Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

You could try laying a piece of .055 wire along the endbell side of the motor box to reinforce it.

Just finished the fourth of four LMP bodies for Saturday. Hey, wait a minute, I only need to race one car, why did I mount four? Oh yeah, like Berteinstein said a few days ago, some bodies just work better than others. I think I have two more GT12 bodies to mount, I might just leave that for Saturday morning up in Rocklin. Tomorrow night I need to pack up the stuff for an early start on Saturday morning. I think it is about 90 minutes from Richmond to Rocklin. Bypassing Fairfield because Hermanator is on Cub Scout duty, but he will be up around 1pm. OK, time to go back to the slot room and finish detailing that last body.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Here we are once again at a NorCal race, today in Rocklin near Sacramento. Nice flat track, same rhythm as Buena Park's flat track. Just finished NASCAR with 31 entries, and now the Trucks are racing with 16 entries. Total entries today is 92, Hermanator just arrived.

I'm running the latest batch of pinion hears from Camen and Joel has really improved them further even though they were great before. This batch is different and exceptionally smooth. I'm running 7:42 in both LMP and GT12. Wow, I just looked at my watch and it's almost 3pm!!! About halfway through trucks, should start LMP before 4:00.

Yesterday's results were credible with a 3rd overall in LMP (Berteinstein 1st, CRASH CODGER 2nd) and a 2nd overall in GT12 (CRASH CODGER 1st, Hermanator 3rd). In LMP my tires starting to go off with two heats to go, so to abet my loss I saw my car's silhouette while going through the donut as it did a pirouette which beset my bet to win as about a good a chance as a brochette for a slotcar cadet. For me, that race was one to forget, but this gazette (readable on your handset if using a "smart phone") (use headset if driving) has recorded my shameful lack of listening to my own suggestion to change tires to offset the skidding chassis during the onset of excessive tire wear. I suppose with two heats to go I was playing slot car tire roulette which only made me upset while I watched my car silhouette just past Don Raeburn's car for the podium spot. Don also commented on the silhouetting of his car and many of us noted its noble outline as it stood out during the sunset. By comparison, the GT12 race was quite an experience, and I only relived it by watching the last lap of the race at Talledega this afternoon.

Wow! 16:205 not a bad "et" ratio.... Not bad et all.
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Asking all things relevant-

Great job Jason, Fred and George!
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Raceway View Post
    Great job Jason, Fred and George!
    I think only Jason and CRASH CODGER get the attaboys. A 3rd and a 2nd is not exactly an attaboy. Ain't bad, but now back in the points. At least Saturday was good learning. If you tell yourself to change tires, then change them! Don't just keep going thinking your tires will magically be OK. Oh yeah, and then there are the three G12 motor on the slotcar bench at home that never made it into the slot box for the race.....oops. That's fine though, the GT12 was not lacking for speed, but it did do many aerial maneuvers. I ended up running the intrepid Protodog with no weights. In hindsight, running ALL weights may have been a better choice!

Got back into Oakland Airport yesterday afternoon after a week in Chicago visiting daughter Dorothy, grandson Andrew and the Dad and his Mom. Lots of kicking a ball around and giggling, very therapeutic and quite a change from spending time at the slotcar bench. It was a bit strange being within a 20 minute drive of the two slotcar raceways in the Chicago area, yet with grandson's winning smile I was not tempted to hook up a controller and pull the trigger. I'll leave that for this Saturday. Unfortunately while I was away, wife called to tell me the big beagle is sick, he'll be 13 in January. His red cell count is half what it should be. He had an ultrasound yesterday and we're awaiting the analysis.

I did follow Dr. Norris' account of The Worlds and he did an incredible job of keeping the OWH community informed on the event. Congrats to Piero for the two-peat, Vladimir for his 1/32 ES win and to Matti for the 1/24 win. I'm looking forward to seeing the new eurosport chassis that are the result of this yearly event.

Time to finish unpacking. I took an extra day off from work to get my feet back on the ground. Gotta hit the slot bench later today.

This was grandson test driving the rental car

IMG_0647

Isn't it amazing how fast they grow !
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    Isn't it amazing how fast they grow !
    No doubt! My eldest Grandkid just turned 8 on Monday!

Hey George, you going to the 500? I haven't seen any comments about getting cars ready for the White yet?
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by GearBear View Post
    No doubt! My eldest Grandkid just turned 8 on Monday!

Hey George, you going to the 500? I haven't seen any comments about getting cars ready for the White yet?
    GearBear, it was really nice seeing your family at The Flat Track Worlds. And yes Ingram, they grow incredibly fast. Even my daughter was beginning to understand the passage of time.

As for the 500 I'm afraid that I am completely out of vacation time having just spent five vacation days on my Chicago trip. I'm cutting back on slotcar travels and putting more emphasis on family given how quickly time flies. I may have mentioned this before, but I'm putting my attention on the NORCAL series and the USRA Scale Nats. That may be it for now unless I magically get an increase of vacation hours every month!

Time to go back to the bench and finish the post race rebuild on ProtoDog, getting it ready for possible duty on Saturday at the Norcal Eurosport Club meet.

SCR
    Glad you got to spend some time with family. Starting a dog 3 build with the USRA Nat's in mined and the BMW V-12 body any chassis tips or body mounting tips welcome. My thoughts where to build it with all the weights in it to help with the lower down force of the BMW versus the R-10
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    SCR
    Glad you got to spend some time with family. Starting a dog 3 build with the USRA Nat's in mined and the BMW V-12 body any chassis tips or body mounting tips welcome. My thoughts where to build it with all the weights in it to help with the lower down force of the BMW versus the R-10
    Good to hear another Dog 3 being born! Truth be told, Mic, I ran the Nats with no weights at all and the car was wonderful until it got collected in the lead-on at the beginning of the race. The BMW works really well, but I found it was best a little below 1-5/8". Seemed a little tippy at maximum spoiler height. Let us know how this NuDog works.