Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Kevin,

Better to find out now, than in a couple weeks at tech-in!

Like I said, I have to install new up stops on my chassis as mine are broken with .062 wire acting as up stops instead.
    Gary Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    parallelograming(is that really a word?)
    I believe it's spelled with two Ms ...... ;-)

So if the chassis have to be built just like the manufacturer built it for submission would repairing it with piano wire be an illegal modification as per Usra rules if you must follow them to the letter .maybe you all should build new ones or get factory repair pieces. Isra USA 8 pages of rules and if you need to repair a chassis you won't be turned away at tech.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by KVAN View Post
    I have learned a valuable lesson here today Slotcar Racer.

Lesson learned.........do not share simple solutions to design flaws on a public forum or your solution could be ruled illegal on that same public forum. Certainly won't slide through tech now.
    To expand a bit on what Mic stated in the post above this one this is another shining example of what is so great about ISRA USA rules.

You can repair/re-inforce known problem areas of your chassis without making it illegal.

The USSR forces you to run a chassis "as is" even though it has known breakage issues.

It just seems like being able to run a reliable chassis that will finish races would be benificial to the racing program overall.
    Last edited by Ken Swanson; 03-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    SCR or Whoever..........I tried to fit a koford setup in my Tazer........I have NOT ground the Can/Mags yet but it seems that you need to remove a lot of material to get it to fit. Is this the case.........any pics would be appreciated
    Ray,

I have a Mack Open-12, a Mack Bulldog 2, and a Saunders GT-12 10. All three of them require that you gring the rear magnet to get a decent gear mesh.

Does your Koford setup have .500 long magnets in it or are they .450. If they are the .500 long magnets you will have to grind the back one even more.

Cheers
    Ken Swanson

Team BOW
    JK Products
    Chicagoland Raceway
    Mid-America Raceway
    ISRA USA Great Lakes Region
    BOWskateer Founding member # 001
    R.I.P. Monty. Miss You My Friend

Spec class should be races as per the original spec. If you allow modification for any reason people will push the limit. You will end up with chassis that the basic concepts are changed, and the defense will be "but it broke, I just reinforced it". Then new people look at the class and see custom secret modifications done under the pretense of reenforcement.

Graham

Slotcar Racer, I am working on my cars for the upcoming USRA Nats, in particular the GT12 class for the flat track. My open12 weapon of choice is my Horky chassis which is not legal in Usra (something to do with cost). I have limited experience with the chassis allowed in the GT12 class, could you offer up any suggestions that I might try here at the last minute. I have 2 Mack Bulldog's and a Saunders GT12 under construction. The Tazer sounds like it might not be the ticket, if what the NE ISRA guys are experiencing. What size rails do you recommend for the above chassis.

I am interested in the answer to your question Kevin, I am unsure my current set up will work at Mid America.
    On my track which is very very tight, I run .032 rails and a .062 bite bar for Bulldog 2. It seems to limit the pans up and down movement dramatically but the chassis has great twist. NO rear steer, too unpredictable.
    I am very curious if this set up will work on a bigger track, and what Slotcar Racer is using on his Bulldog.
    Last edited by "Dub" Wade; 03-19-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    "Dub" Wade
    Nampa, ID
    208-392-0639
    dustynwade@ymail.com
    Dub Motors, Dub Rides, Dub Winged bodies, PMP Chassis, Paint by Odie, Bone Bodies.
    Of course Balance by Beuf
    3rd Eye Controllers

I've got one set of bodies painted, three short Audis, two long Audis and two baby Audis. Audi Audi Audi Howdy Howdy Howdy

Honed out a set up for Hermanator, we'll see if he wants to test it tomorrow...but there's a retro race at SCR tomorrow, I think the flat track will open up in the afternoon once they move those lumps over to the Blue King. I got some PKs I need to try....this morning I'll put one of the 19t25s into the 455 tall single set up which has a Valiko 23t25 in it now. Musical armatures like musical chairs....the Valiko will then go into a standard vanilla Speedshop small block set up...it's always a good thing to have one of those in the box for a eurosport event. We'll see how the 455 tall with the big PK works, should be good. So, I better get to it!

Well the test run on the Tazer was not what I had hoped it would be. It run better with the pins in the rear but still not up to speed verses my BD 2. Still won't exit the curves under much power. The motor test part on the evening wasn't much better... The end bell bearing in a new Cahoza #147 failed after a couple of minutes. What's up with that!?! So I'm going to the next phase of the 16* magnet test and opening the hole up to .555 and loading a .540 arm. I'll give it a try Wednesday night before our group 10 race. This time I'll be using the BD 2... Love that chassis!
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Yeah Jeff, I like the Bulldog too. Funny thing is, on our home track the Tazer WITH rear steer was just amazing, and with a .518" Koford arm in a Cahoza set up...with a $2.00 bushing in the endbell...Tazer every bit as good as the BD, even better on that track. I'll be bringing some Bulldogs to Mid America though, it is a much more intricate track and I believe the chassis with more movement works better, more forgiving. But, we'll be bringing a Tazer too. I haven't gotten any definitive reports from Mid America locals, they seem to be running Dogs and Brian's chassis. Well, I need to poke my head outside and see if there is a clearing in this weather, we just had some hail, gotta get the beagles out for a short walk. Then, throw the box in the car and head back up to SCR to try a few things and meet with Hermanator. I think by now the retro crew will be over on the Blue King. Better get going....

Hey George, I read your earlier posts regarding the Tazer and how well it's run at your home track. I"m not giving up on the Tazer yet. I'm pretty sure I need to redo the rear steer and see what happens. I'm with you on the $2.00 bushing! Two of my best motors have a plastic endbell with a bushing... Easy to replace and easy on the pocket!

Have you had a chance to try the carbon fiber rims?
    The Race Place raceplaceinfo.com
    Bowskateer founding member #3
    Get a 3rd EYE Fetroller 2.1
    Balanced by Bill

Yesterday's testing was short and sweet. I built up the first Horky ES24 chassis from The Worlds (had been mothballed since October....cleaned, oiled, in plastic ziploc) and put in the single mag 455 tall with a PK 19t25. Tried some harder rubber on the Cahoza rims (which, by the way Jeff, are fantastic!) and there was not enough grip. Car was all over the place. Switched to Alpha rubber (Piranha) and that's all it needed to turn a 3.13. The track wasn't quite right as the retro guys had run on it earlier and who knows what rubber they had. Also tried out the #2 Horky chassis this time with a ES32 motor that was too strong for that class. It was really good for 1/24, super driveable and fast enough to get a 3.17. Very different driving characteristic than the big motor in #1. This is a Gulliver set up punched out to .491" and with a Valiko .480 diameter 23t25. Pretty sweet combination, might save that one for the Nats. The only other thing I tried was NuDog once again, with the .540" motor. Just a freight train...3.67. Hard to get a time like that with a Norcal car with a big GTP body on it. That one is in the box waiting for April 10th. Got home yesterday and pretty much mothballed all the 1/24 scale stuff....all torn down with parts in one baggy, cleaned and oiled chassis in another baggy. Now for the next two weeks I need to concentrate on 1/32 scale eurosport. The quest for grip! Uh oh, I better get to "work"....

So I got my dental loupes ordered, I'm really excited about it. I can hold whatever I'm working on at regular arm's length, so my hands can be over the workbench, but I can just sit naturally and the loupes will give me three times magnification without having to hold the work 8" from my face like with the magnifier visor. Cost only $129 and clips on to my glasses, and I think it flips up too. This will be a huge neck saver. Hope to get it for this weekend.

Last night I decided to burn the donuts off five pairs of the CZ hubs, the donuts that are harder but longer lasting. I kept two pairs of them as a just in case the track is ultra tight....then they will compensate for the tightness and wear longer. At the Worlds, we learned (the hard way) when the track is really tight it also eats tires for breakfast. So, I'll mount some regular Piranha on those freed up five pairs of carbon fibers.

About the only other thing I did last night was recondition a Valiko 22t24.5 arm, and I stared at my ES32 a little more....sanded down the bottom of the guide a little more. The chassis still has about .010" under the front even with a Cahoza guide sanded down as thin as I dare to go. So, on a track like Frank's where there is virtually no recess, I can't get the front low enough unless I add .010" bullet proofing strips to the little wings on the front...this usually helps too, more bite. I think the handling problems with the ES32 may have been from the front end not being low enough. Now, when I get to Mid America, he had the track rebraided so it now has a .010-.015 recess, so I don't think it's an issue there. Uh oh, the lenses are here, time to edge....

Image of you with the lenses required for front cover of slot car racing news!!!!!