Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

MYTH BUSTERS

Saturday, August 18, 2012
    Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif (SOT20062008A2012USRASN)
    In attendance: Frank Sarkela, Ryan McDaniel, Rusty Toy, Hermanator, Slotcar Racer

The test: Once and for all (?) which R10 is fastest?

The car: Castricone Brazil Special. Voki 10 mag, Valiko Aluminum Comm 18t24.5, tyres: Hermanator, Guide: Cahoza, Gears: Vitula 6:45
    DSCN4748

The bodies: Red Fox Audi R10 ISRA Version (Short)
    DSCN4750
    The bodies: Red Fox Audi R10 Long Version
    DSCN4746
    The car.....the bodies.....
    DSCN4747

Results:
    Testing started at 3:30pm on the Testarossa. Perfect temperature, not too hot, not too cold. Track conditions excellent. BLACK LANE
    Started with Audi R10 ISRA version with several slow warm up laps, then picked up speed. Best time 3.19
    Next, Audi R10 Long Version: a few warm up laps then times dropped past the previous mark to 3.05.
    Hermanator comments: "that's over a tenth and a half"
    Next, back to the Audi R10 ISRA version: 3.04
    Looks like the car and the tyres are starting to work better and better...so, we better switch the bodies a few more times
    Next, the Long Version again: 3.02....and finally
    The Short Version: 3.02

Conclusion: the car looks the same, drives the same, runs the same time.

Myth busted: the Audi R10 Long was not faster than the Audi R10 ISRA
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Racer:
    That is great news and an excellent way to present it, all things being equal the bodies are virtually identical. Was there any parts of the track that one body excelled over the other and why. I know stuff happens fast in just a tick over 3 seconds, but any info may help.
    Thanks Ron T

Dear Mr. Slotcarracer Please add "mythbuster" to your long line of accomplishments. Well done. Did you repeat the test on the orange or red lane?
    Why do I do this to myself?

Thanks for the encouraging words Ron and Wallbasher. In answer to your questions Ron, we only ran it on black which is the shortest lane on the Testarossa, but it also has tight turns......the deadman is tight, the donut is the short way around, and in the esses the first and third turns are tight. Herman and I could not detect any difference in how the car LOOKED on the track, i.e. the car did not kick out any more or less with each body. One thing I did leave out, both bodies could be pushed equally hard. I was getting faster and faster lap times and switching the bodies back and forth. Quite honestly, with each change of body I could not tell the difference. Wallb, your suggestion is a good one, to try red and orange too. I will do that next time I go up to SCR.

Running 3.02 on black is really fast, we rarely break the 3 second barrier. I think pushing this car further would risk a catastrophic wreck, but it would also yield a 2.9...I'm sure of that given perhaps another 20 laps.

Some racers have suggested that the long body is always faster. I've never believed that. There's two things about the R10 ISRA, first it has a lower c.g. and second, the spoiler produces a ton of downforce. It does not matter how high your spoiler is.....it will push down and create drag the same if it is 35mm high or 2" high....a spoiler is a spoiler. I think the lower c.g. is a big contributor to the success of the ISRA body. OK, more testing ahead!

Racer:
    It may be just me, but the ISRA version seems to produce less side wash in the corners on the track in Bristolville, could this be due to the shorter length making it more stable.
    Thanks Ron

Were both rear wings mounted in the same position? You usually run yours to just cover the rear tires. That means you mounted the long body with the extra length forward correct?
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    Were both rear wings mounted in the same position? You usually run yours to just cover the rear tires. That means you mounted the long body with the extra length forward correct?
    The R10 Long is way, way, way too long to "just cover the rear tires". Just the opposite actually. With some experimenting moving the body forward and back over a range of about five pin holes, I settled on about 3/16" space from front of braid on the guide to the front of the body. I.e., it was not shoved all the way to the rear, this gave it too much bite and it lost stability. I did that testing leading up to the Flat Track Worlds last month, both for the Horky and the Castricone....I had not run the long body on those chassis before. The short R10 is not mounted the same either with the body pushed as far forward as possible. Remember, it's not a regular Castricone with floating guide, this is a solid guide chassis. It seems to work best with the slightly more rear wing mount. The thing is blazing fast on the Testarossa. My Horky chassis from The Flats is all apart in storage in its plastic bag. My Castricone isn't in storage yet, I'm keeping it around for future motor testing.

Slotcar Racer
    Have you heard anything about the Dubick eurosport chassis from Russia? I see Pacific Slot Car Raceways selling them. They look alot like a Horky with little things changed.
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    slotcar racer
    have you heard anything about the dubick eurosport chassis from russia? I see pacific slot car raceways selling them. They look alot like a horky with little things changed.
    ***scott at pch is selling them as well....they look like a little from horky chassis and 1/24 peiro chassis from italy all in one chassis....have not heard of much testing with them yet!!!
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

I'll be using the 2012 PMP GT12 chassis at the Wade 500 this year as I hear it works well and its even lighter then his previous GT12 chassis

Sorry the photo I posted was of the newest PMP GT12 2013 not the 2012 which I have setup for Eurosport.

I haven't heard anything on the Dubrick, has anyone seen or heard any results?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012 PMP GT12..jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	11380
    Last edited by EdC; 08-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.

someone on here got one and was asking for help with the chassis setup and giving a blow by blow of testing. Don't remember the thread, but no really good info, since I didn't know the racer. what i mean is don't know if he is a good scale racer like our very own slotcar racer. i run a 2013 PMP for gt12 and euro and am planning on getting one to test with. $215 isn't bad for an assembled chassis

It's a good price for sure. I do not know who Dubric is. Does anyone know? We all know Horky is #1 in the scale racing world (and not too shabby in the air cars), and Piero must be #2 or 3 (haven't checked) and I have seen both of those guys race. They are awesome. Awesome. They both design chassis. I stay in touch with Piero by email and I can tell you he is constantly trying new stuff and playing with prototypes. Horky is the same, I follow his stuff on the BSCRA magazine. Really interesting stuff in that rag after the Malmo warm up race. But Dubric? To me that chassis looks good quality in the photos, but what others have said already, it has elements of Horky and of Castricone. He has done something creative with the center of the chassis. I only own two 1/24 ES chassis myself, a Chicago Horky and the Brazil Castricone. Between those two I am happy at the moment. Only time will tell how Dubric's chassis works, but I am not particularly waiting with baited breath. I wonder where that phrase came from anyway....

Bated breath
    Breathing that is subdued because of some emotion or difficulty.

or
    baited.... means you were fishing caught nothing so you ate the shinners..... it's too early to even imagine that.

To me that chassis looks good quality in the photos
    or did you mean to say

"To me chassis looks good quality in photos" with medium to heavy Russian accent.

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

SR,

Thanks so much for the body test! Very well done.

Greg