Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I sent a note out to the group just now about my trip to Carson City
    Crash! great to see you at Carson- I am not on that email list would you mind emailing it to me?

Jason
    Asking all things relevant-

SR,

I am thinking that you need our help. Please post your boss' email and we can all write him to request that you not get any more promotions!

Greg

Thanks Greg, I'm hoping this period is a temporary glitch in the life of Slotcar Racer. I have to admit that since this change, when I get home all I have energy for is sitting in front of the TV staring at garbage with the two beagles on the sofa next to me. That's pretty relaxing, but I'm not getting any real work done.

Three day weekend is really well timed. I have a Horky 1/32 Eurosport in critical condition (bent rails....downward bow), finish a NORCAL GT12 for Hermanator, and mount some bodies for Johnny Lee. Along with that, for myself I am building four NORCAL C Can set ups and my own Brazilian D Can set up (D2). The C Cans are going to be for Koford small diameter arms, time to revisit them after three years of nothing but big arms. It's always a good idea to retrace your steps from time to time.

So, it's gonna be a busy weekend of slot work. I'll try to get some photos posted.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SCR
    Know the feeling .Been very busy with work myself. its hard to get motivated but need to get my but in gear started masking some body's only like 10 to do slowly getting cars ready and motor work done have less then 2 weeks so need some 5 hour energy about the time i finish the day job that should carry me through until 10 or so. a week of that and everything should be ready.Nothing like a little slot car cramming .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Making progress. Got Hermanator's new GT12 done last night, and glued some T5s into a B52 can I got got David. Right now finishing up the grocery trip.

Just opened a new bulk pack of gold dust pro brushes and every pair so far I've had to sand a little with 600 grit to get to fit anyone else having this problem
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Just opened a new bulk pack of gold dust pro brushes and every pair so far I've had to sand a little with 600 grit to get to fit anyone else having this problem
    Same issue here. The performance seems to be ok.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

I recently bought a six pack of SBF IIs and noticed that the color is more redish-orange and not gray like my older SBF IIs. They also seem like they were softer when I pre radiused them. They fit fine and seem to work OK also.
    Mic, did you measure the brushes to see if they were indeed a different width? What was the difference from the older Gold Dust brushes?
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Mic:
    Back in the day, Joel told us to do the same thing so we would knock off the "crust" as he called it, the brush has a completely different look when you do it. Has anyone else heard of this or do it for that reason ?
    Ron T

Jerry is right about not seeing a performance difference .back in the seventy's we had to sand them a little don't mind doing it just a short step. Old brush .109 height .1245 width new brush .110 height .126 width. looks like it's just enough to bind them in the hood also noticed that they seem a little harder when you radius them which is a good thing in my book.
    Ron
    the brush looks like copper when you clean them up to get them to fit and haven't had any problems with them will try a little longer water break in today and see if they hold up . had to go to 15 seconds the last year and a half because they where softer then usual will try the old time of 45 seconds and report.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

This has been a really fun morning if your idea of fun is hitting yourself in the head with a sledge hammer. This Horky had bent rails on one side and I thought if I took it apart this far I could straighten it
    DSCN4770

But I must have been taking some Silly Pills this morning.....had to go further to get it right
    DSCN4771

And you can see why you have to remove all the front stops too. With the chassis down to these bare bones, it is much easier to work on those little spindly side rails. Got this one straightened out finally. Now time to clean all the parts and put it back together.

Scr
    Starting to get work complete new FX JRL is done and HNR JRL is also been rebuilt G-10 on block now with B-Pro to follow 10 bodies masked ready for paint. Hopefully my new comm lathe with all the upgrades gets here today along with 2 euro cans Dave L zapped for me. will post pic tonight of JRLS
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Hi guys,
    Is the FX JRL the same F1/Indy chassis as before with the ears?????????OR IS IT A NEW DESIGN WITH LESS BRITTLE STEEL....I've found the ears to to quite brittle...ie they get broken off in crashes on our hillclimb...UGLY...other than that it's a pretty good chassis..Though I like the HNR much better...Only issue with it is being careful to not run over other cars on our flat track and on the hillclimb...I've racked up more than my share of "FREQUENT FLYER MILES" catching people too quickly...anyone else ouit there have this problem with the original FX besides me and the rest of the FRESNOIDS who have broken the ears off of their FX's?????????????????????
    Keep em in the slot..
    later crash
    If you're serious about Slotcars get Cars By Crash

Crash the 1 I just built was the old chassis with the ears . He has a new 1 coming out but haven't seen it yet. My first 1 i had 4 years ago I broke 1 of the ears off.I have an HNR that i love .
    but still liked the FX on certain tracks. I have a Mack also but never gave it much time on the track for tuning . the Mack has more bite then the other 2..
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Hi guys,
    Is the FX JRL the same F1/Indy chassis as before with the ears?????????OR IS IT A NEW DESIGN WITH LESS BRITTLE STEEL....I've found the ears to to quite brittle...ie they get broken off in crashes on our hillclimb...UGLY...other than that it's a pretty good chassis..Though I like the HNR much better...Only issue with it is being careful to not run over other cars on our flat track and on the hillclimb...I've racked up more than my share of "FREQUENT FLYER MILES" catching people too quickly...anyone else ouit there have this problem with the original FX besides me and the rest of the FRESNOIDS who have broken the ears off of their FX's?????????????????????
    Keep em in the slot..
    later crash
    Fred:
    We use the same steel that was used for wing racing, nothing brittle about it. Chassis design is a tradeoff between performance and realibility, the ears can easily be beefed up, but that would change the balance on the car. The chassis is very fast and wins most of the time, which is why you choose to race it I am guessing. With all the wins and championships you have, you know a fast car when you drive it, imagine what the front end would look like w/ NO protection, just a tradeoff. PM me and I am sure we can work something out
    Thanks Ron