Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

The guys at the race last night were saying they're missing my posts, so this is what I said: my old job at the student health center was managing an entire dispensary, all the eyeglass frames, stocking lenses, making glasses and teaching an optometry student each day. They yanked me out of that great job and put my in charge of the main optical lab up on campus, so now I don't have computer time in the morning before "work". Really sucks. I'm in a windowless laboratory all day (except I escape at lunch) just making glasses and waiting for this other old fart to retire. Wish he'd do us a favor and leave. I will try to post more during lunch from the iPhone, but the keyboard is a nightmare.

Racing went well last night on the Testarossa....more of a challenge for sure on the Blue King. My God Frank was ballistic on the King track, but I was even more impressed with Jaybird who missed the win by only a lap. He just didn't come off the track and the car was stout. Frank should have won my a lot bigger margin but he fell off almost as many times as I did. I don't know how people drive on these big banked tracks, it remains a challenge to me!

The GT12 race was really good, I think I fell off only a few times including this weird little hop and jump in the esses with a minute to go in the last heat! Knocked off the old lap record of 341 with a total of 357. My car was by far not the fastest, but I would say it beat everyone hands down with handling and balance. I saw some cars that went so fast I couldn't believe it, but not enough handling to be consistent. Vegas was nutty fast with a 3.507, another lap time record. Fast race. Jaybird was really quick and Hermanator ran a brand new car giving it a shake down run. Son Jaden pitted for Hermantor. Cool night. Happy Birthday Frankie!
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Racers:
    How about this, the spacer plate used between the top and bottom pcs will have a duplicate set of front end entensions that can be dremeled off if you choose too. That will effectively double up the thickness of the front wheel protection. If that does not take care of the problem, I do not know what to tell you.
    Thanks Ron / FX

Jerry Herbert ran 1 with 1 of those pieces broke off and won a lot of races like that
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Overload will Robinson!

SCR:
    There so many post pages it superemposing into the thread now! At first i thought I needed new glasses but no matter what browser I use it still does it. Plus ads tend go all over the place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scroverload3..jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	11443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scroverload2..JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	11442

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 09-10-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Testing other glasses. Actually Bumping the dang Amazon ad down line so I can view what I posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    Testing other glasses. Actually Bumping the dang Amazon ad down line so I can view what I posted above.

I had to switch to hybrid view some time ago but it has helped.
    Alan Ingram

As long as you can see the page numbers and the ads... I'm ok with that!

Sorry 'bout all the ads... but I gots to pay the server bills somehow...

(Somebody... buy a new Kindle already! LOL)

PK

P.S. The page numbers don't cover up the post on mine - but probably because I have mine set to display 50 posts per page.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sitting at Cafe Strada at the corner of Bancroft Way and College Avenue. Having an Americano with a piece of Apple Cloud. Yesterday I reglued two 16D set ups both to .575" airgaps. This was what Jaybird suggested, and indeed I noticed the "blueprinted 16D set up"'by Pro Slot says .575" airgap. I know very little about 16Ds, so any suggestions are welcome. My attempt on Saturday night was unsuccessful, a .560" diameter Pro Slot arm with timing that looks higher than 45*. I had a Gugu set up with D2s at .580" and the motor had almost no brakes or any torque coming out of the short chutes. Might be the arm is cranked too high.

Anyway, 16Ds are a side show at the moment. This week I need to get on my GT12 and LMP programs for NorCal...just a few weeks away.

George,

My guess is that since you have a pretty high timing on that arm, you might need to drop the gear ratio a tooth or two on the pinion side to let it wind out more. What did you have it geared at? It is interesting that you are talking about the 16D's. Phil Olsen was over from Yakima on Saturday and we were talking about the upcoming Wade 500. I asked him about his NASCAR that he will be using over there as I was thinking about building one myself for that race. His arm is a 50 degree, and he has it geared REALLY low. He said it has no torque so you really have to stay on it and have it really wind out. I haven't decided if I'll build a motor yet. I need to go through my old stuff and see if I still have one that I can build up. Just don't feel like buying a motor for this one race on a car I won't ever race again.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

My guess is that since you have a pretty high timing on that arm, you might need to drop the gear ratio a tooth or two on the pinion side to let it wind out more. What did you have it geared at? It is interesting that you are talking about the 16D's. Phil Olsen was over from Yakima on Saturday and we were talking about the upcoming Wade 500. I asked him about his NASCAR that he will be using over there as I was thinking about building one myself for that race. His arm is a 50 degree, and he has it geared REALLY low. He said it has no torque so you really have to stay on it and have it really wind out. I haven't decided if I'll build a motor yet. I need to go through my old stuff and see if I still have one that I can build up. Just don't feel like buying a motor for this one race on a car I won't ever race again.
    50 is barely too much timing for my track is what I have found. 45 is what I run until I can get 47
    I have also found a .575 air gap to be too large. Not enough brakes. .572 is perfect. They are very easy motors to build. Just slug mags in at .572 and no honing is necessary. I think it is definitely worth the Build Gary, as it will have a good showing even on a Thursday night and should be a fun race!
    I have seen plenty of different configurations for 16D go fast, this is just what I have found.

16Ds are a very popular motor Gary, so when your done if you decide you dont want it, Im sure you can get rid of it for a fair price on OWH.

See ya guys soon
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

heck Gary, what about next years 500, if you race that guy once a year, heck it'll last you forever!

Gary
    I have a bunch of 16d motors we run bearings in can side. Would be happy to freshen up a couple and loan them to you. G-10 with high down force body's is our biggest turn out for our Garden State series and they run real well. Haven't tried timing over 45* yet .going to order a 47* just to give it a try.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks for the offer Mic. But I think I'm going to look in my junk box and see what I have. If I have a can, I'll get a new arm and use it. Otherwise, I'll just pass on this class. I already have too many cars to build before the race!
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    George,

Hi Gary. On Saturday I started with the high timed arm in the Gugu set up with the .585" airgap....obviously that was wayyyyyyyy too wide. No brakes, no snap, no nuttin'. Next I put a pair of Camen regulars on the motor....just took off the tire and changed out the springs. Went to the track and it was only marginally better on brakes. Camen regular is pretty heavy! So, spring tension did nuttin'.

Next, pulled the motor and swapped out the 12T pinion for an 11T. Lap times were the same, brakes just a little better, but still no nuttin'.

Justin Colvin then loaned me the motor he should have raced. That's always what happens, he almost seemed surprised. The rule is, when you loan somebody a car or a motor, it will always be faster than what you run. Happens every time. This was, I think, a 44 degree PS arm in a plain vanilla PS set up....the motor had a 600 lap enduro on it. Put it in my Cheetah 11, geared it 12:42, and came in only 7 laps behind Frankie Sarkie. That was not too bad considering I drove like a total fool, almost like I had taken a Helen Keller Pill before the race. Came off wayyyyyyy too many times.

Check your junk box. Better yet, those PS set ups are C H E A P, I think only about 16 bucks. Hey, 16 bucks for a 16D, that's pretty cool.

Gary, this looks like a good bet out of the Pro Slot catalog. You can choose your timing. Have Jimmy Johnson Radford order ya one.

PS-2110 Motor with .560 Balanced Armature.Your choice of (A) S16D, (B) Outlaw S16D, (C) 16D $49.30