Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Thanks George! At least I know I don't need to "upgrade"

The only difference I can see is the little hook on the front pan stops.
    Gary Johnson

Pat,

Using a com lathe to turn down gear hubs is a really good idea!!

Remind me again, how do I subscribe to Slot Car Racing News?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    Pat,

Using a com lathe to turn down gear hubs is a really good idea!!

Remind me again, how do I subscribe to Slot Car Racing News?

Greg
    The article in the British racing magazine is very cool, a great idea.....except I just have one issue with it, and maybe it is because I have the luxury of my Dad having bought a Unimat in 1967. I don't think I'd want to use the same diamond bit to turn down aluminum gear hubs that I use to turn down the comm on my expensive eurosport arms. I would be concerned that when the set screw hole is going around that it might be sort of hard on the diamond bit. But, maybe it isn't. And like I said, I am looking through the prism of being a Unimat owner and don't have to use my comm lathe.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

In that same issue i like how richard mack ground down the inside of the hub to fit around a cahoza tire hub so if the glue break's free it still will not spin!!! What an awesome idea!!!
    "MAY THE FORCE BE IN THE FINGER"
    "Theres no banks in heaven,spend it all on slotcars"
    "WINGS ARE FOR FAIRIES- GTP RACING RULES"

Use High Speed Steel ( HSS ) cutters on aluminum or magnesium. They are cheap, easy to find, easy to sharpen and will take a beating. Keep your diamond for copper commutators.

Thanks, Dan! I was wondering about that very point, but I'm not a machinist, so I kept quiet. Wallbasher, you are a machinist, pay attention!! :-) :-)

Since Ron VW does all of my motors for me, I guess I'm looking for a used comm truer, as I'm most definitely interested in experimenting with glued on hubs for 1/32 ES and 1/24 ES. I agree that it'll be of little use for B-prod, JRL, or O-12 (nobody even mentioned 1/32 F1 :-) ), but it'll still be nice for the two ES classes.

Also, I'll test JB Weld against the Uhu epoxy, as I have excellent experience with JB Weld in applications that value good plasticity.

Greg

Spent Last night at the Garden State Isra club finishing the anaconda .Lap counter up and running new power supply install the track is awesome.We jumped right in with breaking the new glue in with 1/24 euros. What a great track appreciate it more now then when I ran it in 2010 . We ran some laps in the low 4.1's mostly 4.2's. Now I need to get back to motor building work piling up.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Mic
    Your magazine was posted a few days ago. I hope you enjoy
    Pat

Pat
    Thanks got here yesterday great mag. News from the Anaconda the guys have broke into the 4.0's with 1/24 euros. The track is starting to rubber up nicely. G-10 fast times 4.9's . Time to get some motor work done have 15 motors to do and 3 chassis need to be set up with bearings and flags and wire . still need a motor for my new f-1 waiting for Mr Radford to restock 45-29 arms going with the tiny camen set up single mag .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Time to turn off the 49ers game, it's looking like Atlanta is Gawronski driving a eurosport against a 10 year old driving a rental car....

It's great to see the Anaconda back up and running in the heart of scale territory. What a great new home! When we ran the Nats in 2010 the weather got muggy on the day of the eurosport race and we didn't even get into the 4.2s in qualifying. My best time of race was a 4.22. However, earlier in the week we were trying to do 3.7s, but couldn't quite break 3.8. I ran the Mack eurosport and the motor out of my 1/32 Eurosport for the race....Camen single mag small block and a Valiko 23t25. The track was so loose that day we had to really turn down the motor output. I'd imagine you guys will be in the 3.7s soon enough. Keep us posted Mic.

Hey, it looks like the 10 year old with the rental car is taking a run at Gawronski in the 3rd quarter! 24-21 Atlanta

I love the rental car!!!! woo hoo 28 to 24

Was that 10 year old Duran's little brother?

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    Was that 10 year old Duran's little brother?
    That is correct KVAN, the kid is a machine. Gawronski blew a gear in the 7th heat and couldn't find the tire wrench, and Tracy was getting take out.

Slotcar Racer, thank you for the awesome cars for this past weekends "Masters" race at Mid-America. I should have sent you all of them. The 1/32 ES car was incredible, it allowed me to 3 peat in my favorite class.