Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

SCR
    I saw no floating front body mount on the baby car. I always thought they were a must?
    James Grinstead

TEAM KOFORD

Why so serious?

Decided to take the day off, it's a Univ of California holiday coinciding with Good Friday. Starting to feel pretty ready for The Nats, just need to mount some bodies. I might even get out the slot parts suitcase today.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

Quote Originally Posted by 86ed once again View Post
    SCR
    I saw no floating front body mount on the baby car. I always thought they were a must?
    Some builders feel a need to "make a change, ANY change" to a chassis design. Over the years I have learned to at least give Vladimir Horky's original design a chance first! He seems to be a fairly good slot car racer, builder and designer. Strikes me that if the floating pin tube up front was a good idea, he would build them that way. The fact is, the car I ran to win the Flat Track Worlds last year was a bone stock never been out of the bag new Horky 2010 chassis. I just soldered in my favorite motor, mounted the body, added a guide and wheels, and the thing broke the track record. So, I think it is possible Horkys can work as he designed it. If it NEEDS modification, I'll give it a try at the track.

On the other hand, James, you may be referring to the Mack F1? Same thing. Richard wrote to me and said to add lead like you would any F1 chassis. He has a small wire across the two pans, if you check the photo, and this prevents the pans from moving completely independently. I will test this chassis perhaps later today, and I may try it without the wire, then try it with a stainless pin tube.

Hey SCR... If you get a chance while preparing for the Nats, I would be interested to see some pictures of your "Packing" process. How you prepare to take your stuff with you, what you pack it into, etc... And, what you use for a pit box once you get there.

As you know, we have a *BIG* box... Obviously too big to take on a plane. I feel naked without everything in the box, although I know a lot of it is probably not necessary. As we get more experience, I'm realizing a lot of it isn't necessary to take to each race. But, even with packing it all in a suitcase, I'm sure you don't pit out of a suitcase, right? :-)
    Michael Colvin

Hi Mike,
    I'll post some photos soon. Just briefly, I packed for plane travel for the Flat Track Worlds last year, maybe you didn't note how Herman and I travel. I have one of those sort of soft suitcases, standard size. I pack all my tools, parts, tire truer, comm truer, controllers in separate boxes & containers. Many of these boxes are little "mailers" about 3X3X6 roughly. The small boxes all fit together nicely in the suitcase like a puzzle. I also pack my portable shelf which breaks down into four plywood pieces and goes together with a quick change system. The only box I take on the plane is the car box. When I get to the track, I set up the portable shelf and put the car box up on top, then I unpack the suitcase and put the various tools and parts boxes on the pit space and on the shelf. There's room for all that stuff. When I start packing the suitcase, I'll shoot a photo or two.

Here is a pic of Paul Gawronski's pit at the ISRA Worlds. He uses a suitcase filled with right sized boxes and turns it on it's side to act as his pit space. Paolo Trigilio does the same thing. Gugu on the other hand builds a sexy shelf complex with bits of ply he found at the trackand some steel bolts as legs, but he did get to the track a couple of days before everybody else so he had the time for the DIY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1896..jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	12517  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2753..jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	12518  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0309..jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	12519  

You're right about Horky George. He doesn't design anything without a reason. Change things at your peril.

Back Home from My moms funeral. Got all the parts I need for the Nats in mail Jim does a great job of getting stuff right out love the Service. Bill Bugenis turned around my arms very fast for me . Great Job as Always .Thank you Bill . Leaving for AC tomorrow for a few days With Wife she is off until Wensday need a few days of fun and relaxation. Will get to work for final prep for Nats when I get back..
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by patraceruk View Post
    Here is a pic of Paul Gawronski's pit at the ISRA Worlds. He uses a suitcase filled with right sized boxes and turns it on it's side to act as his pit space. Paolo Trigilio does the same thing. Gugu on the other hand builds a sexy shelf complex with bits of ply he found at the trackand some steel bolts as legs, but he did get to the track a couple of days before everybody else so he had the time for the DIY.
    Pat, I'm surprised you did not remember The Taj Mahal

DSC01226

Oh yeah, and then there was....

IMG_3228

YIKES!!!!

Smile

Try packing that on a plane

Thanks to Mic Byrd for all the help this year with motors.
    I managed to win B-Production and LMP in our Tri State ISRA series by having the fastest cars.
    It was lots of fun.

Slot parts suitcase packed, 39 lbs. Next is the big Samsonite for clothes, shelf, controllers, tires

photo-131

Who needs clothes? They take up valuable space that could be used for more slot stuff!

SCR:
    Your just begging for a baggage tear down and inspection with the airport security "inspected" tape pre applied. I would add a caustic or poision label to be sure they do. Homeyland invitation...
    RB

Nice touch....Pre inspected for the TSA! I'm sure they will appreciate it!