Thread: Slot Car Racer Today

Well unloaded truck after the Nats at NJ Speedzone . took Dubik 1/24 euro apart this car hit 1 under the bridge Flat out then got hit same place under bridge again flat out that's all it took my buddy Rob and teammate was out and my euro was looking very sad to say the least. Have it apart now and got it almost straight graphed paper is sure your friend when your trying to get these chassis right. Horky will be next again teammate rob was running in some tires and someone who will remain nameless hooked up to blue then put his car down you guest it right in front of rob flat out down the drivers panel.Thought I got it fixed before the race but blew a gear in qualifying and then again in first heat so that was that. What a great experience to see the best prepping and testing . anyone that races slots should go and spend a day at 1 of these races and see what it takes to be 1 of the best. With a little less bad luck I could have won AM 12 but if not for bad luck I wouldn't of had any LOL
    Last edited by Mic Byrd; 04-16-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    A Clean Slot Car is a Happy Slot Car
    Garden State ISRA Club Home of the Anaconda
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Byrd View Post
    Well unloaded truck after the Nats at NJ Speedzone . took Dubik 1/24 euro apart this car hit 1 under the bridge Flat out then got hit same place under bridge again flat out that's all it took my buddy Rob and teammate was out and my euro was looking very sad to say the least. Have it apart now and got it almost straight graphed paper is sure your friend when your trying to get these chassis right. Horky will be next again teammate rob was running in some tires and someone who will remain nameless hooked up to blue then put his car down you guest it right in front of rob flat out down the drivers panel.Thought I got it fixed before the race but blew a gear in qualifying and then again in fist heat so that was that. What a great experience to see the best prepping and testing . anyone that races slots should go and spend a day at 1 of these races and see what it takes to be 1 of the best. With a little less bad luck I could have won AM 12 but if not for bad luck I wouldn't of had any LOL
    Sounds like you and I were on a similar mission yesterday Mic. I did a post mortem on the 2nd place eurosport. Kind of kicking myself because I found there is still a good .015" clearance under the axle, but what was dragging was the arm. With only 1/2 hour between the A Semi and the Main Event, I must have installed the motor with the slot between poles on the bottom which, of course, makes the stacks hang a bit low. I estimated the arm only had about .007" clearance and was starting to rub, had some arm dye removed. So, if only I had paid attention to that detail I would have been hammering the heck out of that car on the last two lanes instead of babying it thinking I was running out of tires. Lesson learned!

Also started working on NORCAL stuff for Carson City in a few weeks. Put in my vacation request for Friday May 3rd.
    Journeyman Industrial Slotcar Worker, Teamsters Local 3299 AFL-CIO
    Now with "Improved Karma"

SCR
    Going through them 1 at a time got to get ready for the Garden State Isra Championship race at The Garden State Isra Club Home of the Anaconda. Saturday we will be racing all the Euro sport cars and sunday will be the series classes.
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

SCR, are you sure you put that motor in your car?

I sure would like to get my hands on one of those Mic Byrd op12 motors like Cassy had for the Nats. Heard it was pretty special!

Nice run at the Nats guys, sure wish I was there.

Just read my post. I for sure used sure an awful lot. Fer sure.

Sure looks like a good time to post because I'm caught up at work now. Came back to a broken blocker and about 100 pairs of glasses to fabricate. Fortunately the Santinelli technician came in around Noon on Tuesday and put in a new tracer and we got started. Cranked out 70 pairs on Weds. In slots I got started on Fulvio's new BD 3 chassis for the Carson City race. Also tore down the 2012 Horky chassis and found numerous issues to be straightened out. Got it back together, oiled and bagged for later use in Edgewood, WA, site of the 2013 Flat Track Worlds and 2014 USRA Scale Nats. Made my Motel 6 reservation for Carson City, seems like the best deal in town at only $35.99. That's actually one of the less expensive Motel 6s. Leave the light on. Better get to work now....

Over the weekend I mostly worked on stuff for NORCAL, but then the cars from the Nats started whining and crying over in the corner, so I pulled the motor out of the 1/24 Eurosport that got 2nd.

There's been some wondering about PK arms, so now is as good a time as any to talk about what I ran at the USRA Scale Nats in the Eurosport Main. I think a lot of you will find these photos and what I have to say very interesting. Late last year Dan sent me some arms to test. He was very clear that we were only testing the new commutator as shown in the photo. So, I loaded the 19t25 into an Al Chuck 12 mag set up, soldered it into my Castricone Brazil chassis and took it up to Slot Car Raceway, site of the 2012 USRA Scale Nats. The results were not shabby as shown by this 2.95 on yellow dated November 25, 2012.

photo-94

This lap time was set along with another 200 laps cruising at 3.0 second laps until I ran out of tire. It showed us that a newly designed uncapped PK comm would hold up to sustained high speeds. I decided then and there that this was the arm I was going to use at the Nats.

I ran that same armature for the Main Event at the 2013 Scale Nats with these results:

124_Euro_Main_Results

Kinda hard to read, but the fast lap time was right in there with the top racers and I did finish 4 laps behind the eventual winner. Now I have reconditioned that same armature so this is what it looks like and the Al Chuck set up I ran with for that 40 minute race:

photo-134

So, at least 200 laps in testing last fall, plenty of practice and a main event....no cap!

photo-135

Ready for Seattle, that's all I can tell you! One thing to keep in mind, when these armatures become available, Dan will be adding a cap to this comm knowing racers will want it, but from all the testing I've done I can tell you a cap will just be insurance and peace of mind. Absolutely awesome stuff I've been testing.

Then there's 1/32 Eurosport, not really one of my better finishes in recent years, but considering the field I am OK with earning a 4th. Notice fast time again is competitive. For 1/32 Eurosport here was the motor I ran in the 4 minute semi using an Al Chuck 20 mag set up and a PK 23t25 uncapped EDM comm....you can see the comm through the endbell

photo-136

This armature was also beating the SCR Testarossa for hundreds of laps. Good enough to qualify with and run the semi. Then for the 40 minute main I ran another PK 23t25, this one with one of the older comms with cap, and in a Voki 18 mag set up.

photo-137

I sure wish I could remember the Main for the 1/32 Euro race, but it was so far past my bedtime it is a gigantic blur. I haven't even taken the motor out of the car yet, but will do that and get things cleaned up for the next race in July in Seattle.

All I can tell you that Dan Miller has put a ton of effort and resources into these new arms, and it's really paid off.

SCR
    The PK arms are with his new 14 thousandths lam ?
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

The Nats arms were all .007" wound on older blanks Dan had. The desire was to test the new commutator as soon as possible, so that's what I did....for hundreds of laps with perfect results.

What I know now, Dan Miller is shipping new Scale armatures made with .014" lamination material. The new material has been tested in Open cars on fast Kings and results are very good. Based on this, Dan decided to go right into producing new Scale arms using .014".

I must emphasize that the .014" lamination material Dan chose to use is a premium material and not standard issue lamination stock. I should have my hot little hands on a full array of winds within the next few weeks and they will go into the same Al Chuck set ups I used at the Nats last week with more testing to follow. This, all in preparation for the next big race, The Flat Track Worlds in Edgewood, Washington, site of the 2014 USRA Scale Nats.

Dan has always made good arms. I just had a couple that blew stacks so I stopped running them. It's great to see that you had no issues with that on your latest batch and I'm glad to hear that he is going to be putting the .014" lams on his new arms. I know Jim has a bunch on order so I might just have to pick up a couple when they come in.
    Gary Johnson

When they do start capping the com's will they be the same cap as before?

Also is the new com larger like the Valiko com?

-Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

Quote Originally Posted by mazur50 View Post
    When they do start capping the com's will they be the same cap as before?

Also is the new com larger like the Valiko com?

-Mike
    Mike, by the way you did an absolutely fantastic job at the Scale Nats, I enjoyed working with you. These new commutators diamond true just a bit larger in diameter than the old ones used in the past. This is because Dan makes them very true to start with in that he machines and molds them himself. They have a clean, squared off end (see my photo). With no phenolic projecting out of the end of the commutator, this allows Dan to machine his own caps .010" shorter than the old ones PK used to use. These new caps are also smaller in diameter at .220". They will now fit inside endbells and endbell hardware much better than the old larger ones.

I know Dan has been working very hard on his arms .looking forward to trying some . ordered 7 arms today 3 12's 2 cont and 2 super wasp have 4 Cahozza production set ups on there way 1 12 and 1 cont will go to Norcal. will finish Dubbick chassis tomorrow and start on Horky also have to do some euro set ups 1 needs new 12 segment mags and will repair 1 with single mags that will leave me with 1 more set of 12 segment going to try something with a Camen set up and a .500 dia arm. have to get an email to Joel and have him do a set up for me a small block ID ground to a number I have in mined .
    Motors By Mic B
    Balance By PoppaPower
    Tires by the Hermanator
    www.TheISrausa.com

I ran a Camen setup ID ground to .610 480 with radial signals and a .510 airgap, 20/25 BOW .500 arm with 22 degs of timing. The motor ran very good and super smooth. It was good for 4th Qulifer at the Worlds in 2010. But a crash in pratices spidered a magnet and the motor went south. Then in 2011 i did a quick zap and used this motor for the 2011 masters to win 1/24 Euro by about 20 laps the motor was very soft and very easy on tires. Went 5 min heats on 1 set of tires.

I also think that a .512 airgap would have been a bit better.
    Last edited by mazur50; 04-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

At the NJ nats a I ran a Camen setup with a 480 tall 34 mag setup that I made, and a ProSlot .480 20/25 arm .493 airgap. The motor ran great but I made the mistake and ran Camen Regular springs and the motor had to much brakes. I was able to run a low 3.6 in testing. I now have the motor rebuilt and balanced and I am going to do more testing with spring tension and Camen Light springs at Mid-America. If the spring change does not do the trick I will be opening the airgap up a bit, maybe around .495

-Mike
    Michael Mazur
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot