Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Mic Byrd:

Unfortunately, I don't think Justin will be making it to the Nats this year. He's 13, and obviously still in school. He'd have to miss too many days, with travel time and the race, plus there's the cost... We just can't swing the expense of flying back there and the hotel... Perhaps next year.
    Michael Colvin

Hey Mike, you could do as the motocross racing families do. Take your kid out of school, home teach them and then make them practice and train everyday and travel the country. For some reason, I think I'm forgetting one of the ingredients in this recipe?????
    Jay Herrod

It's easier to just call the school and tell them he's sick. :-)

When we were kids, your parents could take you out of school, get the work you would miss, and you could do it while you were gone. Now, the schools don't care about whether or not the kids learn anything, they just want them there. They get paid for warm butts in the seats, not whether they are learning anything. Everytime I take Justin to an out of town race, I have to either lie to the school and say he's sick, or we get a nasty note from the school district threatening to report us for being bad parents.... Nevermind the kid holds a 4.0 in all above grade level classes.... That's not the point. They don't get their money if he's not there.... So, we have to either lie to them or risk being reported...

But, I digress. Don't want to hijack SCR's thread. :-)

But, if slot cars paid as well as motocross, that might be an idea! But, we all know that's not going to happen. My half-brother is actually a teacher and teaches online to "Actor" kids.... I could swing that I think. :-)
    Michael Colvin

Can anyone tell me about the power on the NJ Devil?

Roy
    Waiting to hear from the owner mike will post soon.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Roy
    13.7 volts for the Jersey Devil
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Roy
    Here's the setup 13.6 volt 75 amp supply 2 6 volt truck battery's in series
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 03-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I raced at Bristolville Saturday and won B-Production with Powerplant by Mic B.
    Thanks again.

for a 3 dollar plaque?really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Hey Mike, you could do as the motocross racing families do. Take your kid out of school, home teach them and then make them practice and train everyday and travel the country. For some reason, I think I'm forgetting one of the ingredients in this recipe?????

Go climb a ladder, Fester. Oppps.... Sorry, I forgot, you tried that one alreaddy! BTW, how are you doing? Hope you're feeling better...
    Michael Colvin

Too many projects going right now. The more projects, the more work, but the less seems to be getting done. I did get my F1 motor put together, Valiko set up, Koford 48t29 balanced by Dave Harvey of Won O Won. Seems like a very smooth motor. I'll try to get up to Frank's this weekend to try it. I also want to get my favorite 2009 Horky 1/32 ES put together. One motor I want to try is my Voki 18 mag bored out to .500 with a PK 23t25. I have a .506 hone, so I could pull that through the set up too. I will also have my usual standby motors, a couple of Camen single mag "small blocks" both with Valiko 23t25s. One of these has low profile mags, only .390T X .330L...it's always been my favorite motor, the one that won both 1/32 and 1/24 Eurosport at Chick's place in '10. After the 1/32 race, I pulled the motor apart, cut the comm, broke in new brushes and put it in my 1/24 ES. Anyway, that's fun history to remember. I still think the small block motors are the best way to go for 1/32, but I just want to try the 18 mag with the theory it will be smooth.

OK, time to go back to the slot room and glue up some donuts.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Roy
    Here's the setup 13.6 volt 75 amp supply 2 6 volt truck battery's in series
    Thanks Mic. The theory many people go by for motor building is more power more magnet, less power less magnet. That is, on a lower power track use a weaker mag and/or bigger gap, and higher power do the opposite. What is your view on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Slotcar Racer View Post
    I also want to get my favorite 2009 Horky 1/32 ES put together. One motor I want to try is my Voki 18 mag bored out to .500 with a PK 23t25.
    I ran exactly that in the Masters at MA this year. I first tried the motor in a 24ES car and thought it was lacking in speed but super smooth. Tried in a 32 car at Franks last year and really liked it but ended up not running the car for other reasons. At MA this year I messed up and had my controller too hot but it really was too much motor for the track in a 32 car I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LoudCat View Post
    Thanks Mic. The theory many people go by for motor building is more power more magnet, less power less magnet. That is, on a lower power track use a weaker mag and/or bigger gap, and higher power do the opposite. What is your view on this?
    the devil fits in where in the power scale in your opinion? My overall opinion is that my motors are getting magnet bound with these high power magnets. example 12 motor t-5's 45*Cahozza ul can .560 hole this motor is awesome fast but when entering a turn it has so much brake it makes the car nose dive into corner then you have to be very careful coming out of the turn as to not pull it out of the slot. the other weaker mags I use you can push as hard as you like into the corner and out the motor has very good top end spins up very fast holds rpm well and doesn't upset the car. so I'm not real sure whats considered high power ( available amps or volts at drivers panel like wing racing) I've heard the above theory many times I'm more of what feels right kind of builder i want a motor to feel smooth and without the violent brake you get most of the time with the stronger mags. I started using a brand of weaker mags because i was told they didn't work for scale when I started back racing and over the years I think i have proved they do work Last year first in open 12 in the Garden State Isra Series beating Jerry H my buddy Rob Geibel driving and this year 2nd and 3rd in open 12 to Jerry H and we will see come April how they stack up .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Those SMQs that you use Mic are stronger than you think. Since they react like a quad you get a softer thump. That may be what allows for a more tame setup. I only have two sets in Red Fox cans but they sound strong. The holes right now are .535 and .540 with .518 arms. Im very leary about grinding them out to .560 for my .540 arms. Removing that much material will surely weaken the magnets excessively. I have often thought about running stock Mura magnets since they are in the same strength range. When I raced in the ISRA on the Devil I ran B Prod with PS .540 45* arms, Camen magnets at .560 in Red Fox can/endbell. They ran fine, I actually had the lead for t heats, and having never raced on that track before that was good for me. Poor driving and the gutter lanes were my demize.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.