Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

As for the 500 I'm afraid that I am completely out of vacation time having just spent five vacation days on my Chicago trip. I'm cutting back on slotcar travels ...
    Sorry you won't be able to make it! I was looking forward to racing against you again. I totally understand the cutting back on slotcar travels. I likely will not make the Nats in April for that very reason. My wife just doesn't want me to spend the bucks required to go.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    Good to hear another Dog 3 being born! Truth be told, Mic, I ran the Nats with no weights at all and the car was wonderful until it got collected in the lead-on at the beginning of the race. The BMW works really well, but I found it was best a little below 1-5/8". Seemed a little tippy at maximum spoiler height. Let us know how this NuDog works.
    Thanks SCR
    Its going to be 3 new dogs born 1 for myself and 2 are going to some racers. got to get working on them will post some pic's when the first 2 are done and ready for the mail.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Thanks SCR
    Its going to be 3 new dogs born 1 for myself and 2 are going to some racers. got to get working on them will post some pic's when the first 2 are done and ready for the mail.
    Time to order three more Dogs Mic! I order three at a time also, and they always find homes like your's. Racers are just looking for a well built and well crafted car. Right now I am breaking in Hermanator's new LMP (NORCAL) motor, this one an "O" can, T5s at .560", PS Contender 42 degrees. Built the usual X25 center with lightweight C11 pans. Sometimes I think I am insane to run those delicate pans in NORCAL, it's a total crashfest, but I think I do a pretty good job of avoiding wrecks so it seems to work out OK. I do think it is a fast set up.

Well, I was going to go to SCR this evening to race the NORCAL Eurosport Club, but the big beagle is really not well, so I am staying home with him. Yesterday he had the bone marrow biopsy on his right arm and he's pretty sore and on pain meds. Early in the week we'll get the results of the biopsy and figure out why the marrow is not making red cells...hopefully something treatable. Meantime, I better get back to the slot bench and mount Hermanator's body on the new chassis, the motor should be broken in 30 minutes or so from now.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

George,

What are the differences between the "O", "U" and "UL" cans?

How did they get their respective names?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Zipp, I'm going out on a limb with how the cans got their respective names, but to me the "O" can has the top and bottom openings looking O-shaped

CAHOZA_O

The U can is more like a U shape, actually like two U's .

CAHOZA_U

And the UL can is just a lightened version of the U can

CAHOZA_UL

The O can is a bit heavier than the UL and seems to work well with Group 10 type motors, but I don't like it with Group 12....too violent. I have never tried the U Can.

Photos from Pacific Slot Car Raceways website

Zip
    SCR is right with his explanation .The O is the heaviest with the most metal mass behind the magnets equal on both leading and trailing edges of magnets. The U can they cut some of the metal mass away on the leading edge of magnets and the ul can they lighten it further with the scallop and take more metal from the leading edge .I use the O can For 12 motors only when I use SMQ magnets the are weaker than the t-5's and the extra metal mass doesn't make it violent as SCR explained. with T-5's I use the UL can seem to work best with high power magnets.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Zip
    All my findings relate to flat track motors .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Thanks Guys and thanks for the photo links, George.

That was my thinking too

I have the UL can with T5 magnets in my G12 Eurosport chassis which we race on a flat track.

Your feedback in appreciated.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

2 new dog 3s almost ready to go in mail just need to get them to roller stage and off they go .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 dog 3 1..jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	11803  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 dog3 2..jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	11804  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 dog3..jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	11805  

Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    2 new dog 3s almost ready to go in mail just need to get them to roller stage and off they go .
    Nice work Mic! Looks like you build with all the weights except not filling in the front weight bracket. I've definitely been experimenting with the weights from track to track.

Anyway, I finished up retreading my hubs from the Rocklin NORCAL race, they're in tire bottles, labelled and in the tire fridge. And now, I am inspired to get to the Horky 1/32ES project.

DSCN4778

About 3 weeks ago I received replacement parts from Recek for my two older Horky chassis. Many thanks to Pavel Fleisig for his intervention and support. Of course, both those guys did a great job at the Worlds a few weeks ago. Anyway, the stops are real purty...

DSCN4779

And, of course they are really delicate, but hopefully they'll last a while!

Chassis #1 was originally put together by Lee Gilbert back in 2007

DSCN4780

Come to think of it, chassis #2 was also a Lee Gilbert production from 2008! Lee builds awesome 1/32 Euros. This #2 has been my best chassis, I keep going back to it. Won the Nats in 2010, qualified well at the 2010 Worlds (but ran out of tires in the quarter) and came in 3rd at the Nats in March, won in Seattle in July...some chassis just have something special...

DSCN4781

Well, time to get to work on replacing those busted stops

DSCN4782

Scr
    The first 2 dogs are for customers.Standard build .The next 1 is for me will be trying a few things with that 1 . finishing up a euro rebuild and a new 12 mag for my self with a Bill Bugenis arm its a double wound equal to 19-25 sounds very good so far. doing the last minute cram session to get ready for euros and jrl Saturday and the Garden State Isra Series Sunday. back to the bench.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

DSCN4783

There's one little chore I can check off the list. Next, I better take a look at the NORCAL cars for next Saturday, make sure all the guide spacers are removed from the Rocklin set up. Rohnert Park has virtually no braid recess, maybe .005".

Just back from the second race of the 2012-13 NCSCRA (Norcal) series race at Slot Car Raceway, Rohnert Park, Calif. The turnout was a little lighter than usual, not sure we had 100 entries but we'll get that info later I'm sure. Many of the usual regulars turned out from all over Northern California and Nevada. Frank Sarkela, as always, had immaculate track preparation and new batteries on the Blue King. The Testarossa was prepared really well, not too loose, not too stuck...just right. In practice my LMP (X25/C11 with Contender, Red Fox Audi R10) ran down into the mid 3.8s, and the GT12 ran 3.6s all day but touched a 3.49 and some 3.5s. Of course, with eight cars on the track the times were not nearly that good except for the mercurial Chris Chakires who seemed to run eurosport times in the GT12 race. His car was incredibly fast, and besides that, it was good to see him back in the series after missing race #1 at Rocklin.

For LMP I purchased a brand new Koford Competitor arm with a lot of timing, I'd say about 42* and rebalanced by Beuf. I've had some brand spanking new Cahoza C Can set ups waiting for armatures just like this one and now finally I had my chance to load a new arm in one. The results were really good. I geared this one 8:42 and it was in the mid 3.8s. Then I put a 7T pinion on it and tried 7:42. Got 3.89! Then changed to a 40T spur.....same result. I liked the 8:42 best because I thought as the tires go down, I'll end up with a ratio about like 7:40 or so. During the race I changed tires after the first four lanes to get those larger diameter tires back on the car. As a result, I somehow managed to eek out a win by one lap over either Bert Einstein or Hermanator, I forgot who came in 2nd, must have been that "fog of war" thing, or maybe just more foggy thinking. My dear friend CRASH CODGER had a rough time. He ran a .540" Pro Slot arm in an unusually wide airgap. The car was great in practice but after a heat and a half the motor went flat and the remaining heats dragged on forever.

The GT12 race was pretty much in the bag for Chris Chakires. Like I said, he was blazing fast and drove the traffic really well, or possibly the seas simply parted for him. Bert came in 2nd and I came in 3rd with one of the most horrific runs I can remember in a long time. Seems like I was running the "Target Starfighter" I got hit by so many unidentified flying objects. Stuff like turn marshalls picking up a spun out car then dropping it on top of mine. That never has a very good outcome. I was really happy with my car car from start to finish, the motor was strong and the chassis excellent....almost full punch in the esses and in the 90. Yet, nothing could come close to Chris, his car was from another galaxy.

Next race is over the state line in Carson City, Nevada. I'm thinking I will have to take Friday the 30th off and spend the day on the track burning through tires and track cards and eating all day served breakfast.

Was that Koford arm .518?

Mike
    Koford still doesn't make a .540 dia arm so it must be a .518 . i know SCR has been revisiting the small Dia arms but haven't heard a report as of yet.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com