Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

I pretty much have everything packed and need to load up the car. We are having the biggest storm of the year so far, so moving the NORCAL race from Carson City to Fresno was a change well worth it! I'll probably wait a while before leaving, maybe take off around 8:30 or so. Heading down to CRASH CODGER's house for a two night stay in the Casa De Hood office. By later today I'll be testing motors on the 130' Anaconda. Right now, time to allow the traffic to fix itself:

**** SIG ALERT *** - I-580 East between Vasco Rd and Greenville Road 6:12 AM
    * --- ACCIDENT INVOLVING MULTI VEHICLES INCLUDING 2 TRACTORS WITH 1 EMPTY TRACTOR OVERTURNED BLOCKING THE THREE RIGHT LANES....NO ETO (585)
    * Congestion: Stopped traffic
    * Expect delays up to 20 minutes
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SCR
    Hope you didn't have to get the row boat out to get home been a lot rain there in NorCal
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic, it was quite a wet weekend! I left CODGER's house at 9:15 Sunday morning and headed north on 99. No rain in Madera. Around Merced it started sprinkling and intermittent windshield wiper mode. Further north at Atwater time for full wipers. Then before Modesto around Ceres I saw that I was heading towards an incredibly dark wall of clouds where all the scenery past it was blocked out. After a minute or so of driving into this black hole the whole car was rocking and all of a sudden I was in the car wash where you can't see out the front any more, and there we were on 99 north going maybe 30mph....those of us brave (or stupid) enough to keep the wheels turning...smart people were off in the emergency parking.

So, we also had a race at Hobbytown, relocated from what would have been an even more fun ride over to Carson City, Nevada. There were 82 entries on Saturday, five more than the previous month at SCR. As is normally the case, the racing all had to do with luck. I had fast time of the LMP race and knew the car was really good, but won a squeaker by one lap over Justin Colvin and CODGER. Ran a standard car, 42T set up X25/C11 and a Cahoza "O" with T5s and .540" PS Contender. During testing I did play around with some small arm motors but couldn't get anything close to as good as that race motor.

The GT12 race was an exercise in misery. Way too much crashing. I just couldn't put a good heat together by hitting my share of offed cars a d waiting for wrecks to be cleared. Came in surprisingly 5th overall, and I was truly surprised I finished with that result it was so bad. Went with a Bulldog 3 and a big arm motor. It was plenty fast. Local hot shoe Carl Anderson won overall lap total. In the Pro group, CODGER won with Justin 2nd and me in 3rd...only a miracle it was a podium.

For some reason, the usual turn marshaling organization system broke down, so it was done kind of helter skelter. Hope that gets repaired for the next round, January 5th in Modesto.

Just got the new FX JRL chassis kit in the mail today . I like some of the design improvement very much will start building it this week and have it track tested before the Garden State ISRA Club Christmas Flat track Spectacular at the end of the month.Also have 5 new Cahozza production set ups to start on new mags new end bell hardware getting some motor ready for Nat's
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Hey SCR...on post # 2860 of this thread you have a picture of gears on axles....what type of gears are they and the spec's on them....and it sounds like you got them from the czech's???? There is no one in the states that have them????
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Quote Originally Posted by stoneman View Post
    Hey SCR...on post # 2860 of this thread you have a picture of gears on axles....what type of gears are they and the spec's on them....and it sounds like you got them from the czech's???? There is no one in the states that have them????
    You were probably looking at the yellow gears? Those are Vitula spurs made in the Czech Republic. They are 80 pitch 45T. He sent me non set screw gears with matching 2mm axles. The axles need to be polished down just slightly to fit 2mm bearings. I glue these on with a German UHU epoxy and they are very reliable. Another way to go is to glue a Red Fox spur to a 2mm axle with UHU, then turn down the hub when it's dry. I've done that on my Unimat. I still haven't bought some Associated 4-40 aluminum screws to put in the screw hole on the Red Fox gear....that's what I saw Ernie Mosetti do at the Chicago Worlds.

I tried the UHU epoxy on the standard "holed gears" followed by a trip on the lathe... worked great!
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

SCR:
    The alluminum screw is not really needed, less is better. Check initial balance on your magnetic wheel-axle balancer after Unimat gear hub is trimmed to desired size.
    Then using the "Y" balancing principle drill two shallow dimple holes at 5 and 7oclock (or 10 and 2oclock if upside down half of earth...or while drilling) using about a 2mm size V drill bit (Deep V bit is better). Shallow drill first then follow with others after first balance as not much is necessarly needed to be removed (1/3rd setscrew volume).
    Raymond

Raymond,

I get the less is better part, but I also like easy. Wouldn't the easiest thing be to simply get some gears without holes? And the second easiest be aluminum setscrew first, then glue, then turn? Steel setscrews are by far the biggest issue in balancing wheels and gears, but I'm thinking that an empty hole partially filled with epoxy would be second.

Greg

in my opinion using the aluminum nut with glue is cheap insurance.

I think somebody on the other side of the pond makes gears sans hole. I think that the other side of the equation on this one is the run out of the gear - FWIW when you tighten the setscrew on the gear, you, in effect, pull the gear to one side of the axle - thus throwing off your gear run out - You might be off by as much as 3 microgivea****s. But hey, if its worth doing, its worth overdoing! The other thing you might think about is when you tighten the gear with the set screw, you might squeeze out too much glue-
    Bert
    Asking all things relevant-

Hi
    I go one step further
    I file a tiny flat on the axle then glue the gear on ,then screw some 4/40ali thread into the hole while the glue is still wet . It only needs to be finger tight .Then i turn the boss down when its all set .they never spin like that .
    Or on 1/32 cars i use my system as shown in the latest Slotcar Racing News .

geezer alert; count the teeth & divide by three to put a drag-car hollow setscrew @ third points. weezer geezer here!

I do exactly the same as Richard. In fact I get the 4/40 aluminium thread from Rich! Finger tight on the thread so it just engages with the flat. Cure glue and turn down. Ben and I ran gears done like this throughout the ISRA Worlds, practice and racing, no failures.
    When the boss is turned down there is virtually no imbalance, the screw is not tight so there is no screw induced run-out.
    In this case less is not better, if you check a gear with a steel screw it is out of balance. If you check a gear with no screw it is out of balance due to the empty hole. Fill the hole with the same material (aluminium) and you have perfect balance.
    Raymond, how do you check the balance when you have the gear glued on? The magnetic balancers don't give good results unless the axle has a point ground on either end!
    Woodyatoaklands

Well raining here on the east coast have outside work to do . So it looks like a slot car building day will put together new 1/32 f-1 euro I think I will be the only racer in the U.S to have 1 of these beautifully built Dubik f-1's . then on to the new FX JRL.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com