Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Sure got a lot of work done this evening. Dunked the 46 pairs of tires and now they are sitting in the garage drying out. Quite an assortment of 1/24 eurosport, 1/32 F1 eurosport, NASCAR with .500" hubs and a slew of 3/32" .810 wides. Let em dry a few days and starting trimming on the weekend.

Mounted three NASCAR bodies for a friend of mine and found that the X24 chassis, the two piece, is a whole lot easier to mount than the three piece Cheetah 11. Don't ask me why, but that's the way it went this evening.

Finally, I found what looked like a decent Koford G12 arm in the junk box...trimmed the comm and loaded it into one of the new UL set ups that CRASH CODGER honed out to .540" for me. It's been breaking in about half an hour now, so I think it is fully cooked, or at least good enough for consumption on the track. I think 16Ds take a lot longer simply cuz they are spinning very high rpm at 3 volts. A eurosport motor at 2.5 volts only takes maybe 15 minutes because it is a real whirling dervish.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

How does the magnet epoxy in the Cahoza production setups compare to the Koford magnet epoxy in terms of reliability? Will I be able to solder and unsolder the motor multiple times before the epoxy weakens to where I have to re-install the magnets?
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Jerry, I've got a number of those setups. I've found that half of them fail fairly quick. When I removed the magnets, it looks as if they, Cahoza, don't rough up the can before they epoxy.
    Jay Herrod

Jerry,

If you search this thread a bit you will find many places where George talks about this. Essentially the consensus seems to be that the Cahoza Epoxy doesn't fare quite as well as the Koford and that doesn't fare as well as the Skinners. Having said that.... I have SEVERAL production setup Cahoza cans that I haven't pulled the magnets yet to re-glue them. The last can I pulled the magnets out of with the Cahoza epoxy took about 1 1/2 minutes of soaking the iron on the can for the magnets to come out. Usually it takes longer than that with the Koford epoxy.

The key here being you can't leave the Iron to soak on the motor while soldering it in or you will loosen the magnets. If you take more than 10 seconds to solder the joint, you are probably heating it up too much and not using enough flux.
    Gary Johnson

I just rebuilt all my Cahoza set ups that had the production epoxy and the set ups for a friend of mine who races in the NORCAL series. The soldering iron time was very consistently 10-12 seconds while putting light pressure on the edge of the magnet with my screwdriver. That, my friends, is a frightening short amount of time! The other thing I did with all these set ups was replace any Cahoza endbell hardware with the $3.98 Pro Slot copper brush hoods/heat sinks. All ready to go now for the 2012-13 NORCAL series! Oh yeah, the Koford epoxy is really very good, it needs 45 seconds to a minute before it lets go. I remember Monty used to say it works fine for C and D can motors. The Skinner stuff always takes at least three minutes of the same soldering iron.....that's with some paste flux on the can and a big blob of fresh solder.....that transfers all the heat. The Skinner is truly the king of epoxies.

Thanks all. Just as I suspected, the stock Cahoza epoxy will need to be replaced...guess that means I have some magnets to knock out and put back in.
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

Thinking a Sacramento test session is in order- I better go tomorrow.
    Asking all things relevant-

Just a heads up... Three birthday parties tomorrow, one being my yougest son's! Anyway, they will all be on the Purple Angel, so the flat track should be wide open, but you may encounter a few rentals... It's looking like from noon until about 2:00 might be your best bet to avoid parties on the Angel, if you want to test there...

Sunday's no better.... Two parties on Sunday.
    Michael Colvin

Jerry
    You should go with the Skinners easier to work with then the Koford . You can get it from Bill Bugenis for a good price that's all I use nowadays.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Jerry
    You should go with the Skinners easier to work with then the Koford . You can get it from Bill Bugenis for a good price that's all I use nowadays.
    Why do you feel that the Skinners epoxy is easier to work with than Koford epoxy?
    Farmingdale, NJ 07727
    732-938-5215

the skinners is more of a liquid. what I mean is that it flows around the can and mags better. just a warning, keep in a cool dry place or it will go goopy on you and your buying a new bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry123 View Post
    Why do you feel that the Skinners epoxy is easier to work with than Koford epoxy?
    Skinners you let air dry for 25 minutes mags and can then when you put mags in its very easy to get them where you want them . Skinners is more like contact cement the mags stay where you put them for the most part with out sliding around like with the wet Koford. Cleaner and easier to work with IMHO. you can thin Skinners with M.E.k
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Berteinstein View Post
    Thinking a Sacramento test session is in order- I better go tomorrow.
    Come on down Jason.... break in those lanes!!
    Jay Herrod

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Come on down Jason.... break in those lanes!!
    Well, I got Green broken in pretty well and Black in a little bit- I think I got a lot accomplished today... I think...

One thing I did notice is that after the rental cars run on the track it becomes slick- That is the story I am going with.

Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Any new tricks up your sleeve Einstein? I am pretty much just going with the same old junk from last year. I just built one new Bulldog 3 and I have some small arm motors to try in the future, just waiting on the armatures! Otherwise, looks to me like the same program. Today I'm finishing up the 46 pairs of tires. Going to Home Depot to pick up a 1-1/4" hole saw to drill a hole in the junky table in the garage. The junky vacuum cleaner hose is going to be glued into the hole, the nozzle pointing upwards. The Hudy tire truer fits nicely on the hose. Discovered today that sucking the bottom of the Hudy while truing tires is the way to go....all the dust gets sucked out immediately so the drum cuts really fast, and it keeps the drum really cool, even on a scorcher like today. Rocklin in less than a week, should be a lot of fun to get back into the NORCAL Club.