rational for revising the rulebook if we make the change. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Jerry123
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Swanson View Post
    From post #29 in Race Announcements - Major Events / ISRA USA North American Scale Championships July 14-17, 2011

01-24-2011 09:02 PM#29

Originally Posted by Casey Scott

Jerry,

According to the rulebook you posted, axle ball bearings are (illegal) for JRL. Is this a mistake, because i know that we can run BB in JRL at the iSRA/USA series. Please clarify.

Thanks
    Casey,

In an effort to keep the rulebook from being a moving target, axle ball bearings in JRL will not be legal for the ISRA USA North American Championship race. I do not want to make any rule changes from what was posted in conjunction with the race announcement. This will ensure that everyone who attends the race is reading from the same rulebook. It will not only increase fairness to all involved, but will also provide conclusive evidence as to what is and is not legal without flipping through multiple versions of the rulebook should someone challenge the rules.

I know this decision may not be popular with everyone, but I, and some others involved, truly believe that keeping the rulebook as static as possible is more beneficial to the race than making a second version of the rulebook for a minor component change.

I know some of us may have bearings in their JRL cars and may need to swap them out for a pair of bushing, myself included, but it is a lot easier to to do that than defend the rational for revising the rulebook if we make the change. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Jerry123
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215
    Great call guys, one step closer to a unified set of rules for this class. Regardless of what is done later at least now they are on the same page.
    Ron T

Axle bearings are legal in GL ISRA. They should be in NE ISRA as well (based on my previous discussion with Lou Pirro and I think either Jerry H or Casey (I forget which)), tho as both of the above posters note, this has vacillated in NE ISRA from time to time.

Greg

Garden State ISRA allows axle bearings it was just last years Nats in Philly that they where not allowed do to the misprint in the first set of rules
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Going to throw some socal flavor into this "scr" forum....So last night on the bench started thrashing away and building some cars for this weekend at buena park...So got two irl cars ready.. One an older jk spring steel I have had for years and a newer chettah irl chassis... Tired the c7 irl earler in the day at pch-had a hawk 6 stock motor geared at 12:42--Was haveing a little hard time handling around the track..So pulled out some lead to adjust, got it pretty good but still not great...Found one of the front bushing came unsoldered...will fix that when I get home... Decide going to set the jk spring steel up with a 13-44 gearing--Will see how this works saturday morning.....Had a few falcon lmp cars built and tested ..With all the variables in chassis found that the c-11 still is fastest and handles the best on PCH flat track, hopefully will handle the same on MTT at buena park....On to gt-12, had a couple cars built- 3 asp 4 and one bsp2010...well I found bsp dont handle too good with front up rights solder to chassis due to lost the support in last race- so pulled motor and scraped that chassis into box...As far as the 3 asp cars, found one cars handles real well and the other two had motors that were just too slow.. When I got home pulled those two motors out and install 2 new "quicker engineering" 12 motors ....Will try both saturday morning,during test and tune at buena park...
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Axle bearings are legal in GL ISRA. They should be in NE ISRA as well (based on my previous discussion with Lou Pirro and I think either Jerry H or Casey (I forget which)), tho as both of the above posters note, this has vacillated in NE ISRA from time to time.

****Looking at the isra usa website all rulebooks show that bearings are legal besides the champingship rulebook...Even the master rule book says they are legal...???hmm...
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"